PDA

View Full Version : How to resaw?

Jason White
12-18-2022, 2:14 PM
I知 selling my bandsaw because I never use it, so I値l need a hand saw for the rare times I need to resaw into thinner boards. What would you folks recommend?

Jason

Nicholas Lawrence
12-18-2022, 3:19 PM
I知 selling my bandsaw because I never use it, so I値l need a hand saw for the rare times I need to resaw into thinner boards. What would you folks recommend?
Jason

If you are looking to rip 4/4 or 8/4 stock, pretty much any old 5 tpi ripsaw will do. I have a D-8 with the thumbhole, but rarely use it because an old no-name I refiled as a rip works so well.

I gather some people like frame saws for thicker stuff, but I have not tried it myself.

Mark Rainey
12-18-2022, 3:41 PM
Do not sell your bandsaw Jason. I am a predominantly hand tool guy and I would never part with my bandsaw. For 99% of us, resawing by hand is miserable. There are a few who knock out a nice resawn board by hand once every month or two. The only maker I know of a quality resaw frame saw is backed up a long long time.

Rob Luter
12-18-2022, 4:39 PM
Another vote to keep the bandsaw, unless you are facing some sort of financial hardship. If you ever want/need another one you’ll pay many times more than yours cost. I got one two years ago and the price has gone up 50%. It allows me the flexibility of curved cuts and resawing. Truth be told, resawing is what it’s used for most of the time. I use it for ripping too. The table saw is mostly idle now.

Stephen Rosenthal
12-18-2022, 4:45 PM
Why would you want to resaw by hand when you already have a bandsaw?

Reed Gray
12-18-2022, 5:49 PM
Within a week of selling it, you will need it again. Unless you sell it to a friend who will let you 'borrow' it, keep it!

robo hippy

chris carter
12-18-2022, 6:46 PM
I resaw by hand because I do not have a bandsaw capable of doing it for me. If I had a one, I would use it. I would still resaw by hand often, but sometimes you just want it done without any hassle. Especially when it comes to home improvement projects where you really don’t care about fine art!

If you wanted to resaw by hand, the Blackburn tools roubo saw kit is what to get. Get the BIG one – don’t mess with the smaller versions unless you are under 5’10”. That said, many have complained about being ignored by him. But compared to a 5tpi rip saw, it’s no contest – at least 10x faster, 10x easier, and cuts really straight.

Chuck Hill
12-19-2022, 2:20 AM
Another vote to keep the bandsaw.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-19-2022, 9:42 AM
This one would do some of what I use the medium size band saw for.

Pit Saw - 7ft long - 7FT-PITSAW (https://www.hyvlar.se/en/pit-saw-7ft-long)

When I was without a bandsaw I would re-saw by making two deep cuts with the table saw and finish by connecting the cuts with an 8 TPI Disston handsaw.

Jason White
12-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Okay, okay!!!! You've all convinced me to keep the bandsaw!

:)

Maurice Mcmurry
12-19-2022, 10:43 AM
Mine will sit idle for months at a time, then some project will come along and I will use all three of them every day and be thinking about getting a fourth. One that gets a surprising amount of use is the little antique with a 1/4 inch, 24 TPI blade. The many varieties of blades available is one of the big attractions for me.

steven c newman
12-19-2022, 10:48 AM
Something else that makes resawing easier....either a kerf plane...or, like I do...use the tablesaw to mill a kerf for the D8 to follow. They do make a kerf cutter plane, too.....that the Frame saws use....

Christopher Charles
12-19-2022, 4:32 PM
Jason, that's a relief. My bandsaw is the very last power tool I'd let go...

Jim Koepke
12-19-2022, 5:29 PM
Okay, okay!!!! You've all convinced me to keep the bandsaw!

:)

Thanks, it saves me the time of getting in line to express my thoughts that you keep it.

Even my wimpy 10" bandsaw with the plastic frame was better than no bandsaw. Now my 14" bandsaw takes care of the tough jobs.

That would be a bear by hand.

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
12-19-2022, 10:36 PM
I make do with the bandsaw, but a Roubo-style frame (https://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/why-you-need-a-resaw-frame-saw/)
saw paired with a Kerfing plane (Search Tom Fidgen Kerfing Plane on You Tube) are on my bucket list.