PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #10 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
01-26-2006, 4:31 PM
Thursday January 26th, 2006

Today was backfill day as attested by the photos included with this post.

I had to leave before it was completed, but I'm sure it's all done, at least for now.

WOW! I am going to have to do some serious thinking about the grades etc. coming off the foundation.

We have raised the foundation just shy of 2' above its old level. The pictures really don't show it yet, but I'm going to have a real slope or I'm going to have to raise the rest of the property accordingly. :eek: Well, at least I have some time to think about it and maybe consult with a landscaper or two.

Tomorrow is delivery day for the lumber to frame the house. By this time next week there should be some dramatic differences in my pictures.

Stay tuned. As always thanks for looking.:)

Karl

tod evans
01-26-2006, 5:38 PM
man karl folks would kill for some of that black dirt here! we`re pearched on limestone and clay. looking good.....02 tod

Jim O'Dell
01-26-2006, 5:43 PM
Karl, you could always make a terraced area by the house that has a gentle slope for runoff, then drop down to the yard level. Use the concrete retaining wall blocks, or local stone to build the retaining wall. It would be decorative, and highlight the house at the same time. Maybe like a raised flower bed around the house if you like that sort of thing. Looks good so far. Keep the updates coming! Jim.

Roy Wall
01-26-2006, 5:46 PM
Lookin good Karl.......

I guess a possible combo purchase is still on hold..........????:eek: :confused:

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 6:29 PM
Karl, that looks like they are grading it just right...water is going to "go away" from your foundation very nicely and that is exactly what you want.

Frank Pellow
01-26-2006, 6:33 PM
Karl, I am constantly impressed by just how quickly this project is moving along. I wish you continued good luck!

John Miliunas
01-26-2006, 8:18 PM
Awright...More shop time!!!! :D Hey, you won't be cutting too much grass for quite a while, me thinks! :rolleyes: Seriously, those guys are kickin' some serious butt over there! Lookin' good, Karl! :) :cool:

Frank Chaffee
01-26-2006, 8:21 PM
Karl,
You done good when you invested in January Wisconsin Black Dirt Futures!
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
01-27-2006, 4:58 AM
You're making good progress Karl. From the looks of the pics, it appears they pushed the soil in the excavation with the Cat without much compaction effort. Over the course of the winter (assuming you guys actually get one) and/or a few rainy seasons, the soil will probably settle some...nothing terrible, but it'll likely go down a bit in places. I'd suggest keeping an eye on it over time to be sure you don't get any low spots in the grading right at the edge of the foundation. If they show up, just toss a bit more dirt in them. :)

- Vaughn

Eddie Watkins
01-27-2006, 10:53 AM
It seems to be going together really fast. I am just amazed at the progress you are making. Looking good!!

Bryan Somers
01-27-2006, 1:04 PM
Looking good Karl. Really enjoying these updates, and still suprised all those winter photos with no snow up there.

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2006, 1:48 PM
Karl, as Jim said, your dirt is set up well for drainage. In a few homes, I've lived in, I corrected basement drainage problems by simply bringing in more dirt and grading it down away from the foundation. Making sure no dirt is near wood structure. This also gives you options on adding later a deck , porch or terrace. Looking good..

Tyler Howell
01-27-2006, 1:54 PM
When I moved in my 104 yr old urban farm house everything drained toward the house. 14 tons of sand and rock later ( all hand work:( ) I have a dry basement.
Looking good Karl.
Pix Police Seal of Approval

Karl Laustrup
01-27-2006, 1:58 PM
Looking good Karl. Really enjoying these updates, and still suprised all those winter photos with no snow up there.

Thanks Bryan, and everyone else.

We're keeping our fingers [and a lot of other stuff] crossed as far as the snow, for a couple more weeks. :cool: :D

Karl