PDA

View Full Version : BLO and Titebond glue

William Lessenberry
12-17-2022, 6:15 PM
I got a little ahead of myself and covered a board with BLO that's going to have another board glued to it with Titebond. Do I need to sand the board to raw wood again or will the Titebond stick? The two pieces are made from zebrawood. Thanks for the help!
BillL

Jim Becker
12-17-2022, 7:10 PM
PVA glue likes to get into the wood and the drying oil will likely make for a joint that's not as strong as you may intend it to be. So yea, I'd abrade the area where the glue needs to go for sure.

Lee Schierer
12-17-2022, 7:37 PM
I would clean the joint area with lacquer thinner and then sand to expose fresh surface and rough it up a bit.

William Lessenberry
12-18-2022, 12:19 AM
Scrubbed it with thinner, sanded the edge to be glued with 80 grit, glued and clamped. I'll pull the clamps off tomorrow and see what happens.
Thanks again,
BillL

Mel Fulks
12-18-2022, 12:38 AM
Lee, I guy I worked for was kind of a geek on glue and solvents. He said that : “lacquer thinner ,believe it or not ….has oil in it”, I have not
researched that , but he was pretty sharp on spray work in large commercial buildings.

roger wiegand
12-18-2022, 8:18 AM
Lacquer thinner may contain "light aliphatic solvent", which could be considered an oil; it is a mix of 5 to 10 carbon compounds, kerosene, another light oil, averages around C12, so 20-50% bigger molecules and correspondingly less volatile. While you can call it an oil, it is sufficiently volatile that it won't hang around very long and probably won't interfere with anything in a wood finishing process.