PDA

View Full Version : FS - LN Bronze No. 4

John Keeton
12-16-2022, 10:57 AM
I have mixed feelings about selling this plane. Even my wife has encouraged me to keep it. But....I have accumulated three of them, and, yes, my wife knows I have three but still thinks I will regret selling it!!

LN ran a batch of these this last spring and they sold out quickly. About 2-3 months ago I inquired of LN about a possible date for the production of the LN bronze 3 and was told they had some issues with the last batch of bronze castings for the No. 4 and she felt it would be well into 2023. I suspect that is why on the No. 4 bronze LN states this -"Please Note: We are experiencing an extended delay on the No. 4 Bronze Smoothing Plane. Please to sign up to be notified when they become available. Thank you for your patience."

In any event, this plane has a July 2021 mfr date and is in excellent condition. It will come with the box, paperwork and an LN sock. The price is $440 shipped, which would still be cheaper than a new one with shipping and sales tax - assuming LN doesn't take another price increase next year. The price is firm and if you have serious interest send me an email via SMC and I will provide pics. Otherwise, I will take my wife's advice and keep it.;) Thanks!

Patrick Baney
12-16-2022, 8:28 PM
Just out of curiosity, John. How does one accumulate three bronze no. 4s? A couple fall off a truck? That’s what I tell my wife.

Andrew Hughes
12-16-2022, 9:49 PM
I thought I remember reading something in the Bible or constitution about owning more then one #4.
My #4 is going in the hole with me someday. Just in case I need to pay the ferry man.
Good Luck with you sale

John Keeton
12-17-2022, 5:18 AM
Guys, I promise it was unintentional!! A totally innocent result of making three “buys” of several planes each - thus the multiple sales I have listed on SMC. The motivation was to add to and refine the planes I use in my shop. I love the bronze planes and particularly the No. 4. I already owned one and as it happens, there were a couple more in the lots that were purchased. I have great difficulty turning loose of them. I believe this is the last plane I will be selling unless some other situation beyond my control tempts me into buying more!

roger wiegand
12-17-2022, 8:01 AM
A few days in of using the one I bought last week, and I can say this is a wonderful plane to use. The added heft of the bronze gives it nice momentum, and it sure is pretty sitting on the bench! Just finished a small project without resorting to sandpaper using this plane. That makes me happy!

John Keeton
12-17-2022, 11:57 AM
With significant mixed feelings, this plane is sold!

Jim Koepke
12-17-2022, 12:36 PM
I have great difficulty turning loose of them. I believe this is the last plane I will be selling unless some other situation beyond my control tempts me into buying more!

A common feeling for sure. There are four Stanley/Bailey #4s in my shop right now, and I may give one of them to my grandson when he is here next month.

jtk

Rob Luter
12-17-2022, 2:00 PM
I love my Bronze #4. When my daughter got married I bought one for her new Father in Law (a fellow woodworker) as a gift. I got myself an iron 4 1/2 at the same time. After inspecting the gifted plane It wasn’t long before I ordered one for myself.

Brian Gouldman
12-17-2022, 3:46 PM
Fellow owner of 3 bronze 4’s. When my wife saw them I just looked her in the eye and said, “I need them”. After an awkward pause the conversation moved on. Luckily the box my iron 4 is in says No. 41 on it… so she doesn’t know I actually have 4 :)

Lee Schierer
12-17-2022, 7:56 PM
Fellow owner of 3 bronze 4’s. When my wife saw them I just looked her in the eye and said, “I need them”. After an awkward pause the conversation moved on. Luckily the box my iron 4 is in says No. 41 on it… so she doesn’t know I actually have 4 :)

She knows now! :D

Rob Luter
12-17-2022, 10:04 PM

She knows now! :D

Rooting for you.