PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my chainsaw when it's raining?

Hipa Store
12-15-2022, 10:08 PM
Guys, can I use my chainsaw to wet wood or when it's raining?

If YES, then what are the things that I should keep in mind. Hit me with your tips.

Zachary Hoyt
12-15-2022, 10:20 PM
No. If you use your chainsaw in the rain you will immediately be turned to stone.

Wes Grass
12-15-2022, 10:22 PM
If it isn't my grandfathers McCullough with no insulated cap.on the spark plug you might accidently touch...

Sure,, why not ...

Richard Coers
12-16-2022, 12:41 AM
Trick question from a sponsor? I used an umbrella walking in to my drafting job when I was young. The draftsman next to me asked if my Dad ever used an umbrella. Made me laugh, I've never seen any farmer carry an umbrella!

Wes Grass
12-16-2022, 2:07 AM
As Einstein said: 'It's all relative'.

Living in the Santa Cruz mountains, Big Basin, some years up around 100 inches , going in to work on the Peninsula ... co-workers ... 'i got soaked getting to my car this morning' ...

Friend from mid state Michigan... yeah, umm, you don't have a clue ...

I've been to Atlanta, now more or less living in Austin ... turn the AC to 76 and all the windows fog up ...

Rich Engelhardt
12-16-2022, 6:04 AM
Gas or electric chainsaw?

Not that it really matters. I can't think of anything I'd want to cut bad enough that I'd try cutting with a chainsaw in the rain.
Unless it's a real emergency, I'd wait until I had better footing. Working in the wet makes for nasty footing.

Curt Harms
12-16-2022, 6:57 AM
Gas or electric chainsaw?

Not that it really matters. I can't think of anything I'd want to cut bad enough that I'd try cutting with a chainsaw in the rain.
Unless it's a real emergency, I'd wait until I had better footing. Working in the wet makes for nasty footing.

That would be my concern. Wet things tend to be slippery. Slippery and chain saws don't go together in my mind.

Justin Rapp
12-16-2022, 7:02 AM
I agree with the footing comments. If there is no emergency, why? However loggers don't stop when it's wet out, do they?

Phillip Mitchell
12-16-2022, 8:17 AM
I agree with the footing comments. If there is no emergency, why? However loggers don't stop when it's wet out, do they?

I think the mud level, in regards to traction and excess erosion, is much more of a factor with inclement weather in logging than worrying about the saws getting wet.

Edward Weber
12-16-2022, 11:40 AM
Gas powered chainsaws work just fine in the rain, it's the operator that has the problems.
Extra bar oil would be a good idea

Bill Dufour
12-16-2022, 12:01 PM
Those diamond tipped saw chains need water flood cooling or the teeth burn up cutting rocks. So rain is good for them.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
12-16-2022, 12:30 PM
When I lived in California, the advice was to wait for your field (or lawn) to be dry before you mowed.

After moving up to Southwestern Washington I mentioned this and asked about people here mowing wet here, either in a light rain or after it rained. One lady piped up, "if you aren't going to mow when it's wet, you aren't going to mow at all."

The Pacific Northwest is known for being a temperate rain forest extending from Northern California to British Columbia. The Olympic Peninsula, just north of me, receives over 100 inches of rain annually.

Here's a picture of Candy in the Olympic Rainforest:

So around here as long as it can be done safely trees and firewood are cut with a chainsaw when it is raining.

You may need to remove the chain and bar afterwards to wipe down all the main parts, that's just common sense.

jtk

Dan Friedrichs
12-16-2022, 1:01 PM
Why does this bot keep posting these weird questions, and why do you all keep replying to it?

Frederick Skelly
12-16-2022, 1:11 PM
Why does this bot keep posting these weird questions, and why do you all keep replying to it?

+1. From what I can tell, Hipa Store sells small engine parts for things like chainsaws. LINK (https://www.hipastore.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1dDA_dv--wIVahZMCh1_uQdnEAAYASAAEgJkePD_BwE) Maybe they programmed the bot to get their name in front of us every day?

Suggest anyone who's tiring of this to drop Keith Outten a note.

Fred

Bill Dufour
12-16-2022, 1:16 PM
They make air powered chainsaws for use underwater working on piers and such. Seems more likely to work then underwater arc welding which I have seen done.
bill D.
https://www.csunitec.com/saws/chain-saws/pneumatic-chain-saws/4-hp-underwater-pneumatic-chain-saws

Edward Weber
12-16-2022, 1:48 PM
When I lived in California, the advice was to wait for your field (or lawn) to be dry before you mowed.

Try that now and someone will complain.

These days (with the drought) you ONLY cut your lawn in the morning when the humidity is at its highest. You're not supposed to cut things when it's too dry.
I can't tell you how many grass fires have been started by some idiot mowing bone dry grass.

George Yetka
12-16-2022, 2:28 PM
The chips will clump, is all I can think, and chips will stick to you

Bill Dufour
12-16-2022, 3:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWP9thPs_mM

https://www.echopkins.com/shop/underwater-tools/underwater-chainsaws-diamond-chainsaws/890-underwater-diamond-chainsaw/

https://www.google.com/search?q=underwater+chainsaw&sxsrf=ALiCzsaOEA6PFEtxcr5emrhWTFN47R8M9g:167122289 3888&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjFxri3_v77AhX8LkQIHbEvCl4Q_AUoA3oECAEQB Q&biw=1366&bih=600&dpr=1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f62cb563,vid:OnuaqqIqirs

John Goodin
12-17-2022, 12:53 AM
As Einstein said: 'It's all relative'.

Living in the Santa Cruz mountains, Big Basin, some years up around 100 inches , going in to work on the Peninsula ... co-workers ... 'i got soaked getting to my car this morning' ...

Friend from mid state Michigan... yeah, umm, you don't have a clue ...

I've been to Atlanta, now more or less living in Austin ... turn the AC to 76 and all the windows fog up ...

I see you are from Cedar Park. I lived by CPHS on Anderson Mill Road.

Bill Dufour
12-17-2022, 6:35 PM
The chips will clump, is all I can think, and chips will stick to you
The video explains that underwater chainsaws run in reverse compared to dry ones. They throw the chips forward away from the operaters vision. They do swirl around and float much longer though.
BilL D

Jim Koepke
12-17-2022, 7:32 PM
Try that now and someone will complain.

These days (with the drought) you ONLY cut your lawn in the morning when the humidity is at its highest. You're not supposed to cut things when it's too dry.
I can't tell you how many grass fires have been started by some idiot mowing bone dry grass.

Unfortunately any fool can buy a mower and use it. An intelligent person knows to not cut tall grass with a mower when it is so dry a spark from hitting a rock can cause a conflagration.

Anyone who has cut or grown alfalfa has probably heard the tale of the newbie grower complaining about how he cut it green, bailed it green, stacked it green and it still burns.

jtk

roger wiegand
12-18-2022, 8:22 AM
On a related note, I'm really wondering now about using my chainsaw in the shower....

Tom M King
12-18-2022, 8:41 AM
On a related note, I'm really wondering now about using my chainsaw in the shower....

Coated well with the spray Dawn dishwashing detergent, it cleans them up pretty good.

Edward Weber
12-18-2022, 5:58 PM
Unfortunately any fool can buy a mower and use it. An intelligent person knows to not cut tall grass with a mower when it is so dry a spark from hitting a rock can cause a conflagration.

Anyone who has cut or grown alfalfa has probably heard the tale of the newbie grower complaining about how he cut it green, bailed it green, stacked it green and it still burns.

jtk
Who are these "intelligent people" you speak of?
I sometimes fear there is a lack of them near where I live.
I understand that not everyone can cut the grass when it's optimal, but if not, just let it alone until you can.
Personally, I would rather see some slightly taller, unkept grass than a wildfire.