PDA

View Full Version : Jet Deluxe or Powermatic Bandsaw?

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 2:56 PM
Okay, I will be kicking the tires this weekend and probably pulling the trigger on a 14" bandsaw. I ruled out the Delta last weekend, as I just wasn't very impressed (makes me sad . . . I love my Delta TS!).

So, I've done the anal figuring with all the deals that are going on now, and am vascillating between the Jet and the Powermatic. It looks like there will end up being about $200 difference between the two.

For that, the Powermatic has a nice resaw fence, bearing guides, bigger CI table, CI wheels, more HP, and a blower and MH light (the light I'm not really all that cranked on). Either way, I will still be getting a mobile base, riser blocks, and some decent blades. While I will mostly be using it for heavy scrolling, I will also be resawing some veneers, so it should see a lot of use.

Does anyone want to lend some advice here? It just pains me to pull the trigger on a BS (either $700 or $900, with all the bells and whistles, etc.) when I spent $300 on a nice, new TS. The problem is, I haven't seen any good used band saws for sale around this area, and I've been looking for a while. What would you do?

Mike Leone
01-26-2006, 3:00 PM
before you pull the trigger have you looked at all the rebates and deals on amazon.

Cecil Arnold
01-26-2006, 3:05 PM
Homer, welcome to SMC. The TOS requires a full name, so if you will e-mail Jackie Outten with the information she will see it gets posted. I've had the Jet with riser and while it is a good saw, were I going to look in the high end of your range I would also look at the Rikon, the low end Mini-Max, the Jet 16, and the Laguna. Depending on the resaw height you are looking for they might be a better investment.

Silas Smith
01-26-2006, 3:22 PM
I have seen the two and I would tell you to get the powermatic. In terms of quality, I don't think the jet is in the same class. I know you would end up putting at least $200 into the jet and still wish you had the powermatic.

David Abel
01-26-2006, 3:32 PM
Okay, I will be kicking the tires this weekend and probably pulling the trigger on a 14" bandsaw. I ruled out the Delta last weekend, as I just wasn't very impressed (makes me sad . . . I love my Delta TS!).

So, I've done the anal figuring with all the deals that are going on now, and am vascillating between the Jet and the Powermatic. It looks like there will end up being about $200 difference between the two.

For that, the Powermatic has a nice resaw fence, bearing guides, bigger CI table, CI wheels, more HP, and a blower and MH light (the light I'm not really all that cranked on). Either way, I will still be getting a mobile base, riser blocks, and some decent blades. While I will mostly be using it for heavy scrolling, I will also be resawing some veneers, so it should see a lot of use.

Does anyone want to lend some advice here? It just pains me to pull the trigger on a BS (either $700 or $900, with all the bells and whistles, etc.) when I spent $300 on a nice, new TS. The problem is, I haven't seen any good used band saws for sale around this area, and I've been looking for a while. What would you do?

I've got the Powermatic. It's quiet, well equipped with extras, fit/finish are great, cuts flawlessly (no drift), no vibration. I stepped up from a vibrating, featureless Delta. I'm so lucky the dealer allowed a full refund on the Delta. I hate to think how I'd feel if I was stuck with that beast.

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 4:00 PM
I have seen the two and I would tell you to get the powermatic. In terms of quality, I don't think the jet is in the same class.

Umm...the 14" saws are from essentially the same company (Jet and PM both are WMH Tool Group Companies (http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/)) and outside of the paint and included upgrades on the PM...well... ;) ...they are pretty close to the same saw. Prior to buying my MM16, I owned the Jet 14" CS and was quite pleased with it.

Andy Hoyt
01-26-2006, 4:45 PM
My understanding is that Jet's 14" BS is 1.25 HP, while the PM 14" is 2 HP.

That difference alone would (and did) steer me towards the PM

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 4:52 PM
That's my point, Andy...the PM is pretty much an upgraded version of the same machine in the Jet line. In fact, the 14" PM came into being after the 14" Jet, if my memory serves me correctly. And if those features are of value to you, it's the better buy considering what they would cost individually.

Michael Ballent
01-26-2006, 5:11 PM
I wonder if the Powermatic motor would fit the 14" Jet??? I like my Jet, but just wish that it had a little more omph (BTW mine is the 1hp flavor)

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 5:37 PM
Michael, as long as it is the same frame type and physically not to large to mount in the cabinet, you shouldn't have any problem with such a motor upgrade. And you have a lot of choices outside of the PM motor given what I wrote in the previous sentence. (Oh...be sure the rotation speed and direction is the same and if the shaft is a different size, be prepared to do the pulley thing, too) I had thought about upgrading my Jet motor, but ended up with the larger saw...

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 5:40 PM
Homer, welcome to SMC. The TOS requires a full name, so if you will e-mail Jackie Outten with the information she will see it gets posted. I've had the Jet with riser and while it is a good saw, were I going to look in the high end of your range I would also look at the Rikon, the low end Mini-Max, the Jet 16, and the Laguna. Depending on the resaw height you are looking for they might be a better investment.

Thanks, Cecil. I didn't realize the last name was a requirement. Is there a privacy policy with regard to SMC's use of our private info? Does SMC resell our information at all? How do you e-mail Jackie Outten?

Thanks for recommending the Jet 16". That was actually my first choice, but the 123" blade requirement and complaints about difficulties adjusting the lower guides made me think the PM would be better for me at the same price point, especially since the PM has the larger table, resaw fence, and bearing guides. That was just my reasoning.

My explanation of the price points on the PM was a little rough. Broken down, my reasoning is this:

$850 PM price at Rockler/Woodcraft
($ 85) 10% off at Rockler/Woodcraft
($100) rebate from PM
$ 50 A couple of good blades

The Jet is almost $200 less with a fence included.

I hadn't looked at the Minimax, as the S45 is out of my price range. Is there a less expensive model?

The Laguna would be $895 plus S&H plus blades and mobile base, and that makes it less attractive to me, pricewise, as I refuse to break $1000. Plus, the reps at the woodworking show were too busy talking to themselves to talk to me, so that sours me a little (maybe silly, but I've heard some CS complaints, and if salesmen aren't motivated to make a sale, service after the sale is usually even worse).

I haven't seen the Rikon, but will consider it if I can see it locally. I won't consider the Grizz, because I can't see it locally, and I want to put my hands on it before I lay cash on the barrelhead. But that's just me.

Thanks for letting me talk through my reasoning, and thanks for the suggestions. Let me know if I'm off on any of these.

Homer

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 5:42 PM
My understanding is that Jet's 14" BS is 1.25 HP, while the PM 14" is 2 HP.

That difference alone would (and did) steer me towards the PM

I wish that was true, but everything I've read says it's just a 1.5 HP on the PM. 2HP would make my decision pretty easy.

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 5:48 PM
before you pull the trigger have you looked at all the rebates and deals on amazon.

Absolutely. However, if you can't combine deals (as indicated by another post going around here), then it doesn't matter. Rockler and Woodcraft both have the PM and Jet at lower prices than Amazon, and they're running a 10% off special this weekend. In fact, the PM is $150 less than the Amazon price, so the new promotion doesn't affect anything, and I don't have/can't find the $100 off/free shipping coupons even if they were to allow combining deals.

Plus, I don't want to have to worry about shipping, and I like supporting local business. Tax really doesn't come into play for me, as you're supposed to remit tax to the state if you buy by mail.

Andy Hoyt
01-26-2006, 5:48 PM
I wish that was true, but everything I've read says it's just a 1.5 HP on the PM. 2HP would make my decision pretty easy.

Oops! You're right. Should have looked under the hood first.

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 5:50 PM
I wonder if the Powermatic motor would fit the 14" Jet??? I like my Jet, but just wish that it had a little more omph (BTW mine is the 1hp flavor)

It will fit. I talked to the local repair facilities, and they indicated you could probably buy a 2hp motor for less money from Grainger as long as you had the necessary specs.

Cecil Arnold
01-26-2006, 6:05 PM
Homer, under members list you will find Jackie Outten (under the "J") click on her name and then at the pull down you can send a private message to her. SMC does not sell, give away or anything else with member information. I was not talking about the MM S45. They have another 14-16" saw that is similar to the Laguna and priced at about the same price. As I said, I've had the Jet and for me it was lacking for resaw. I currently have a mm16 and think everyone should, but then that's just me. However, after looking at your post, if you are going to be heavy into scrolling, I don't think any of the steel frame saws (Jet 16, Laguna, or MM) are what you are looking for, since I don't think the smaller bands on level tires will do anything for tire life and will not be as bad on the crowned tires. I'm sure there will be a difference of opinion on that.

Michael Ballent
01-26-2006, 6:19 PM
It will fit. I talked to the local repair facilities, and they indicated you could probably buy a 2hp motor for less money from Grainger as long as you had the necessary specs.

Good to know :D I think that the mount should be listed on the current motor. NEMA something or other. Hopefully the motor will fit inside of the cabinet ;)

john mclane
01-26-2006, 8:59 PM
I have been going through the same angst about band saws. I like touching and feeling and being able to go back to a real person if I have a problem, especially when I'm spending a lot of money.

The local Woodcraft had the delta, jet and PM. the side by side comparsion was interesting to see the quality differences. I had bought The Band Saw book that had a section on what to look at in the saws. The local store had a PM set up in their class and let me cut some wood. It was quiet and seemed strong on a 4X4.
I was able to find a local distributer that had both the 14 and 16?" rikon. I have not seen the Grizzly. the others are out of my cost range although I wish I could. I also did not want to go high on cost. I'm just starting to build my shop and need to stay with some kinda of budget. I don't anticipate to be a heavy duty user for awhile so a 14" with riser should meet my needs for awhile.

I think I'm going to do pull the trigger on a PM this weekend for pretty much the same reason given above.

larry fredric
01-26-2006, 10:15 PM
homer:
The Delta you looked at was this the newer 28-475X model?? What turned you off?

Homer Faucett
01-26-2006, 10:49 PM
homer:
The Delta you looked at was this the newer 28-475X model?? What turned you off?

No, it was the 28-206. The sales rep obviously did not want to help, didn't know the prices or features, and I was just starting to think about band saws at that point. The detension lever felt cheap, the metal cover felt flimsy, and it simply did not seem like a stout piece of equipment for which I would pay the $565 "show special price" that he quoted.

I talked to several exhibitors displaying bandsaw blades or other accessories for bandsaws, and, to a man, each one recommended the Jet or the PM depending on what you wanted to pay. While there were no displays for Jet or PM specifically, I got a good, close look at those, and was much more impressed with the overall quality and weight of the pieces. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get to see the X-5, and after being quoted $565 for the 28-206 by a guy who didn't know features and really didn't want to talk to any customers, I couldn't run away from the Delta display fast enough.

I guess what I am saying is that I might not be looking at this in an absolutely objective manner. I will look at the X-5 this weekend, but I'm already biased toward the Jet or PM . . . and I'd really like to have cast iron wheels.

Ryan Ricks
01-27-2006, 8:52 AM
Homer -

I have the Jet Deluxe. I wanted the PM, but I do not regret getting the Jet. The differences (that I can see) are the PM has a 1.5HP vs the Jet 1.25HP, the PM includes the fence, light, and blower, and the PM has an "Auxilliary" table that fits between the main table and the frame. Other than that, they are pretty much the same machine. I do like the quick tension release lever (I believe the PM is a Carter style, the Jet is their own design). I did put the riser in mine, and bought some Timberwolf blades.

-Ryan

Jake Helmboldt
01-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I think saying that the PM and Jet are basically the same is somewhat flawed. The difference in price is more than offset by the upgrades to the PM in my opinion. Bigger table, more power, Carter tension release, light, blower, nicer (IMHO) guides/adjustments, fence, mitre gauge. It is a slightly more refined machine w/ a number of nice features.

The downside is that it is in the price range of the 18" saws that don't need a riser to resaw 12" and which have more power.