PDA

View Full Version : Looking for better quality light socket

Brian Tymchak
12-14-2022, 2:13 PM
I had to replace the light socket on my floor lamp about 9 months ago. Just stopped switching on. Apparently something wore out inside the molded case. Put in a replacement from the borg and it has now worn out in the same manner, I assume since I have not opened the case up to inspect.

I want to avoid making this a yearly-ish task. Can someone recommend a good quality brand replacement socket with manual switch?

Thanks!

Paul F Franklin
12-14-2022, 2:30 PM
First, unplug the lamp and make sure the center contact in the socket is not pressed too far down. Take a little hook and pull up on the contact to bend it up a little to ensure it is making good contact.

If it really is the switch itself that has failed, you could try replacing it with a porcelain socket; they tend to hold up better. Here's one: https://antiquelampsupply.com/collections/porcelain-lamp-sockets/products/standard-size-porcelain-turn-knob-sockets

Bruce Wrenn
12-14-2022, 2:48 PM
If your lamp ISN'T a three way, replace the socket with a slide switch, rather than a rotary. We have a lamp that looks like yours that I did years ago. No prolems since.

Tom M King
12-14-2022, 3:17 PM
I've replaced several lately, and the replacements look sorrier than the ones they replaced. If anyone knows of a good quality one, please post a link.

John K Jordan
12-14-2022, 3:58 PM
What is it, the socket or the switch? Testing with an ohm meter/continuity tester is quick.

But face it, light hardware is usually cheap junk - I haven’t been able to find better quality. If the switch, I’ve been using these, I put two on an end table to switch on lights on either side of the couch. Easier than using the lamp switch and keeps it from wearing out. I also use them at the computer to turn on monitors and elsewhere.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZWQP7N

If it’s the socket, test as mentioned and check the contacts. I usually don’t have trouble with floor and table lamp sockets but occasionally in enclosed fixtures they can get hot - sometimes the contacts can corrode a little, especially in areas with high humidity. I smear a bit of dielectric grease on both the center contact and the threaded part - inhibits corrosion and as a bonus can prevent the bulb from sticking.

JKJ

I had to replace the light socket on my floor lamp about 9 months ago. Just stopped switching on. Apparently something wore out inside the molded case. Put in a replacement from the borg and it has now worn out in the same manner, I assume since I have not opened the case up to inspect.

I want to avoid making this a yearly-ish task. Can someone recommend a good quality brand replacement socket with manual switch?

Thanks!

Mark Beiting
12-14-2022, 6:16 PM
I was replacing 3-way lamp sockets (and bulbs) on an almost annual frequency until switching to LED bulbs 5 years ago, haven't touched one since. I think the lower current is easier on the contacts. Also the dielectric grease John mentioned is good practice.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-14-2022, 6:44 PM
There are several interesting choices on eBay. I see N.O.S., made in the USA. And some solid brass, better quality, imports.

Dave Fritz
12-15-2022, 8:16 AM
Thank you John for the remote switch tip. My shoulder is shot and I have a terrible time turning off the light on the bed stand. This will help immensely.

roger wiegand
12-15-2022, 8:19 AM
I think your best shot is to find junk lamps from before ~1960 and steal the hardware from them. Even very expensive, high end, fixtures these days come with complete junk for sockets. Or look for a really old hardware store and see what they have squirreled away in the basement.

Brian Tymchak
12-15-2022, 11:55 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I decided this morning to try the easiest next step which is Paul's suggestion about pulling the center contact up a bit and, wouldn't you know, the socket is working. So big thanks to Paul for getting me back to a working lamp. I will still try to find better quality sockets so I appreciate those suggestions for alternatives. Will definitely pick up one of touch on cords that John suggested, actually probably several for other lamps in the house.

Thanks again everyone!

Curt Harms
12-16-2022, 8:01 AM
I was replacing 3-way lamp sockets (and bulbs) on an almost annual frequency until switching to LED bulbs 5 years ago, haven't touched one since. I think the lower current is easier on the contacts. Also the dielectric grease John mentioned is good practice.

I find 3 way sockets a pain, there are 3 contact points that must all contact the bulb at the same time. I've replaced 3 way sockets with dimmers and dimmable 'single speed' LED lamps. No problems since.

Myk Rian
12-16-2022, 8:13 AM
When I restored my WW machines, I went to grandbrass.com. High quality lamp fixtures.

Brian Tymchak
12-16-2022, 11:12 AM
When I restored my WW machines, I went to grandbrass.com. High quality lamp fixtures.

Thanks for that link and recommendation Myk. Did a quick look-around there and it looks promising.

Myk Rian
12-16-2022, 11:22 AM
I was looking for replacement sockets for my delta retirement lamps. I'm very satisfied with the quality.

Tom M King
12-16-2022, 11:30 AM
My thanks for that too, Myk!