PDA

View Full Version : Which type of bandsaw blade

Randy Scalf
01-26-2006, 2:52 PM
I'm wanting to get another blade for my Craftsman 12" bandsaw. The one that came with it is 1/2". I would like to be able to cut tighter curves and will only be cutting wood, usually no thicker than 1". Would a 1/4" blade be good? What is meant by "hook" and "skip" in tooth design. Also how many TPI would be good? Thanks.

Mark Rios
01-26-2006, 2:56 PM
Go here:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Bookmark their website url.

Get their number and give them a call.

Answer all the questions they ask you and ask any that you wish.

Order what they tell you that you need.

While waiting for your blades, read all the great info on their website.

For a long while, thats all you need to know about bandsaw blades.:D

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 3:37 PM
Randy,

Mark has given you good advice. That is exactly what I did many months ago and have not been sorry.

lou sansone
01-26-2006, 7:49 PM
I also like them and have been pretty happy with their products
lou

Hunter Wallace
01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi Randy,

I was at a Woodworking show a few weekends ago & picked up
a few BS blades under the "Timber Wolf" name. I'll tell you, for
a non-carbide tipped blade I was cutting 1/32" "veneer" with the
1/2" with no binding, burning or complaining.
The 1/8" blade can turn on...well, MUCH less than a dime. I had
always used Olson or Delta blades cuz they're readily available
right here in my town, but after a half hour fooling around with
those Timber Wolf blades I think I'll be using them exclusively
for the forseeable future!

Charlie Plesums
01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree that Timberwolf are great blades, a little more expensive than some, but far longer lasting and better cuts.

Although I have never seen Suffolk Machinery at the woodworking shows, they are the primary vendor of Timberwolf blades, typically at a much lower cost than at the shows.

A 1/4 inch blade is a great general purpose blade for cutting curves on a small bandsaw. Smaller blades get a little touchy and fragile. Larger blades don't like taking corners as well.

Mark Rios
01-26-2006, 11:34 PM
IAlthough I have never seen Suffolk Machinery at the woodworking shows, they are the primary vendor of Timberwolf blades, typically at a much lower cost than at the shows.

Actually, they are the manufacturers of those great blades. And they have a new carbide tipped blade.

They also are having a "Get one blade free" sale right now.

John Makar
07-31-2008, 2:23 PM
I also took that advice - it is excellent. The blades are great, the service is great, and with these guys using the phone actually beats using the web. An educational experience on how to do quality business. They are now my blade provider.

Brian W Evans
07-31-2008, 3:14 PM
I second what everyone else has said about Suffolk Machinery. I just got my first band saw and ordered blades from these guys. I can't imagine what you'd need to know about blades that isn't on their site or in their catalog. Wonderful customer service and quick shipping as well.

Curt Harms
07-31-2008, 3:20 PM
Hi Randy

I don't know what type of blade guides your saw has but bearing-type blade guides don't really work well with blades narrower than 1/4" in my experience. If you can use homemade wooden or coolblock type guides, you're fine. If you have roller type blade guides, you might be able to get the Carter guide but that little sucker (http://www.carterproducts.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=14) ain't cheap. I don't have one but they get good reviews.

HTH

Curt

Peter Quadarella
07-31-2008, 3:37 PM
Agreed, I did the same when I got my bandsaw and did not regret it.

However, I use my bandsaw so much I was willing to splurge a bit and bit the bullet on a carbide Lennox blade, and picked up a 3/8" bimetal while I was at it. I haven't received them yet, but Lennox gets good reviews as well.

Kevin Lucas
07-31-2008, 6:51 PM
I got the 10 inch version of the craftsman band saw and was also wondering about blades. Glad to see this post ) One thing it missed was blade thickness. No idea what thickness it came with but seems awfully thin to me... whats better .025 or .032?

Charlie Plesums
08-01-2008, 11:50 AM
I got the 10 inch version of the craftsman band saw and was also wondering about blades. Glad to see this post ) One thing it missed was blade thickness. No idea what thickness it came with but seems awfully thin to me... whats better .025 or .032?
Thin is good, especially with dry hardwood, since you are removing less wood, reducing power requirements, and lower blade tension required. However, the thinner blades tend to not last as long.

Most folks start at about 14 inches on the bandsaw (I have 14 and 24, for example) so you may need to find a real expert who can advise you if a thinner blade is required for the smaller 10 inch wheels. I would call the folks at Suffolk.