PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 20mm hole workbench clamps

Phillip Mitchell
12-13-2022, 10:47 AM
I have a shop made MFT style top on my main assembly table and drilled some 20mm holes a while back with a borrowed Parf guide. I’m looking for some bench clamps to fit in the holes to clamp down work, be able to relatively quickly move them to different holes, etc.

A cam style, “clicking” clamp action with auto height adjustment like the Kreg Automaxx clamps I have on my sliding table saw would be nice and convenient as opposed to having to twist a handle to tighten. Looking at the “bases” supplied with the Kreg clamps, I’m not sure if they would be easily moveable from hole to hole, but maybe I’m missing something?

Any recommendations?

A few photos below of my assembly table and current slider clamp set up.

Jim Becker
12-13-2022, 10:50 AM
I haven't looked into this directly, but I believe Festool recently released a quick action clamp for use on a table with 20mm grids. Many existing clamps, such as the Kreg, can also be adapted to certain types of dogs. TSO has a bunch of good options there I think. I'll be interested to see the responses as I get moved into the new shop and start to actually use multiple work surfaces that have the 96mm grid of 20mm holes.

Randy Heinemann
12-13-2022, 11:39 AM
I haven't looked into this directly, but I believe Festool recently released a quick action clamp for use on a table with 20mm grids. Many existing clamps, such as the Kreg, can also be adapted to certain types of dogs. TSO has a bunch of good options there I think. I'll be interested to see the responses as I get moved into the new shop and start to actually use multiple work surfaces that have the 96mm grid of 20mm holes.

I have these Festool clamps. They are essentially quick release hold down clamps. They get inserted in the hole until the top touches the wood you are trying to clamp to the bench, then are secured via a lever on the top. They hold extremely well, are easy to use, and release when done. The only question I have is whether there will be some long-term wear on the holes in the workbench top due to multiple insertions and removals and the stress on the hole edges. They are very tight to begin with. For me, wear and tear isn't probably much of an issue since I don't use them everyday. So far, they have come in handy twice and they worked extremely well.

Phillip Mitchell
12-13-2022, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, gentlemen. I watched a few different videos and looked at TSO website. I actually really like the Kreg Automaxx clamps...the only thing that seems like an annoyance is having to reach under the top (mine is a torsion box with relatively open cubbies on all 4 sides) and unscrew the knob from the stud and then again to fasten in place every time I want to move it.

I looked at the Festool post style (MFT HZ 80) and I think I may have a spatial problem with the post interfering with all the tools and stuff I keep in my cubbies directly underneath the top. Not sure exactly how long that post is, but now that I assess reality, I don’t think a post style that sticks down more than an inch or two below the bottom of the top will work in my current setup.

The Festool quick clamps also looked a bit stiff in how the slid down. The Kreg Automaxx are very intuitive, quick and easy to engage and disengage. Maybe it’s worth the slight inconvenience of unscrewing the knobs from underneath for how smooth and easy they are on the top side.

Looking forward to hearing more responses.

Patrick Varley
12-13-2022, 5:56 PM
I use a knockoff of the Festool ratcheting quick clamp (https://www.rockler.com/6-5-8-quick-clamp-for-festool-plunge-saw-and-mft-table-each-491594) on my MFT-style top. Honestly I don't find the action for the top side that cumbersome, and I do think having to reach under and unscrew something to move it offsets some of the benefit with the actual clamp action (unless you're frequently clamping/unclamping without actually moving the clamp location). They were also cheap (~$20), and work as track clamps for my track saw and some of my other fixtures with T-track (like the drill press table). That versatility is really what I like about them.

Michael Burnside
12-13-2022, 6:07 PM
I use a mix of TSO and Festool clamps. Both suit pretty much every need. Plus I can use a lot of the TSO stuff on my CNC which I designed to match the dog size/pattern of an MFT.

Mike Wilkins
12-13-2022, 11:42 PM
Festool has an assortment of MFT compatible accessories. I recently got one of their kits in a Systainer.
Lee Valley also has several dogs for the MFT as well as clamping plates which utilizes the Bessey lever clamps in both 20mm and 3/4" dog hole arrangements.

Clint Baxter
12-14-2022, 6:08 AM
TSO has Power-loc clamps that might suit you. They install in the dog hole and then are tightened in place by a 5mm fastener from above the table. You might be able to just get their Power-loc dog and attach the Kreg Automaxx clamp to it. I’ve been seriously considering doing the same with the Bessey auto-adjust toggle clamps.

Jack Frederick
12-16-2022, 10:23 AM
I use the Festool clamps from my track saw as well as the Festool QR clamps I picked up. Once we get moved I am going to put in a couple t-tracks in the mft. Not sure on the lay-out of that but think it will come in handy and I can then use some of the Rockler clamps in the trac. I have looked at Festool’s In-line Clamping elements. I like my Festool gear but $130+ for those? I think I’ll buy some 20mm AL bar stock at McMaster Carr, drill and tap for some all thread. Using a 1/4” socket swivel I think they can be made quite useable for about $10 a pair in material.