PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on chains

Hipa Store
12-12-2022, 10:02 PM
Thoughts on Chain ...

So I mainly run Oregon & Stihl chain. Full chisel pro grade stuff.
The stihl chain seems considerable harder. Stays sharp longer, but when it goes, it goes quick. And considerably harder to sharpen (more strokes with increased pressure.) Oregon, on the other hand, seems softer. More touch-ups required, but I can dial in a tooth in half a stroke some times. And with a very light touch.
Am I imagining this? What are your experiences?

Tom M King
12-13-2022, 9:59 AM
Stihl chain is the hardest chain I know of, but it's not really that hard to sharpen. You just have to use a good file, and not one that has just been tossed in a toolbox. I think most people who use a chainsaw for a living prefer a Stihl or Husqvarna chain. They are more expensive than Oregon chains

The chain I use the most, because I don't really do that much cutting with one, is Oregon 72EXL. It has harder teeth than the regular Oregon chains, but not as hard as Stihl chain. They're not much more than half the cost of a Sthil chain, and last plenty good enough for me since I whet one every time I refuel the saw. That way it only takes a couple of strokes per tooth, and is much easier on my arms for both sharpening, and always using the saw with a sharp chain.

John Lanciani
12-13-2022, 10:23 AM
So you're running a full chisel pro grade chain on your homeowner grade ms250 that won't start? Interesting...

Bill Dufour
12-13-2022, 11:11 AM
You can always buy diamond chain. Of course you have to figure out how to use flood coolant so it does not burn up.
Bill D

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-13-2022, 6:04 PM
I won't use anything but Sihl chain and not the home owner stuff. I one used oregon and it was easy to sharpen with a fiile, just required sharpening several times a day. I have the $30 chain sharpener from HF and keep 4 or 5 Stihl chains for my saw. Back when I heated my house with wood, I would often hit a nail or stone embedded in the trunks. Might have to change chains once or twice in 4 or 5 hours of cutting. Now 4 chains may last the year between sharpening sessions. The stihl chain is incredibly harder than the oreon. However, with the sharpener, it is also easier to sharpen. I cut mostly softer hardwoods (poplar, sassafras, red maple, etc) A lumber guy told me to change the angle slightly on the chain. just 5 degrees more acute It made an incredible difference in how fast I can cut through green poplar, etc. When I rip cut a bowl blank, I get long noodle shaped shavings. .

Phillip Mitchell
12-14-2022, 10:32 PM
Is there an echo in here or what?

Warren Lake
12-14-2022, 10:43 PM
Phillip I have an Echo Weed Whacker?

I looked up Hipa Store and it sells Hipa Chain. Is that you?

Keegan Shields
12-15-2022, 7:39 AM
If this is a bot, why isn’t the account banned?

Jared Sankovich
12-15-2022, 9:44 AM
If this is a bot, why isn’t the account banned?

Sponsor.. the funny thing is I think "sawmill" in the site name caused confused and the algorithm to think this was a arborist/wood harvesting site where there are a concentration of chainsaw enthusiasts.

Bill Dufour
12-15-2022, 1:53 PM
Diamond saw chains have really come down in price and can be had for under one thousand dollars now.
Bill D