PDA

View Full Version : Cutting croch blanks?

Jeff Horton
01-26-2006, 2:22 PM
I was a given a large pecan tree. One of the logs has LOTS of large croches. I want to know how best to cut these to keep the best figure in the crotches. I read this years ago but I don't remember how how to cut the blanks.

Actually have so much pecan I am not sure what I will do with it all once I get it cut up.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 2:41 PM
Actually have so much pecan I am not sure what I will do with it all once I get it cut up.

Uh Jeff.... anything I can do to help, neighbor? :D :D

Gary Max
01-26-2006, 3:07 PM
I was a given a large pecan tree. One of the logs has LOTS of large croches. I want to know how best to cut these to keep the best figure in the crotches. I read this years ago but I don't remember how how to cut the blanks.

I bet you are to far south of me---heck I could just swing by---with my truck and chainsaw-- and help you solve several of the problems.:)

John Hart
01-26-2006, 3:39 PM
Well...here's what I'd do, if I were you...since you're obviously not going to entertain the idea of putting all that wood in a U-Haul that you rent tomorrow to drive up to 176th Street in Cleveland Ohio to drop off in my driveway on Sunday....

Take your Wye of a crotch and rip it so you have two wye half-logs, take a look at the figure inside and make a determination from there where you want the next cut....Then put it in that U-Haul that I just mentioned. ;)

Andy Hoyt
01-26-2006, 3:54 PM
Yeah, but once you get to Clevetown the resident chemist will suck you so far deep into his laboratory that you'll never escape. And since oneway rentals on U Hauls are soooo expensive, I suggest you save your money, ship the sawn crotch blanks to the top right corner via Fast Freddies Freight Forwarders. You'll feel better in the morning.

Steve Clardy
01-26-2006, 5:21 PM
Yes. John has it. Rip the wye

Jim Ketron
01-26-2006, 7:01 PM
It can be done a few ways. It depends on how you want the figure in the piece to show, and if you want 2 halves or one single piece. Splitting it at both piths will give you 2 pieces to work with, and will sometimes give you a nice feather curl in both pieces make nice platters or Bowls. I usually go for 1 piece most of the time if I plan to make a bowl (If the crotch is large!) it will give you a wedge shape to work with from in between the limbs and center pith of the main trunk.