PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Set-up Question

Wes Bischel
01-26-2006, 2:00 PM
While I'm waiting for my Kreg K2000PP to arrive I've been thinking about how I would store the jig once it is set-up. This may be self explanatory once I get the darn thing, but I don't have much room in my shop so finding a good way to store the system is paramount.
I guess I could keep it in the little briefcase, but the thought of having to set it up and break it down every time seems to be a pain since they recommend mounting it on a board.

How does everyone else store their Kreg jigs?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wes

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 2:04 PM
Still got mine in it's little case, but it has not seen much use yet. Might have to change that after I get things moving.

Rob Blaustein
01-26-2006, 2:25 PM
I built the jig that they recommend (a jig for the jig, that is) and it's very useful. I think most people do that. I've not figured out a good spot for it, so it gets moved around from place to place in my disorganized shop. I keep the smaller parts in a drawer.

Frank Pellow
01-26-2006, 2:29 PM
As Kreg recommends, I mounted the main K2000 jig on a piece of plywood. I hang that on the wall as shown in the following photo:

I keep the rest of the components in a small drawer:

frank shic
01-26-2006, 2:51 PM
wes, you can skip building the kreg jig entirely unless you have some extra time on your hands. whenever i need to drill pockets in the edges of long boards, i usually just turn the jig on its side and clamp. you will LOVE the kreg jig! :D

Frank Pellow
01-26-2006, 2:57 PM
wes, you can skip building the kreg jig entirely unless you have some extra time on your hands. whenever i need to drill pockets in the edges of long boards, i usually just turn the jig on its side and clamp. you will LOVE the kreg jig! :D
I must disagree with you Frank. I find the plywood-mounted jig that I built (in about half an hour) to be very very handy. Furthermose, as you can see from the above picture, it makes storage very easy.

Jim Fancher
01-26-2006, 3:24 PM
When I had the K2000 I had it screwed to some plywood. It's a fantastic tool. You'll love it.

I sold it to get the K3 kit and it's still sitting in the box. It's about to see some use soon though.

Mark Rios
01-26-2006, 3:53 PM
I got the full K3 kit as well and I've used it a few times. For me it's great but....why didn't it come with those side set-up blocks like the K2000 has? I had the K2000 a couple of years ago but never used it before I moved. I had, however, taken it out and checked it out and noticed the side blocks and their set-up. Why were they not included in the K3? They seemed like a good idea.

Mike Goetzke
01-26-2006, 4:08 PM
I've had mine for a little over a year now. I have used it quite a bit and I keep everything in the case it came in. I didn't put it on a board because there have been times when working on large cabinets I use the main unit with it's clamping device as aportable tool.

Mike

Jim Young
01-26-2006, 5:01 PM
I have the K3000 and just put it on a plywood board. It now lives in a corner when not in use. The extra parts are sill in the case.

Joe Unni
01-26-2006, 5:28 PM
I second Frank Pellow's approach. Build the plywood jig, drill a hole in it and hang it on the wall. Done.

-joe

Jim O'Dell
01-26-2006, 5:38 PM
I like the board method , too. I don't have mine mounted yet, but it will be mounted onto a board that will fit into a recessed area on the bench, much like a router table lift, only it will have some sort of method to lock it down that won't interfere with the usage. Then it can be hung on the wall or stored underneath the bench on a shelf. Jim.

Jay Knoll
01-26-2006, 6:30 PM
I built the plywood jig

And then before they figured it out, I made a chip collector (or did they copy my idea :D )

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19802

So those of us with the "old" version can have the dust/chip collection capability for about an hour of shop time and some scraps

Jay

Wes Bischel
01-26-2006, 6:31 PM
Wow, lots to consider! I am going to make the jig for the jig if only because the unit is new to me and I figure it is best to go by hate instructions before I mess things up.:D

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to need to do something otherwise I'll loose all the little parts.

Wes

Wes Bischel
01-26-2006, 6:36 PM
Jay, thanks for reminding me of your earlier post - I'll definitely need to make one of those bird houses for my new jig. Great idea!

Wes

Rob Blaustein
01-27-2006, 2:28 PM
Nice dust collection system Jay. My usual technique is to clamp the jig down to a table, clamp in the piece that I'm drilling into, then drill with my right hand while holding the shop vac near the outlet with my left hand. When I pull the bit out, I usually shift the shop vac up to near that drill collet to catch the dust/chips on the way out. But maybe I'll try your cage, looks easy to make.

Chris Dodge
01-27-2006, 2:57 PM
I did the same thing as Jay because I got tired of cleaning up the chips. My design looks slightly different but only because I use a bigger hose.

I also, attached the jig to a board and hang it on the wall when not in use. It gets a lot of use in my shop though. A fantastic tool it is!

Peter Pedisich
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Wes,

I just made this today for my K3 to make some frames for wainscot for our foyer to match the frame and panel look of the mantel I did this past Fall.

Pete

Joe Scarfo
01-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I built the jig as described and it hangs from the end of my shop cabinets. The hardware (step bit and driver bits) are kept in easy reach in my roll around mechanics tool chest.

Joe

Dave Fifield
01-29-2006, 12:52 AM
I built the plywood jig

And then before they figured it out, I made a chip collector (or did they copy my idea :D )

So those of us with the "old" version can have the dust/chip collection capability for about an hour of shop time and some scraps

Jay

What a neat idea Jay, thanks for that. I wasn't on SMC when you posted orginally so it's fortuitous that you mentioned it again. I have one of the "old" Kreg kits (screwed to a lump of ply like they suggested). I'm going add the DC port per your idea. No need for a K3 then, right?

Cheers,
Dave F.

Frank Pellow
01-29-2006, 5:34 AM
I built the plywood jig

Jay
Thanks Jay, it looks like a great idea. Well done! Hey, there is even a Festool hose in the picture.

I will make a copy of your little house later today. I was not using my pocket hole system much when you originally posted this, so I did not copy the idea then. Now, I am using it a lot, so I thank you for drawing this to our attention.

Steven Shelby
01-29-2006, 9:06 AM
I second Frank Pellow's approach. Build the plywood jig, drill a hole in it and hang it on the wall. Done.

-joe

That's what I did with mine. Not too tough, even for me!

Jerry Todd
01-29-2006, 9:13 AM
I did the same as FRANK PELLOW and it works great.

Wes Bischel
01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey Pete,

The fireplace looks great! Did it get done before the holidays - or during?:D :rolleyes:
Seriously, you should post it, I think there would be others that could learn from your experience.

Wes

Frank Pellow
02-02-2006, 7:55 AM
I built the plywood jig

Jay

Thanks Jay, it looks like a great idea. Well done! Hey, there is even a Festool hose in the picture.

I will make a copy of your little house later today. I was not using my pocket hole system much when you originally posted this, so I did not copy the idea then. Now, I am using it a lot, so I thank you for drawing this to our attention.

Jay, I want to thank you again for this idea. I made the jig two days ago then used it last night and it's great. My "birdhouse" in a little different than yours. Because the sides of the Kreg jig are slightly angled, I angled the sides of the "birdhouse" and I made it tight so that it self clamps to the Kreg jig and stays in place when I hang the whole thing on the wall.

My Grandson Ethan (3 and a half) will be happy to see this. About 3 weeks ago, he was "helping" me to drill some holes and was bothered by the fact that we were creating chips on the bench and floor.

Chris Christopher
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I have mine hanging from the open rafters in the shop--two holes on the board--two pegs in the rafter--No problems mate!!

Jay Knoll
02-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Frank

Glad it worked out for you.

Mine is angled as well, guess it doesn't show in the pics

Jay