PDA

View Full Version : What time is it? I can't read it either

Tom Bender
12-10-2022, 2:38 PM
We don't wear our glasses in bed so the clock is a little hard to read. It got better with a little electrical tape. Now it shows 2 30 instead of 2:30

Paul F Franklin
12-10-2022, 4:56 PM
We had the same problem. When our clock radio died, we replaced it with a sony model that projects the time on the ceiling (or wall or whatever). Bright enough to see in the dark, but not too bright, and plenty big enough to read without our specs. My sole gripe is the that the ceiling display has to be turned on manually each night, and then stays on for 16 hours for some reason. Why they didn't make it on-in-the-dark, off-in-the-light I have no idea.

Jim Koepke
12-10-2022, 7:18 PM
Our clock has numbers big enough for me to see without my glasses. Sometimes the numbers are blurry.

One thing that does kind of bug me is there is a built in chip that keeps the time when the power goes off. It can not be reset and it is slow by a about 12 minutes. When the clock is set correctly it seems within a week we have a power hiccough and it goes back to being off again.
It is like time travel, walking into the kitchen and looking at the clock.

jtk

Bruce Page
12-10-2022, 8:45 PM
Our clock has numbers big enough for me to see without my glasses. Sometimes the numbers are blurry.

One thing that does kind of bug me is there is a built in chip that keeps the time when the power goes off. It can not be reset and it is slow by a about 12 minutes. When the clock is set correctly it seems within a week we have a power hiccough and it goes back to being off again.
It is like time travel, walking into the kitchen and looking at the clock.

jtk

We have two "Atomic" clocks that supposedly will reset from the NIST signal out of Fort Collins, Colorado. Both are always 4 min behind. :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-10-2022, 9:29 PM
I fixed the issue of not being able to read the clock from my place in bed on 17 January 2003. That's the day I had LASIK. :) :D Since then, only Professor Dr. SWMBO has trouble reading clocks at night without her glasses on. So whether it's my Apple Watch on the nightstand, the clock on the cedar chest across the room under the wall mounted TV or the clock on The Professor's nightstand, I can read them with either or both eyes no problem. They are also all set to 24 hour time, so there's no question whether or not it's day or night, at least if the lights are on. LOL

Mel Fulks
12-11-2022, 12:04 AM
I think they still make the clocks that project the time onto the wall or ceiling. I bought one for my Son years ago. Can’t remember if he
still has it ,or if I reclaimed it after he moved into the future. Before electric lights people just went to bed when it was too dark to do stuff.
They had “first sleep” and “second sleep” . In between time was for sex, but some non -conformists would get up and do chores or read.
No TV back then, so few choices.

Doug Garson
12-11-2022, 1:08 AM
Yes, there are lot's of clocks that project the time on the ceiling, also lot's of clocks with big displays or smart speakers like the Amazon Echo that will announce the time, of course that might wake up your partner. I hear your pain though, for the last few years our 30+ year old Sony Cube clock radio in the master bath has been very hard to read when checking the time after a early morning pee despite no longer needing glasses after my cataract surgery, solution an Amazon Echo with clock so I'm sure there's a solution out there for you.

Jack Frederick
12-11-2022, 9:37 AM
I don’t like a clock that displays the time. I find myself checking the time all night rather than sleeping. 3:02, check again at 3:06. Tedious and not very productive, so I rely only on my Apple Watch. If I wave my hand over it while it is charging on the night stand it gives a large clear reading. Thing is I have to ask for the time that way. If I wear the watch without my specs it goes back to a screen with a lot of info but the time small and I cannot read it without specs.

Michael Weber
12-11-2022, 11:04 AM
I’m sitting where I can easily turn and see multiple clocks. My phone, ipad (that’s in my lap!) microwave, range, wall oven and Mr. coffee. Ironically, in this digital age, when I want to see what time it is, this is what I always look to.

Mel Fulks
12-11-2022, 12:24 PM
Michael’s clock is smiling at its own joke. A clock with vertical numbers has a FACE ! Numbers that align through center are DIALS.

Bruce Wrenn
12-11-2022, 1:39 PM
For 30+ years we had a wall clock in our bedroom. At night there was just enough light to make out the time. Few years back clock was taken down. I still find myself looking at the wall to see what time it is, despite having TWO different clock radios in the room. As for time at night, my bladder tells when it's time to get up. Somehow, in the mornings, always wake up five to ten minutes before clock is set to go off. Been doing this all my life. Same thing goes for my 30 minute mid afternoon nap. Set alarm, and wake up five minutes before it's set to go off.

Warren Lake
12-11-2022, 3:17 PM
and this comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgF_ycCmF18

roger wiegand
12-11-2022, 7:05 PM
We have two "Atomic" clocks that supposedly will reset from the NIST signal out of Fort Collins, Colorado. Both are always 4 min behind. :rolleyes:

That suggests you're about 4.5 million miles from Fort Collins, I think.

We have multiple clocks that chime the hours and half hours. That's ususally close enough if I happen to be awake in the middle of the night.

Mel Fulks
12-11-2022, 7:26 PM
I read in the original instructions that mountains could be a problem, can’t remember if they gave a fix.

Bruce Page
12-11-2022, 9:54 PM

That would explain a lot.

Lee Schierer
12-12-2022, 3:00 PM

Maybe those two are the only two that are right and all the others are 4 minutes ahead.

Years ago there was a woman that worked at the country courthouse. Every day at 11:50 a man would call and ask what time it was. The lady would give him the time. This went on for several years. Finally the man asked where the lady obtained the correct time. She promptly replied that they set their clocks every day by the noon whistle and then asked why the man called every day. He replied, I'm the guy that blows the noon whistle.

Lee DeRaud
12-12-2022, 3:27 PM
You dropped a zero: he's about 45 million miles from pretty much anywhere useful.

roger wiegand
12-13-2022, 8:14 AM
You dropped a zero: he's about 45 million miles from pretty much anywhere useful.

Oops, that's a problem with using a calculator that doesn't display in scientific notation. Too many digits to count correctly.