PDA

View Full Version : Add variable speed to feed belt?

Carl Beckett
12-10-2022, 11:49 AM
I have this Jet widebelt - it is 3 phase.

The feed belt is a constant speed and at times I would like to slow it down. I assume a VFD is appropriate - any recommendations? It is not a big motor at all at .2kw. There 'might' be room to panel mount it - and some I have seen have a faceplate separate from the power electronics.

It is already 3 phase and no plans on changing that, just wanting variable speed.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Richard Coers
12-10-2022, 12:54 PM
First make sure the belt feed motor is 3ph. Not uncommon for those to be single phase DC.

Edward Weber
12-10-2022, 1:39 PM
As Richard says, the feed belt motors are often DC.
I replaced the "smartsand" controller on my Jet with a manual controller. It was inexpensive and pretty straight forward. I was able to get a little DC speed controller, but mine is 110v.
you may need to do some wiring.

Bill Dufour
12-10-2022, 4:03 PM
AFAIK any VfD can be remote mounted with low voltage wires to a remote control box.
BillD.

Carl Beckett
12-10-2022, 4:29 PM
Well that pic in the first post is the plate off the feed 'motor' - but I see it says 'reducer'.

It does say 220/440 50/60 hz, 4 pole. I thought that would mean 3 phase but maybe I need to do some searching.

John Lanciani
12-10-2022, 7:53 PM
That's clearly a 3 phase ac motor. Any of the available 1/2 hp rated vfds will work fine. Choose based on price and the availability of a manual that is understandable. I really like the FMX drives from factorymation.com

https://www.factorymation.com/TD200-20P2-1PH

Eric Arnsdorff
12-10-2022, 7:56 PM
Carl the 4 pole is indicating the number of motor electromagnetic poles. It has 4 poles which means the motor runs at ~1800 rpm @ 60 Hz and the reducer takes it down to 28 rpm.
You'll have to check the motor to see if it is single or three phase.

If it is 3 phase then adding a small VFD to it would do the trick and it's fairly simple to do. I'd go with AutomtationDirect for that. They have outstanding customer support so if you're unsure what you're doing all it takes is a phone call and they'll get you going. You'll have to determine what the voltage is but one at this link should work:

Micro | Drives & Soft Starters | Products | AutomationDirect (https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/drives_-a-_soft_starters/ac_variable_frequency_drives_(vfd)/micro#start=0)

Ron Selzer
12-10-2022, 9:47 PM
open the wiring box on motor and decide how many wires are actually going to motor.
tag is actually for the speed reducer, possibly different motors attached to it
google search shows
motor for sale on eBay shows wiring diagram with 2 power wires and 6 motor leads = single phase
o (https://okmarts.com/electric-motor/liming/liming-electric-motor-sv-a10.html)kmarts dot com says motor is three phase,

Edward Weber
12-11-2022, 12:21 PM
I didn't realize that was your feed motor tag.
I think you can get a small VFD that would work for not too much

Alex Zeller
12-12-2022, 9:43 PM
Since the tag says 220/440v I would assume it's a 3 phase motor. So a small VFD would work just fine as long as you don't slow the motor down too much.