PDA

View Full Version : A couple of small angle grinder questions

James Goodman
12-09-2022, 1:37 PM
Inexperienced angle grinder owner here....I have an old, cheap single speed, 4.5" Hitachi angle grinder with a side switch that I have used rarely for some cup-brushing of old stationary tools and concrete-beveling on some retaining walls. I never really had a lot of use for angle grinder when I worked as a carpenter/millwork shop owner, but I am going to have more use for one with the various jobs I need/want to do around my house and property. I want to get a good, versatile grinder and I really want it to be variable speed to help my ability to control it better. In the little bit of concrete beveling I did, it was clear that being able to slow it down would have helped in producing a better result, and I'm in no big rush anymore on any job I do, and variable speed control would definitely be best for me. But, it seems that any "variable speed" small angle grinders that I've researched do not seem to have trigger-controlled variable speed....like the type of speed control you have with a variable speed drill. I would think that type of control would be possible with a "rattail" type configuration. But from what I've seen, the "variable speed" is always a wheel that will increase or lower the grinder's speed, but it results in a greater or lower FIXED speed that is turned on or off by the control switch. Are there any small angle grinders out there that have the type of speed control that I'm looking for? And please also explain the plusses and minuses of the 3 types of switches....slide thumb swith, paddle switch and rattail. Thanks.

lou Brava
12-09-2022, 4:12 PM
I've used em quite a bit & I wouldn't get hung up on speed control, a soft start would cool but I seen that. It's more about ergonomics and having the right wheel for your application. The ergo part will vary from manufacture for sure but even the same manufacture will produce small grinders with completely different ergos, but after a few hours with the tool I'm usually fine with em. Choosing the right wheel is far more important, diamond flat, diamond cupped, abrasive flat, abrasive cupped, abrasive thin cut off, abrasive thick, diamond cut off just to name a few. If your going to be doing a lot concrete work get on that has water attachment a lot more money but silica dust is a killer.

Tom M King
12-09-2022, 4:23 PM
I have two toolboxes full of them, and use them for all sorts of jobs too. I've never thought about needing variable speed any more than setting one at a fixed speed by the speed dial. I'm not brand loyal at all. When you catch one at a deal on sale, that's the time to buy one. We used a 39.95 Hitachi for a couple of weeks straight, all day every day for removing paint from and old house (using supplied air and body protection), and it still runs smoothly.

For concrete, and such masonry work, I buy the cheapest ones, and use a water hose to take care of the dust. I know they're not going to last. You don't need much of a flow of water. I'm not breathing any kind of dust.

Warren Lake
12-09-2022, 4:39 PM
have a few and die grinders. Id never buy another electric without a speed control. I dont care if you cant throttle it, my die grinders do that. I cut out masonry stuff between bricks with a 1/4" diamond wheel on a garage and to not have speed control was making a mess. With no speed control you can do as much damage as good, the gyroscopic thing is more pronounced with the higher speed. Likely have two with no speed control and never pick them up. Even sharpening the lawn mower blades, I dont need a grinder running full RPM.

Zachary Hoyt
12-09-2022, 4:43 PM
I've had a DeWalt for about 10 years that has been great. I have used it a lot cutting metal with thin disks when putting things together, and also for carving archtop guitar, mandolin and fiddle plates with a Kutzall carving disk. I paid about $70 at the time I bought it, and it has been much better than any other grinder I've had. I also tried a Harbor Freight grinder for $18 after reading on another site that they were just as good as anything else, and the motor lasted about an hour before it quit.

Cameron Wood
12-09-2022, 5:49 PM
I have a bunch- don't think any have a speed control, but that would be nice.

Hate those side switches, prefer ones with an actual handle and trigger switch.

It's annoying changing the wheels & the different brands all have their own standards, so I tend to have one for each-

diamond wheel- masonry; cut off wheel- steel; coarse sanding disc; flap sander; regular grinding wheel.

Tom M King
12-09-2022, 6:02 PM
In my toolboxes for 4-1/2" grinders, all the different wrenches are in the top, but the one I end up reaching for first is one that has a hinge so the pin spacing is variable. I forget where I bought them.

Jack Frederick
12-09-2022, 7:13 PM
I’m a pipe fitter by trade and have spent a lot of time with angle grinders of all descriptions. When picking them out look at the amperage on the grinder. It is, in my experience, a better indication of what you want and that is power. Like any tool it takes practice to develop your hand with grinders. In my trade the majority of accidents are eye related, mostly from grinders. Get a good grinder but make sure you have really good eye protection

Thomas McCurnin
12-09-2022, 7:31 PM
Two Bosch. One beater for masonry; One for everything else. Never used the speed control.

Kris Cook
12-09-2022, 10:51 PM
You didn't really describe what types of jobs you want to do with the grinder but I would think with a trigger operated grinder, variable speed would be difficult to maintain a constant speed if you are doing anything heavy duty because of the grip you need to maintain on the handle. For lighter duty jobs you might consider a disc sander (not ROS) which would have a trigger operated speed control.

Ron Selzer
12-09-2022, 11:51 PM
make sure it has a 5/8 arbor. Believe that is and has been standard for a while. I have three small grinders, 2 have different metric arbors and the Milwaukee has a 1/2-13. Couple years after buying the Milwaukee it seemed all the small grinders went to 5/8 arbor just like the 7" and 9"
Never felt the need for a variable speed trigger. Prefer the paddle switch

Jim Dwight
12-10-2022, 10:28 AM
I have a cheap one I got at Northern Hydraulic to cut ceramic tile and 10 years later it still works fine. I was hoping initially it lasted through the job I bought it for. But I also burned out a cheap Harbor Freight one cutting up metal grate at church. It lasted about an hour cutting with a diamond blade. At home I usually use one of my Milwaukee cordless angle grinders. The 7 inch is too big and heavy for easy one hand use but the little 4.5 inch works great one handed. I think you can get one with a paddle switch but mine have slide switches. I mainly want the grinder to stay on without attention, so I like slide switches. I've never had one with variable speed but I've never really missed it. Control for me is more having the write wheel in the grinder and it being the right size and weight. Mostly I've used angle grinders to cut metal recently. At least for small cuts they work great. For big cuts my favorite tool is an Evolution track saw. Makes large cuts really well. Anyway, I would consider a cordless, they are handy and plenty powerful.

Weogo Reed
12-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Hi James,

I have way to many hundreds of hours running small and large angle grinders.
Current grinder is a 4.5" Makita with variable speed on a dial and soft-start.
Mostly I run it wide-open, but occasionally do use at lower speeds.
The soft-start is nice. Might even help with too life.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

andrew whicker
12-10-2022, 11:38 AM
In my toolboxes for 4-1/2" grinders, all the different wrenches are in the top, but the one I end up reaching for first is one that has a hinge so the pin spacing is variable. I forget where I bought them.

I haven't used a wrench for years. I now just tighten the wheel w/ my hand. Definitely agree w/ not worrying about brand loyalty on grinders.

I'm also not sure why speed control would be important. Grinders are mostly easy to control outside of some special circumstances like deep cuts.

Bruce Wrenn
12-10-2022, 9:40 PM
Search in your shop and see if you have a router speed control box. Works on any universal ac/dc motor, except those with soft start. I own several B&D / DeWalt grinders. Couple years back, my 40+ year old bit the dust. Every part, except the case (now yellow instead of black) was available. Have a couple of those HF cheapies ($9.99) that are attached to mower blade sharpening jigs. Seldom do they run more than a couple minutes at the time. Do have a couple of 7"/9" grinders, but it's been so long since they were used, I don't remember where they are.