PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on adapting a better overarm (Uniguard) blade dust collector

Bob Borzelleri
12-08-2022, 9:50 PM
I have been using this Delta Uniguard blade guard that I adapted to accommodate a dust hose for about 15 years. After cutting the hole, I experimented with several different adhesives to hold the black collar onto the lexan/lucite top only to have it last for a year at the most before letting go. I think I have re-glued it 10 times.

It occurred to me that someone else might have tried to adapt a Uniguard overarm blade guard to allow for dust collection at the blade. Perhaps a technique that doesn’t require serial gluing.

Bill Dufour
12-08-2022, 11:16 PM
I would use a flange and small brass screws to hold it on. Brass in case one falls into the blade.
Bill D

Patrick Varley
12-09-2022, 1:49 AM
Perhaps a bolt-on magport (with the mating magport on the hose)?

https://magport.net/products/4-magport-bolt-on

https://magport.net/products/magport-4

Brian Tymchak
12-09-2022, 8:13 AM
I've not used it yet but I think I would try one of the new UV cured glues, like the cements being used in dental work. You could even build up a flange with that stuff, although it would take a while.

Jim Becker
12-09-2022, 9:19 AM
I built a whole replacement head for the one I owned a couple decades ago out of .25" thick Lexan. Unfortunately, I don't have any surviving photos.

Bob Borzelleri
12-09-2022, 6:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will combine the suggested approaches by building a blade cover out of lexan and use flanges and brass screws.

As for the Magport, I could see myself running up some notable purchases on that site. I have five 6x4” dust collection drops that require me to finesse the hoses on each time I swap out from one drop to another. Magports at each gate makes a ton of sense.

Off to Tap Plastics this weekend.

Jim Becker
12-09-2022, 6:41 PM
The one downside to the UniGuard is that it (natively) cannot be swung out of the way for certain, albeit rare, cuts that require "tall". Otherwise, the retrofit isn't all that difficult to support dust collection.

Frank Martin
12-09-2022, 6:52 PM
When I had a Uniguard on my Unisaw years ago, I switched to Sharkguard for dust collection reasons and the dust hose came down from the ceiling mounted dust collection main header. Sold the Uniguard.

Bob Borzelleri
12-09-2022, 7:50 PM
When I had a Uniguard on my Unisaw years ago, I switched to Sharkguard for dust collection reasons and the the dust hose came down from the ceiling mounted dust collection main header. Sold the Uniguard.

Yep, I have given some thought to that option. Think I’ll sleep on it.

Bob Borzelleri
12-10-2022, 2:09 AM
Didn’t even need to sleep on it. Looks like the Sharkguard Delta ARK will fit my 34-445X saw. Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.

If it is a good fit, I will yank the Uniguard and mount the Sharkguard using a 2.5” hose dropped from the 6” tube attached to the ceiling.

My recent research reminded me that I have not used the splitter out of convenience for several years. Time to bring the odds back in my favor.

Patrick Varley
12-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Didn’t even need to sleep on it. Looks like the Sharkguard Delta ARK will fit my 34-445X saw. Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.

If it is a good fit, I will yank the Uniguard and mount the Sharkguard using a 2.5” hose dropped from the 6” tube attached to the ceiling.

My recent research reminded me that I have not used the splitter out of convenience for several years. Time to bring the odds back in my favor.

If you're willing to drop the money, definitely the best option. I switched out the stock knife/guard on my SawStop for a SharkGuard and wouldn't go back.

And honestly if you were going to have to buy all new material to fabricate something, I'd argue the time/hassle savings is worth the extra cost for a finished product.

Frank Martin
12-10-2022, 12:01 PM
I had the version with the 4” dust port as it supports far more air flow compared to 2.5”. If you want to lower the air flow you can use one of those aluminum blast gates. When the hose is suspended from the ceiling this setup worked well for me.

Jeff Roltgen
12-10-2022, 1:00 PM
Just sent an inquiry to clear up a few questions.

Good luck. I'm on 3+ weeks, waiting for a response. = NO SALE

jeff

Jay Norton
12-10-2022, 2:08 PM
Good luck. I'm on 3+ weeks, waiting for a response. = NO SALE

jeff

That is the exact opposite of my interactions with Shark Guard. I had emailed them, and after a few days received a call from them. They had emailed me back, but the response went into my spam folder….so they called me to make sure my questions had been answered. Maybe try giving them a call, they were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone.

Bob Borzelleri
12-10-2022, 3:41 PM
Interesting. I sent an i inquiry last night and had an email response this morning (Saturday).

Bob Borzelleri
12-10-2022, 3:46 PM
If you're willing to drop the money, definitely the best option. I switched out the stock knife/guard on my SawStop for a SharkGuard and wouldn't go back.

And honestly if you were going to have to buy all new material to fabricate something, I'd argue the time/hassle savings is worth the extra cost for a finished product.

Yes, time and materials did factor into my decision. The older I get, the more willing am to buy tool type stuff rather than
make them.

Paul Haus
12-10-2022, 11:09 PM
I bought and tried a Uniguard on my saw and I was not happy with it. I decided the solution was to make my own guard, which I did using a few pieces from the Uniguard and making the rest myself. I made it and used a Whale Shark guard on it and ran the dust collection through the arm. I also saved and made a mount to use the guard from the Uniguard when needed. I even made it so by pulling a pin the whole arm could be swung out of the way when needed to cut tall pieces (like cutting tenons on the end of boards). It's been 10-15 years now and I still use it.

Marc Fenneuff
12-10-2022, 11:27 PM
I have a Shark Guard with 4" DC port and I'm a big fan. Have never had an issue with their customer service.

Jeff Roltgen
12-13-2022, 12:16 PM
With respect to said vendor, I must follow up:

Thanks to everyone's positive feedback here, I tried the email inquiry with SharkGuard again.
Less than 1 hr later, a message was received - their online configuration menu is currently a bit buggy, requested I call for clarification.
Order placed, 2-3 weeks lead time and it will ship.
Now, to re-config my DC for an overhead 4" drop...

Thanks all for convincing me my original experience was a fluke, and I agree, couldn't be a more helpful, friendly experience. Anxious for an improved DC/safety system on my saw.

jeff

Marc Fenneuff
12-13-2022, 2:36 PM
Thanks all for convincing me my original experience was a fluke, and I agree, couldn't be a more helpful, friendly experience. Anxious for an improved DC/safety system on my saw.

Glad it ended up working out for you. I feed mine from a 4" PVC branch. After this photo was taken I added a hook at the ceiling so that I can hang the guard there when I need it out of the way. I have seen some photos of Unistrut used to suspend the Shark from the ceiling. I bought the adapter from them but have not taken the time yet to build it. The PVC->DC adapter is from Rockler.

As long as I'm taking a full-kerf cut, nothing is added to the air with this setup and I don't need to put on my respirator. I have been very pleased.