PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an old video from ToolsfromJapan on sharpening with a 1000-6000-???????

Fred Bryant
12-08-2022, 9:36 PM
Life has interrupted shop time for a number of years. Getting back into it and looking for an old video, which hopefully is not a fantasy of my mind. Looks like the site is now defunct, but I recall a video on sharpening that was useful.

Thx's, Fred.

Tom M King
12-09-2022, 8:17 AM
Yes, Stu had a lot of good information on his site. He got worried really badly by people demanding almost instantly fast service and quit.

Derek Cohen
12-09-2022, 9:33 AM
Yes, Stu had a lot of good information on his site. He got worried really badly by people demanding almost instantly fast service and quit.

Stu's mother died. This hit him very hard, and he returned to Australia.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom M King
12-09-2022, 9:50 AM
Yes, but I think what pushed him over the edge was an irate customer complaining about delivery time while he was away for his Mother's funeral. He was a one man business with occasional help from his Sister. I enjoyed dealing with him, and his posts here. Very good service at very reasonable prices, but someone wanted good, cheap, and fast, and wanted it all badly.

Christopher Charles
12-09-2022, 5:13 PM
I too miss Stu's posts here and his business. I hope that he's doing well.

Fred Bryant
12-11-2022, 6:53 PM
Although I did not know him, I did appreciate and benefit from his help. I wish him well.

With that said, if no one tucked away his sharpening videos, I would appreciate a recommendation on holding the blade ( LN #4 ) freehand on the stone set ( 1000/6000/13000, although I am not sure the stone type matters ). I have looked at youtube and there is contradictory information overload. I did it at one point but seems to have lost the touch ( or I am doing something wrong ). I am spending way too long and making it shiny, but not sharp.

Thx's again. Fred.

Jim Koepke
12-12-2022, 1:09 AM
Fred, it would be helpful if we knew if you have a bench grinder or a honing guide. If you have a guide it would be helpful to know what type.

Also, if you have a way to record your efforts at sharpening this may help you. A video will reveal if your hands are staying in a straight line or not.

jtk

Kevin Jenness
12-12-2022, 7:13 AM
I find freehand sharpening straightforward with a hollow grind. The toe and heel contact the stone and determine the sharpening angle, then it's a matter of locking the wrists and moving the blade over the stone while maintaining that contact. As the hollow disappears I find it more difficult so I go back to the grinder.

To sharpen a flat bevel is harder, but plenty of people do it. It's a matter of feeling that initial solid contact on the stone and maintaining it, which takes practice. Once the stone has raised a wire edge, turn the blade over, remove the wire with a few strokes, wipe the swarf off and move to the next stone in sequence. If you aren't getting a wire edge you aren't sharpening to the edge, and if your edge is convex you have lost control of the angle.

You can add a microbevel by tipping up the blade off the stone, but it is hard to be consistent with a hand-held blade. Jigs can help and require less skill, but freehand is simple and works well with practice. When working with waterstones it is important to keep them flat.

steven c newman
12-12-2022, 1:33 PM
Ishitani had a video, where he was building a Trestle Table.....that also shows him at a large utility sink, SHARPENING the iron from one of his planes...then shows the plane in use.

Might be worth the effort to look THAT up?

Christopher Charles
12-14-2022, 1:53 PM
This one is quite good, by Joel from TFWW. Production quality is 'vintage' but I found it to be excellent information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRxMsTOOeE