View Full Version : Mtn Cedar Box

Mike Ramsey
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
This is one of my attempts at making a box...Mountain Cedar left over
from a post. Sanded with no finish. Appreciate your critiques, top or
bottom to big, to small, shape? etc.

Keith Burns
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Great box. The only thing that struck me was that the top needed to be slightly bigger IMHO.:)

Joe Melton
01-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm with Keith on this. Nice as it is, but it looks like you started to copy one of those Moscow "onion" domes, and stopped just short. Don't mean to sound critical - it is a nice box.
Joe

Andy Hoyt
01-26-2006, 2:03 PM
Mike - The box looks great, but I think your models need a raise - so they can afford new clothes.:eek:

Blake McCully
01-26-2006, 2:33 PM
Mike,
This is Keith's quote,

Great box. The only thing that struck me was that the top needed to be slightly bigger IMHO.:)

I'm not sure that it really needs to be bigger. I think that if you were to roll the top of the bottom, where the top joins it, a little it might accent the top somewhat. I'm not sure I explained that right.

Let me try again. It appears that the top is "sitting" on the bottom. By making the transition between top and bottom more subtle, then I think the top would blend in with the bottom more.

Anyway, super box, I really do like the form. The figure is great as well.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 2:46 PM
Mike,

Nice looking box. Don't mind me because I don't know anything about boxes yet, but I think the bottom needs to be about 10-15% shorter proportionate wise. Does that make since?

Hey, nice job anyhow, the wood and the grain are perfect.

Mike Ramsey
01-26-2006, 2:59 PM
Don't apologize for critiques, that's why I posted it...Your help
means a lot.....I can't make it to Big Mike's class so any help is
appreciated!

Bill Stevener
01-26-2006, 3:13 PM
Hi Mike,

It's always hard to say what shape or size a box should be. The design is up to the artist to bring forth its beauty, using the wood at hand and what it reflects.

All in all I think the box is very nicely done. If I were the artist with that piece of wood I may have turned the lower portion a bit shorter, then again we all see things in our own way.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2006, 4:27 PM
I think the box looks pretty good. I hope my first one looks that good when I am done. Great work.

Michael Stafford
01-26-2006, 5:32 PM
Mike, I am flattered that you would even want to attend my class. You would be most welcome and certainly would be a star student with beginning efforts such as this.

I have not turned any cedar into a box form so I have no appreciation for how difficult this material was. One of my first attempts was in some very fine grained redwood that just was not suitable for box making. Softer woods tended to disappoint me when I was learning and I found that the hardwoods cut more cleanly, predictably and actually made some of the cuts I wanted to make easier. Hardwoods also seem to actually require less sanding time.

I will not critique your form in any way except to say as some others have said that the lid appears to be perched on the top. It sits there conspicuously separate from the bottom.

When I first started turning boxes I turned a lot of cylindrical shapes and tried to learn the techniques of disguising the joint between the lid and the bottom and getting the proportions between the two right. It is hard enough to get the join in the right place in a plain cylindrical box without complicating that sense of proportion with more complicated shapes. My suggestion would be to try slightly more simple shapes and perfect the joint between top and bottom, getting that nice suction fit and fine finish.

This box is an excellent early attempt. Much better than any of my first boxes. Keep turning and keep this baby safely tucked away so you can measure your progress. I think you definitely have the knack for it and I can hardly wait to see more. I love boxes of all shapes and I can appreciate your efforts. Turn some more!!!!

Mike Ramsey
01-26-2006, 7:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm having a hard time keeping the top &
bottom of the boxes proportional with each other, maybe I mean that they don't quite flow together. Gonna keep trying.
Andy, been trying to get rid of those figurines for a couple of years! but my wife keeps digging them back out of the trash, but maybe I'll have
better luck after I let her read your post.:D
Appreciate your encouragement Big Mike!!

Jim Ketron
01-26-2006, 7:27 PM
Nice Job!
Big Mike has some good advise, He is the Box Master you Know;)

Corey Hallagan
01-26-2006, 8:15 PM
Very nice Mike, I like it. I would expect that Cedar would turn fairly well and make a nice aroma in the shop!

Corey

Jim Dunn
01-26-2006, 8:45 PM
Nice looking Mike. No other comments as I'm under the weather:(

Dick Parr
01-26-2006, 9:23 PM
That is really great Mike, I love that shape.

John Hart
01-26-2006, 9:27 PM
Mike, I've been thinking about this for a couple hours. First, I have to say that I like it...The top is something that is my particular taste and I think your curves are wonderful. The body is straight even though the top curves in toward it. If it were me, I would put a complimentary curve in the body. 'Course then,...if it were me, there'd be cracks all over it and I'd hide it somewhere!:D Nice job!

Mike Ramsey
01-27-2006, 9:28 AM
I would expect that Cedar would turn fairly well and make a nice aroma in the shop!

Corey

Corey, It does smell good and turns pretty good but the problems start
when you begin sanding, as Cedar cracks so easily you have to go
really slow on the RPM and it still might crack. Had some that cracked
a day or so after it was finished....Use a dust mask!!

Mark Cothren
01-27-2006, 9:44 AM
Nice box, Mike! I like the shape of the top! I, too, like Cedar. But I've gotten to where the aroma is more than I can handle after a few minutes. I typically clean up Cedar shavings shortly after they are made.

You did good on this one!

Thanks for the pictures!

Andy Hoyt
01-27-2006, 9:48 AM
Amen on the smell. Got a mess of Aromatic Cedar a while back and after roughing two pieces I decided to wait til warmer weather when I can open doors and windows.

Also learned that it cracks easily and quickly, and that if left overnight it can develop a film of white goo. These are all signs that it's still too green for finish turning.

Mike Ramsey
01-27-2006, 1:02 PM
I've gotten to where the aroma is more than I can handle after a few minutes. I typically clean up Cedar shavings shortly after they are made.

Yep me too, when you first turn Cedar it's a really nice smell.......
I've gotten to the point of where I don't really care for it.

Ernie Nyvall
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Don't know anything about making boxes Mike, but I like that form. Nice work.

It would be nice to attend a Mike S class though wouldn't it.

Ernie