PDA

View Full Version : Lakeside No. 5 Jack Plane, Refurbished, Tuned-Up, Ready to Use

James Spangler
12-07-2022, 3:24 PM
Lakeside No. 5 jack plane, corrugated bottom, refurbished and tuned up
$65.00 + shipping
PayPal preferred, but will accept personal check (will ship when check clears)

Lakeside was a brand of tools marketed by Montgomery Ward and manufactured by various companies. This particular plane does not look like a Stanley design and I’m not sure if it could be Sargent made or some other manufacturer. It is a consumer grade tool and does not have the bells and whistles of a Bailey, but when properly tuned-up it works well. It could be a good starter plane or one that you may want to keep in the truck for use at a jobsite. A clipping from a 1941 Montgomery Ward catalog describing their Lakeside planes is included in the photos.

This plane was not given a full restoration. It was cleaned and de-rusted and the bottom was lapped. The japanning was not touched (it’s about 90% intact) other than cleaned and waxed. The chip breaker was honed at the leading edge to correctly mate with the iron. The iron was flattened/polished on the back and edge was hollow ground at 25 degrees followed by a secondary bevel of 30 degrees. The iron, which is nearly full length, has some pitting due to corrosion on the upper end of the iron. Both tote and knob were refinished and look rather nice.

Doug Weiner
12-07-2022, 3:28 PM
I’ve got a spot on my bench and I. My heart for this one.