PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Dado Question

Kris Cook
12-03-2022, 9:53 PM
I need to cut some dadoes in plywood and I don't have the dado brake cartridge. Is there a way to run the saw in bypass mode with a dado blade installed or will the electronics even allow me to do that?

Wes Grass
12-03-2022, 10:04 PM
I tried that some years back and failed. Had no idea there was actually a dado cartridge in a drawer in the shop.

Patrick Varley
12-04-2022, 12:24 PM
I'm fairly certain the answer is "no". Not only do you need a brake in place, but the electronics need to sense the blade rotating. I think that it does have the ability to sense the size of the blade, which means you can't use anything smaller than a 10" blade--dado or otherwise. And you can't bypass it because the saw has to get into the "green" before bypass is enabled.

Do you have a FTG rip blade? You can just take multiple passes, which is what I do half the time anyway to avoid switching out the brake.

Cameron Wood
12-04-2022, 1:42 PM
Not a Sawstop user, but doesn't this apply?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=bypass+the+brake+on+sawstop+table+saw#kpvalbx=_S ueMY-4PpKaq2w_C7JegCw_47

Patrick Varley
12-04-2022, 2:04 PM
Not a Sawstop user, but doesn't this apply?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=bypass+the+brake+on+sawstop+table+saw#kpvalbx=_S ueMY-4PpKaq2w_C7JegCw_47

If does not, at least as I've understood it. Bypass mode disables the detection. In order for the saw to start in bypass mode, it needs to otherwise pass all its own "checks" to start as it would normally. Then the brake is disengaged. So if there is something else wrong with the startup sequence you can't get to bypass mode.

johnny means
12-04-2022, 2:32 PM
You can connect a piece of stiff wire to the brake to bridge the gap between the cutter and the brake. The saw will sense the blades and function as normal.

Kris Cook
12-04-2022, 6:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have quite a few to cut so I ordered a dado cartridge.

Jim Becker
12-04-2022, 7:46 PM
I think that it does have the ability to sense the size of the blade, which means you can't use anything smaller than a 10" blade--dado or otherwise.

Dado blades must be 8". The 10" normal blades have to be pretty close to the actual 10"...some folks had issues with a few blades that were listed as 10", but were slightly smaller as manufactured. There is only a very limited tolerance in diameter variance.

mreza Salav
12-05-2022, 12:18 AM
That seems risky, could cause a false firing and a costly damage.

glenn bradley
12-05-2022, 5:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have quite a few to cut so I ordered a dado cartridge.

I think that is the right thing to do. As a Saw Stop owner I have spares of both types just in case.

Patrick Varley
12-05-2022, 4:41 PM
Dado blades must be 8". The 10" normal blades have to be pretty close to the actual 10"...some folks had issues with a few blades that were listed as 10", but were slightly smaller as manufactured. There is only a very limited tolerance in diameter variance.

Indeed. Should have clarified anything less than 10" with the regular brake. 8" on the dado (which is unfortunate, as it would be nice to be able save some money and just use a 6" dado stack).

John Kananis
12-05-2022, 4:56 PM
Indeed. Should have clarified anything less than 10" with the regular brake. 8" on the dado (which is unfortunate, as it would be nice to be able save some money and just use a 6" dado stack).

If you own a saw stop, you're likely not trying to save the couple bucks and going with a standard sized dado. I think anyway.

Jim Becker
12-05-2022, 6:26 PM
If you own a saw stop, you're likely not trying to save the couple bucks and going with a standard sized dado. I think anyway.
8" and 6" are both "standard" sizes, honestly...SS picked the larger which does tend to be more commonly used by folks, however.

Jay Norton
12-05-2022, 7:43 PM
I believe there are some 8” dado sets that are not recommended for a Sawstop, due to them being slightly oversized.

https://www.trentdavis.net/wp/2018/08/06/helpful-sawstop-links/#55--8-dado-stacks-

Jim Becker
12-05-2022, 8:00 PM
Certain tooth geometries are also an issue for the SS, to the best of my knowledge.

Jay Norton
12-05-2022, 8:32 PM
Yes, if you are referring to the anti-kickback shoulders. Sawstop does not “recommend” using blades with them.

Myles Moran
12-05-2022, 9:06 PM
I believe there are some 8” dado sets that are not recommended for a Sawstop, due to them being slightly oversized.

https://www.trentdavis.net/wp/2018/08/06/helpful-sawstop-links/#55--8-dado-stacks-

I have the Freud sd208s, and I've heard rumors that last s was added after they revised the design to fit the sawstop. I don't recall if it was a increase or decrease or if there is any merit to this rumor.

I do know though some 10" saw blades are actually metric sized, at 250mm instead of 254mm, so after a few sharpenings the brake might not be able to raise enough to have the required gap, or if you own a 10" and a 250mm, you'll be adjusting the brake every blade change.

James Jayko
12-07-2022, 9:19 AM
You can connect a piece of stiff wire to the brake to bridge the gap between the cutter and the brake. The saw will sense the blades and function as normal.

The dado cartridge is $100. Buying a $3000 saw and rigging it to avoid the $100 seems...counterproductive at best, tragically destructive at worst.

Justin Rapp
12-07-2022, 3:48 PM
The dado cartridge is $100. Buying a $3000 saw and rigging it to avoid the $100 seems...counterproductive at best, tragically destructive at worst.

I agree - i am glad someone posted before I did. I read the 'rig up post' and my first thought was that the wire gets picked up by the dado stack, sets off the brake anyway and the wire trashes something in the saw, or worse gets tossed at the saw operator. Not worth doing it right for $100.

Kris Cook
12-07-2022, 10:48 PM
I received the dado brake today cut some dados this evening and all is well. Appreciate all the input.

johnny means
12-08-2022, 12:10 AM
I never said it was the best idea. I can't imagine how it would damage the saw. It was designed to deal with quite a violent actuation. Anyways, it is a useful trick for running blades that they don't make brakes for, such as fret cutting blades.