PDA

View Full Version : My Shooting Board Gathers Dust

James Pallas
12-03-2022, 8:59 PM
I was just wondering about when others use shooting board. I use mine most often for angles. I use it rarely for straight cuts. It usually is gathering dust. I usually check it for square each time because it has been sitting and I don’t trust it. How do you use your board?
Jim

Stephen Rosenthal
12-03-2022, 9:32 PM
I have 2 shooting boards; 1 for end grain and a 4 footer with a movable fence for long edges. I don’t have a table saw or jointer, so these are used all the time.

Derek Cohen
12-03-2022, 10:22 PM
I have a couple: square, mitre ..

The square are used all the time I am building drawers. The need is to fit the front and rear drawer ends precisely. Not all drawer cases are perfectly square. Even 0.5 degree out will show up. Only a shooting board allows one to reach this fit accurately and without stress. This is not obvious if you do not aim for piston fit drawers.

There is also something very relaxing about shooting mitres for box ends, using a Donkeys Ear.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Pallas
12-03-2022, 11:04 PM
I have a couple: square, mitre .

The square are used all the time I am building drawers. The need is to fit the front and rear drawer ends precisely. Not all drawer cases are perfectly square. Even 0.5 degree out will show up. Only a shooting board allows one to reach this fit accurately and without stress. This is not obvious if you do not aim for piston fit drawers.

There is also something very relaxing about shooting mitres for box ends, using a Donkeys Ear.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I’m about the same on that. Miter block, donkeys ear or paper shim for a few degrees for an out if square fit. That’s when I get out the shooting board most often.
Jim

Jim Koepke
12-04-2022, 12:22 PM
My small shooting board isn't used as much as my large board. Mine is used on almost every job where square ends for accurate joinery is wanted. It also is used to bring multiple pieces to the exact same length.

In some cases, it may have ended up being used when it wasn't necessary.

It sure makes my miters look good. My drawers and boxes couldn't be more square.

It has sometimes even been used on boxes that were nailed together.

jtk

James Pallas
12-04-2022, 1:19 PM
My small shooting board isn't used as much as my large board. Mine is used on almost every job where square ends for accurate joinery is wanted. It also is used to bring multiple piece to the exact same length.

In some cases, it may have ended up being used when it wasn't necessary.

It sure makes my miters look good. My drawers and boxes couldn't be more square.

It has sometimes even been used on boxes that were nailed together.

jtk

I don’t think there is anything not necessary about it. If one person finds it useful for a particular task then it is useful. Most of what I know came from someone who found something useful. My whole reason for starting this thread was to gain knowledge. It could be that I need to make more use of my shooting board.
Jim

Rob Luter
12-04-2022, 3:16 PM
I use mine on every project to make sure cut ends are square and smooth, and to assure lengths are dead on. I’ve found that assuring component parts are flat, square, and exactly to the intended size makes for a more predictable project.