PDA

View Full Version : PC 333 ROS question

Wayne Johnson
07-21-2003, 1:57 PM
I just picked one of these up locally and got it home and tried it out. I've never used a ROS before so this is my first experience. Is it supposed to wobble in your hand when you are sanding with it? It seems to do just fine on the sanding, but it wobbles around from side to side in my hand when I'm sanding. There seems to be no wobble when I pull it off of the material. Is this normal, or should I take it back and get another one?

Thanks,
Wayne

Jim Becker
07-21-2003, 2:04 PM
I just picked one of these up locally and got it home and tried it out. I've never used a ROS before so this is my first experience. Is it supposed to wobble in your hand when you are sanding with it? It seems to do just fine on the sanding, but it wobbles around from side to side in my hand when I'm sanding. There seems to be no wobble when I pull it off of the material. Is this normal, or should I take it back and get another one?

That is the "random orbit" part of the "Random Orbital Sander" at work! However, it should not be really pronounced such that it shakes your hand.

Steve Clardy
07-21-2003, 4:01 PM
1 of mine did that after a year or so of use. The lower bearing is dry and not turning. It's a sealed bearing, but you can let oil seep into it overnight. There should be no wobble when sanding. Steve

Carl Eyman
07-21-2003, 4:09 PM
Sometimes mine does that if I'm sanding something uneven. For instance, a lattice where the load on the sander varies depending how many holes you are contacting and how many flat. Reducing the speed takes care of this example. Carl

Ron Jones near Indy
07-21-2003, 4:22 PM
If your abrasive paper is attached way off center you might get a wobble like you describe.

Jason Roehl
07-21-2003, 8:20 PM

Thanks,
Wayne

I've found also, that if you set this sander flat in one spot trying to sand, you're not going to be able to hold it still. Keep it moving. If you want to grind away at a specific spot a little more, tilt the sander slightly so that only about 1/4 of the area is touching (5-10 degrees of tilt). Bear down if you need to, but mostly just let the sander do the job (depends on what you're doing, of course--don't bear down on fine work).