PDA

View Full Version : Cutting phenolic resin insert

STEVE BARRY
11-30-2022, 11:47 PM
Just bought a phenolic dado lockdown insert for my saw stop. I’ll be using it with regular blades reason being the type of work I’m doing. The dado insert is solid all the way around and with the narrow pieces I’m cutting there will be no dip pushing the wood through. The wood sometimes hangs up with the standard insert but if I raise the knife end I think it messes with the angles a bit.

whether I’m right or wrong doesn’t really matter, but I’m wondering, what’s the best way to cut the slot for the riving knife, jig saw or router. If router any special kind of bit. Never worked with this stuff before

Grant Wilkinson
12-01-2022, 7:23 AM
I've cut quite a few phenolic cutting boards that I buy cheaply and use for inserts and slides. Using a 7" 24-tooth circular saw blade seems to work well.

David Stone (CT)
12-01-2022, 7:47 AM
I cut the the riving knife slot in my solid phenolic zero clearance insert with a router bit. There is nothing special required router bit-wise.

STEVE BARRY
12-01-2022, 9:32 AM
I cut the the riving knife slot in my solid phenolic zero clearance insert with a router bit. There is nothing special required router bit-wise.

Thank you Stupid things aren’t cheap, not looking to experiment