PDA

View Full Version : Cutting up and re-gluing car tires

Mark Gibney
11-29-2022, 6:51 PM
I have to cut car tires into pieces and glue them together for an art project.
What blade can I use on a Skilsaw to cut across the threads?
And what should I use to slice off the side walls? - utility knife?

What glue can I use to glue the pieces together? Something that vulcanizes?

Any advice and insights welcome!

thanks, Mark

Maurice Mcmurry
11-29-2022, 6:59 PM
I do not know but am subscribing to this thread to see how you get along.

Steve Demuth
11-29-2022, 7:06 PM
CA glue (super glue) works very nicely on tire rubber. For an art project, it's probably your best bet.

I absolutely would NOT use a Skilsaw to cut tires. It's highly likely to bind and kickback, putting you in serious danger. Your best bet is probably a reciprocating saw (sawsall) with a metal cutting (12TPI or so) blade. Most tires will have steel cords or belts in them, so you need a pretty tough blade. Even with the reciprocating saw, they are tough to cut, mostly because they are difficult to immobilize, and as they move, any blade binds and just adds to the shake and rattle.

Warren Lake
11-29-2022, 7:06 PM
Ginsu knife, and if you order before thursday you get a free patty stacker.

Mel Fulks
11-29-2022, 7:26 PM
I don’t know if they still make non- steel belt tires , but that’s what I would want to use. Then you could cut them with a utility knife.
If you must use steel-belt tires ,I suggest using a jig -saw with a metal cutting blade. Some guys never complete their projects, but I’m
pretty sure you will make at least one of what ever it is! I suggest polyurethane glue-caulk to stick ‘em together. Only insight I can offer is
you seem to be a Gung-Ho guy. Please send pics of finished project.

Myles Moran
11-29-2022, 7:54 PM
I'll join in to also recommend a metal cutting blade with a sawzall or jigsaw. I put some rubber door sweeps on doors in my shop this past weekend, and that's what I used to cut the rubber and aluminum trim. Great results.

Also I'd recommend some heavy gloves because I'm sure the steel in the tires will try to fight back at some point.

Ralph Okonieski
11-29-2022, 9:18 PM
Be careful cutting the sidewalls with a knife. Must be sharp. Utility knife with new blade should work. Go slow, please be careful as the sidewalls are tough.

Zachary Hoyt
11-29-2022, 9:21 PM
To cut the tire bead a thin cutting disk in an angle grinder is the best thing I've found. Much quicker than a sawzall for that part. It's not that good for cutting the rubber, though, and the smell is terrible.

Wes Grass
11-29-2022, 10:15 PM
Speed = smoke. Stinky burnt rubber smoke. I'd go for something slow, like the Sawzall.

Walter Plummer
11-29-2022, 10:20 PM
Years ago I tried to cut a 1/2" rubber mat for a friend with my worm drive Skilsaw. About 4" into the cut the blade was completely warped and binding. That was with the coarsest blade I had.

Bill Dufour
11-29-2022, 11:24 PM
How about an oscillating tool?
Bill D

Maurice Mcmurry
11-30-2022, 5:37 AM
There is a gentleman around that makes tire rubber horses for playground swings and another that makes door mats they both use old bias ply ties. I cut a hole in a tire swing made from a radial with a holes saw to let the rain water out. Now the swing is too dangerous to use.

John K Jordan
11-30-2022, 7:30 AM
Years ago I tried to cut a 1/2" rubber mat for a friend with my worm drive Skilsaw. About 4" into the cut the blade was completely warped and binding. That was with the coarsest blade I had.

I cut hard rubber stall mats (3/4”, made from recycled tires) with a utility knife. First score a line then make successive cuts with the mat bent slightly over a board (the bend provides clearance to keep the blade from hanging up - maybe some lubricant would work instead but I haven’t tried that). The bending method is quick and easy but I can’t imagine this working well with a tire, even those without steel belts. I’ve drilled holes in tires and they are incredibly tough.

I wonder if powered metal shears would work. However, those I’ve seen are made for relatively thin sheet steel and the jaws may not open wide enough for a tire.

I’d look for tires without steel belts. I read somewhere that some trailer tires are still made with nylon fiber instead of steel.

JKJ

Mark Gibney
11-30-2022, 9:23 AM
How about a metal-cutting bandsaw? The blade should cut through the banding, and the slow speed might help against heating up the rubber.

Bill Dufour
11-30-2022, 10:04 AM
Best lubricant for cutting rubber is water.
Bill D

Frank Pratt
11-30-2022, 10:17 AM
How about an oscillating tool?
Bill D

I really don't think you'd be able to immobilize the rubber sufficiently to allow the oscillating tool to do it's thing.

Rich Engelhardt
11-30-2022, 11:07 AM
I have a cordless 12V Makita version of the Versacut that I'd try.

Brian Runau
11-30-2022, 11:43 AM
I would agree with Steve's comment to use a reciprocating saw and a metal blade for the steel in the belts. I would also figure out a way to have the tire or tire part held stationary somehow. Brian

Richard Coers
11-30-2022, 11:51 AM
PLEEEEEASE take videos. I want to see the mayhem, smoke, and smoldering rubber on the ground! Sears sold a counterrotating 2 blade saw for a few years, that would be my first choice for the first video!!!

Steve Demuth
11-30-2022, 1:10 PM
I have cut up a lot of tires with a Sawzall type reciprocating saw and a metal cutting blade. They are tough, but this combination works fine, as long as you have a means to immobilize the tire near the cut. Lubricating with water also helps.

Tom Bender
11-30-2022, 5:41 PM
Whatever you use, wear glasses, gloves and work outdoors. Keep both hands on the tool, not on the tire.

Charlie Jones
11-30-2022, 10:30 PM
I have to cut car tires into pieces and glue them together for an art project.
What blade can I use on a Skilsaw to cut across the threads?
And what should I use to slice off the side walls? - utility knife?

What glue can I use to glue the pieces together? Something that vulcanizes?

Any advice and insights welcome!

thanks, Mark

A utility knife will cut the sidewalls. They don’t have belts. I refer you to the others for that. A lot of radial tires now have nylon belts .

Lon Crosby
11-30-2022, 10:50 PM
Starbond.com keg500 or kbl500? Read the reviews for rubber bonding. Contact them if you have questions. They like artsy.

Randall J Cox
12-01-2022, 12:47 AM
Those steel wires that are inbedded in radials are very dangerous. super strong and will rip you to shreds. Randy

William Hodge
12-01-2022, 8:19 AM
Must see the finished project.

Mark Gibney
12-01-2022, 8:50 AM
Thanks for all your feedback. The latest useful info is that bias ply tires have nylon instead of metal reinforcement, so I'll try to find some of those.

Bill Dufour
12-01-2022, 4:51 PM
Big rig retreads thrown on the side of the road ... some have steel some do not. I only pick up the ones without steel. They still have tough fabric of kevlar/polyester/ whatever. Make great vibration damper pads under my air compressor etc.
Bill D

Ronald Blue
12-01-2022, 7:13 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. The latest useful info is that bias ply tires have nylon instead of metal reinforcement, so I'll try to find some of those.

Farm implement tires are not steel belted. If you are right in the midst of the city that might be tough to find though. In farm country it would be easy. Most if not all lawn mower tires will also be bias ply. That might be easier to find in the city.

Maurice Mcmurry
12-01-2022, 7:19 PM
I am a long way from L.A. but have a large stock of very large AG tires. Free for free! (considerable labor required).

Mark Gibney
12-03-2022, 1:33 AM
Lawn mower tires! Great to know. I'll get hunting.

Earl McLain
12-03-2022, 8:03 AM
I can’t figure out how to download & post a picture, but do a search for Goodyear Cotton Bowl Mascot to see what is possible. Each year they make large mascot replicas for both teams from tires. I’ve seen the Norte Dame one in person, impressive!!
earl

Maurice Mcmurry
12-03-2022, 9:25 AM
I have not been inside Granuband. The piles of tires and rubber are the closest thing we have to a view of the mountains. I think their shredders are a type of shear.
The About Us link shows a little.

About Us (http://www.granubandmacon.com/about/about-us)

Bob Falk
12-03-2022, 10:34 AM
If you don't need the full thickness this guy shows how he removes the tread layer of a tire to make Huaraches (sandals). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG28lYR1DFY

Jay Michaels
12-03-2022, 3:01 PM
One option?

https://www.harborfreight.com/75-amp-5-in-double-cut-saw-63408.html

andrew whicker
12-03-2022, 3:13 PM
Err, maybe stupid thought.. but couldn't you use your throw away blade on a miter saw or a metal cold cut saw (or an abrasive cut off saw)?

No matter what, I would wear a respirator.

Mark Gibney
12-04-2022, 1:15 PM
Good idea, thanks!

Bill Space
12-05-2022, 8:45 AM
In the past I had very good luck cutting 1/2” rubber conveyor belt using a hand held jigsaw with a knife blade in it rather than a toothed blade.

I first tried a fine tooth blade but it was no fun. Knife blade cut very easily. You could probably make your own by grinding the rear edge of an old blade to a knife edge for a test. It’s been a few years and I don’t remember where I bought the blade. I think Home Depot.

Or even grinding the teeth off a fine tooth blade…

Walter Plummer
12-05-2022, 10:10 AM
Bill is right. I forgot about the knife jigsaw blades. Bosch make them. I know Woodcraft has them not sure about Home Depot / Lowes. https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/t-shank-jig-saw-blades-specialty-t313aw3-34167-p/