PDA

View Full Version : Snakewood Pen

John Hart
01-25-2006, 10:40 PM
It's been a while since I've done a pen...but I'm working on my Next IT Contest Example project and had some Snakewood scraps that worked out well for this piece. The wood was given to me by Mike Glazer. It's wonderful stuff to work with. It's richly dark and is well behaved.

This has no finish on it. I used the 7-step fingernail file from the drugstore to do the sanding and buffing. Thanks for lookin' :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2006, 10:54 PM
John that is a pretty awesome looking pen. Great work. I am glad to see the fingernail files are working. I keep mine blown out with air and they work great.

Bill Stevener
01-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Nice looking pen John, however the snake wood is not like one normally sees, this could just be in the photo or maybe the way I am receiving it. It may well be a type of Snake wood that I have not yet seen.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice looking pen John, however the snake wood is not like one normally sees, this could just be in the photo or maybe the way I am receiving it. It may well be a type of Snake wood that I have not yet seen.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

This was a cut from a board that didn't have the characteristic "eyes" that are throughout the rest of the board. It was mostly dark heavy grain. Once I get to the middle of the board, it will look more like what you are accustomed to Bill. And the photo is kinda dark. Maybe I should reshoot.

Corey Hallagan
01-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Great looking pen John. The piece of snakewood I have doesn't look like that either, it has very distinctive grain figure. I like the looks of this piece much better, not as busy. Rich dark color. I like it, what kit is that, Americana Twist?
Corey

John Hart
01-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Great looking pen John. The piece of snakewood I have doesn't look like that either, it has very distinctive grain figure. I like the looks of this piece much better, not as busy. Rich dark color. I like it, what kit is that, Americana Twist?
Corey

Thanks Corey. Thats the American Flat Top...yep, double twist, Titanium Gold version. I like the kit but it has a couple of little "tricks" to it...not hard...just important. You'll like it.:)

Andy Hoyt
01-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I hate snakes; but I like what you did to this one.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 6:30 AM
John,

Great looking pen even if the snake did shed it's skin on ya. I really like the style of the pen and need to order that kit for sure.

Karl Laustrup
01-26-2006, 8:18 AM
Frick, I really like that pen. It's definately a keeper. :)

If only I knew what to do with one. :o ;) :D

Karl

Jason Christenson
01-26-2006, 9:58 AM
Nice........

Keith Burns
01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Great pen John, hope it doesn't crack:eek: . Mine did:(

John Miliunas
01-26-2006, 1:26 PM
John, very classy looking pen! Seeing as to how you didn't use any surface finish on it, I'd be willing to bet that, after a fair amount of use, it would develope a most beautiful patina on it! Nice job, my friend! :) :cool:

Roger Fitzsimonds
01-26-2006, 1:48 PM
John,

That is a great looking pen. I have heard that it is not if but when the snake wood cracks. You might leave the pen like it is unfinished for a while and if it does crack then use ca and sanding dust create a kind of slurry to fill the cracks then finish it. I seems it only cracks once but it will crack. Again great looking pen.

Roger

John Hart
01-26-2006, 4:07 PM
Well hmmm...ain't that somethin'. I brought the pen to work with me today because it was "Bring your new Snakewood pen to work" Day. And as it sat here, little cracks started to form and now it has a crack down the full length of both barrels. This is pretty exciting. So, I guess I get to try Rogers suggestion (thank you).

You know...the more I think about this...I think I have a solution to this problem.

Last night, when I drilled the blanks, I drilled 4 of them. Two of them cracked while inserting the tubes, and two did not. The two that cracked were cold and the two that survived were freshly warm from drilling. Insertion was easier on the warm ones as well. Now, since this wood is remarkably like ebony in its denseness...and ebony cracks easily as well....perhaps this is a temperature problem where there is contraction of the wood as it cools and then cracks when it can't withstand the stress anymore.(next day)

New Experiment: Drill the blanks...Put them in the refrigerator...Drill them again...Let them fully cool...then insert the tubes. If there is any resistance...cool them and redrill again. Repeat until you are sick of the process.

Thanks guys!! :)

John Miliunas
01-26-2006, 6:03 PM
New Experiment: Drill the blanks...Put them in the refrigerator...Drill them again...Let them fully cool...then insert the tubes. If there is any resistance...cool them and redrill again. Repeat until you are sick of the process.

Thanks guys!! :)

....Orrrrr....Drop Dave Anderson a line and find out how he manages to keep it under control!!! :D I've got a wonderful Snakewood marking knife from him, which is still as perfect as the day I bought it from him, probably a couple years ago now! :) You know...As in, "Why re-invent the wheel?..." kind of thing and all. :rolleyes: :cool:

Joe Melton
01-26-2006, 6:10 PM
John, it is common procedure to boil snakewood pen blanks in water for an hour before drilling them. The heat breaks down the cell structure, thus making the wood more elastic. I think that is how it works. You will find frequent mention of the boiling method, if you look.
I've had snakewood that cracked, and some that didn't (hasn't yet?) cracked. I've not tried boiling, but will the next time I use the wood.
Joe

Ernie Nyvall
01-26-2006, 11:22 PM
Smooooooth John. I really like that wood color... it's MANLY.

Ernie