PDA

View Full Version : 14” Bandsaw - Which one

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 10:04 AM
Looking to get a 14” steel bandsaw and right now these are the three I’m looking at:

Jet JWBS-14SFX - $1,399

Rikon 10-326 - $1,439

Laguna 14/12 - $1,599

I've read reviews and watched videos and still can’t decide which is the best bet. All 3 are 1-3/4 hp motor, cast iron wheels, similar weight 260-300lb, cast iron trunions (I think), etc.

Alex Snodgrass seemed to really praise the Jet. Everyone says positive stuff about the laguna and rikon. Is there one thing that makes one really better beyond the price in this case?

(and please don’t say buy a bigger saw. I’ve had a 17” grizzly and 16” minimax in the past but a smaller saw meets my current needs. I’ve watched the used market for months and nothing similar has worked out thus far. I’m specifically looking at these 3 14” models due to their similar price points. As such the grizzly and Harvey 14” are not in my list due to big price differences)

Jim Becker
11-24-2022, 10:25 AM
All nice machines. I'd probably look closely at the guide systems and fences to help with the decision or just pick your favorite color. :) "Available" is also applicable here. ;)

John Kananis
11-24-2022, 10:43 AM
I have the 14bx not the 14/12. That said, I really really love my laguna. The quality of the saw really influenced my decision when I purchased a lathe.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 10:44 AM
All nice machines. I'd probably look closely at the guide systems and fences to help with the decision or just pick your favorite color. :) "Available" is also applicable here. ;)

kinda what I was thinking Jim. Looks like I can get any of the three at one of the woodcraft or rockler stores within 3 hours of here. I’m kinda leaning to the Jet just because of price if I can get one at the Black Friday pricing. But having tinkered with them in the stores on prior trips I sort of felt the laguna was built a little smoother overall. Laguna just isn’t on sale right now like jet and rikon.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 10:46 AM
I have the 14bx not the 14/12. That said, I really really love my laguna. The quality of the saw really influenced my decision when I purchased a lathe.

price aside, I’d get the 14bx with 2.5hp but don’t want to spend the extra $600 if one of the above meets most of my needs. Had been hoping to find a used bx model for price of these new ones but no luck so far.

Jonathan Jung
11-24-2022, 10:50 AM
Not sure of your area, but around here used but decent 14" saws like you're looking at are available every week for $200-700.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 10:55 AM
Not sure of your area, but around here used but decent 14" saws like you're looking at are available every week for $200-700.

not here. I’ve been watching a 500 mile range on used market and nothing other than trashed saws or really worn cast iron saws and they’ve been priced as high as new steel frame. I’m not wanting a cast iron saw though. Anyway the used market hasn’t worked and I’m really not after a large saw so these 3 have been the best return on dollar I’ve seen looking at new.

Tim Best
11-24-2022, 11:06 AM
Hi Greg,

I have the 14/12 and love it. I have had it for 2+ years now with no complaints. It is used on nearly every project. I was considering the same three saws a when I purchased. To me the fit and finish of the Laguna and Rikon saws was better but just marginally (nothing against the Jet.) I know some do not like the ceramic guides on the Laguna but for me it was the deciding factor. It may have been my naivety but I considered fewer moving parts (stationary ceramic guides versus moving bearings) to be a good thing and that pushed me to the Laguna. With the right blade for the operation at hand, it has handled everything that I asked of it.

Jason Evans
11-24-2022, 11:10 AM
I went through this recently. I started with those models but price creeped myself into something different. To keep this comment simple and not ramble on forever about all the other choices for “just a little bit more” - Of those 3 I’d get the 1412.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 11:41 AM
I’ve also just found a used 1.75hp laguna 14bx for $1,600. It has a 3/8” blade but no other accessories. Looks like new.

with tax, prices would be approximately:
New Jet HWBS-14SFX = $1,510 without blade
New Rikon 10-326 = $1,549 without blade
Used Laguna 14BX 1.75 with 3/8 blade = $1,600
new laguna 14/12 = $1,718 without blade

I’m thinking the 14BX is a good choice if I can get it given the foot brake. Does this make sense?

John Pendery
11-24-2022, 12:09 PM
I think that makes sense Greg. I’m a big fan of the foot brake. I have the 14bx, a MM16, and a Tannewitz GH36. The minimax and laguna both have foot brakes. The Tannewitz has a baldor electronic brake. I prefer foot brakes, and wouldn’t want to be without a brake of some sort. Good luck!

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 12:40 PM
I’m waiting to hear back from the seller. It would mean a 5 hour drive each way to go get it tomorrow. It’s thanksgiving so I’m sure they have stuff going on right now like most.

if this doesn’t work out I’ll be back to my original 3 to consider. ��

Justin Rapp
11-24-2022, 1:00 PM
I’ve also just found a used 1.75hp laguna 14bx for $1,600. It has a 3/8” blade but no other accessories. Looks like new.

I’m thinking the 14BX is a good choice if I can get it given the foot brake. Does this make sense?

I have a 14BX 2.5 and love it. The foot brake is a great safety feature and time saver also, not having to wait for the saw to wind down. The quality of the 14/12 is on par with a 14/bx, just a little lighter machine. The Jet and Rikon are also nice, however while I have or had JET tools in the past, for some reason I didn't care much for their bandsaw when I was in the similar market you are in now. Rikon was my 2nd choice but I just went for my first choice. I also go a nice deal as Laguna had one in their outlet stock. My saw was in a trade show and never plugged in. Got it for 20% less than new and at the time wasn't hit up for sales tax since it was shipped from California to NJ.

Two options if you can hold out, unless you grab that used 14BX, and you might get it for less if you make a slightly lower offer (not lowball, maybe offer 1500 or so).

1) Laguna is having a giveaway for a 14BX: https://lagunatools.com/14bx-giveaway/
2) check with Morgan @ Laguna to see if they have one in their marketplace. outlet_sales@lagunatools.com (outlet_sales@lagunatools.com)

But if you go with 1 or 2, you will have to wait and miss out on maybe the used one or a sale on the JET if you decide that model.

John TenEyck
11-24-2022, 1:01 PM
I’m waiting to hear back from the seller. It would mean a 5 hour drive each way to go get it tomorrow. It’s thanksgiving so I’m sure they have stuff going on right now like most.

if this doesn’t work out I’ll be back to my original 3 to consider. 😂

$1600 for a used saw for which you have to drive 5 hours each way makes the new Grizzly G0817 look like a pretty swell deal at $1649 + $239 for freight. About the same total money, and you get a brand-new saw, in stock, delivered to your door. Something to consider.

John

Wes Grass
11-24-2022, 1:19 PM
If I had the space, and money, I'd go for the new Hammer if there are any left. Its been on sale for $1k.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 1:34 PM
$1600 for a used saw for which you have to drive 5 hours each way makes the new Grizzly G0817 look like a pretty swell deal at $1649 + $239 for freight. About the same total money, and you get a brand-new saw, in stock, delivered to your door. Something to consider.

John

I thought about grizzly but once you pay shipping and tax it is about same price as the 14BX 2.5hp new. Trying to avoid the shipping and tax if possible but I hear ya given The drive.

This used one is about $500 to $600 savings over new with tax. I’m trying to not keep inching the scale up another few hundred as that never ends and I’ll have myself buying a bigger saw than I want. Been there on my last shop lol.

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 1:36 PM
If I had the space, and money, I'd go for the new Hammer if there are any left. It’s been on sale for $1k.

i looked but only a 12” saw.

Wes Grass
11-24-2022, 1:42 PM
13-1/4" rip capacity. The Rikon is only 13. 13-5/8 for the Pro, but it's 3k.

Rob Sack
11-24-2022, 1:48 PM
First of all, I am not a spokesman for Laguna. As a matter of fact, on multiple occasions my direct contact with Laguna personnel has been less than pleasant, both at trade shows and at their California facility. I always had the feeling when dealing with the folks at Laguna that I should be grateful that they were willling to sell me their tools. However, when I wanted a new bandsaw, at the recommendation of my tool dealer, I went with the Laguna and I couldn't be happier. It's probably my favorite power tool in the shop. I guess if I ever need any warranty service or just general service, I can deal with my tool dealer and he can deal with those entitled ****s.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, as long as I didn't have to deal with Laguna directly. Go for the Laguna. Of your four choices, I would go with the 14BX, assuming it is in good shape and has been well taken care of.

Roger Feeley
11-24-2022, 2:30 PM
I think that makes sense Greg. I’m a big fan of the foot brake. I have the 14bx, a MM16, and a Tannewitz GH36. The minimax and laguna both have foot brakes. The Tannewitz has a baldor electronic brake. I prefer foot brakes, and wouldn’t want to be without a brake of some sort. Good luck!

+1 on the brake. My saw doesn’t have one and I like to detention the blade. So if the last thing I do before quitting for the day is make a cut with the BS, I have to wait.

Andrew Hughes
11-24-2022, 2:45 PM
I suggest pm 14 pwbs bandsaw.
I had one that worked perfectly and was as smooth running as my 20 inch.
Half the diameter of the wheel is a good rule to follow for resawing. 7 or 8 inches for a 14 inch wheel
Good Luck

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 3:28 PM
I suggest pm 14 pwbs bandsaw.
I had one that worked perfectly and was as smooth running as my 20 inch.
Half the diameter of the wheel is a good rule to follow for resawing. 7 or 8 inches for a 14 inch wheel
Good Luck

do you think that can handle resawing well? Like as well as the newer steel framed saws? I know where I can get a 10 year old copy of the Powermatic that was rebuilt with new tires belts etc. and it has the 6 inch riser kit on it, but it has the 1.5 hp motor looks to be in great shape otherwise and would be cheaper than these newer steel frame options.

John TenEyck
11-24-2022, 3:41 PM
No 14" cast iron bandsaw can put much tension on a 1/2" blade. My Delta can comfortably muster only 12 ksi on a 1/2" blade. It's not because the spring is subpar, it's the frame. The yellow paint one or other clones are no different. Any of the steel frame saws you're looking at should be able to easily put 20 ksi on one. Despite what some folks think or do, tension is the number one factor for a blade to cut straight and efficiently. If you want to use this saw for resawing, you want a steel frame saw.

Pay once, cry once, then enjoy a saw that meets your needs.

John

Brian Tymchak
11-24-2022, 4:00 PM

I would immediately change out any blade that comes on any saw, and thus the with/without blade distinction would not influence my decision. The blade that came on my Rikon 10-325 was junk. Being my first BS, it took me a while to realize that was the issue. I've read several posts over the years with a similar story.

I don't know if the Rikon 10-326 guides are the same as the 10-326 upgrade guides for the 10-325, but I find the lower guides difficult to adjust. It is very cramped around the lower right guide adjustment button as well as the lower guide assembly mounts with just a single bolt. It seems like it should have a second anchor point. Maybe it's a more solid mount in the 326. But overall, I like saw.

Andrew Hughes
11-24-2022, 4:13 PM
do you think that can handle resawing well? Like as well as the newer steel framed saws? I know where I can get a 10 year old copy of the Powermatic that was rebuilt with new tires belts etc. and it has the 6 inch riser kit on it, but it has the 1.5 hp motor looks to be in great shape otherwise and would be cheaper than these newer steel frame options.
I don’t really like riser blocks. But it would mean you get a longer blade and that’s good. Longer blades last longer for a little bit more money.
when I had my pm 14 I would buy Olsen blades from a Rockler store. Olsen has a good variety of blades. At the store I would inspect the welds I like a good weld. Bad one are easy to spot.
Good Luck

Greg Parrish
11-24-2022, 6:43 PM
So, the guy with the used Laguna 14BX backed out and doesn’t want to sell it so I’m back to the drawing board. The used PM 14 doesn’t have a fence which takes away from it’s value proposition compared to the new ones. The above all said, after thinking I was going to be able to get the used 14BX, I’m still wanting something with a brake and I’d like to find something I can pick up tomorrow and not deal with shipping costs or hassle. I’m free tomorrow to make a drive, but not always free to deal with shipping deliveries.

So, I’m going to call around tomorrow to see if any of the stores within 3 hours drive have a 14BX in stock, preferably the 2.5hp version. I’m not sure if the woodcraft/rockler stores sell any other machine with foot brake or motor brake that is in this price range. So, it would mean dropping back to a 14/12 or being forced to deal with shipping. Ugh.

John Kananis
11-24-2022, 6:57 PM
Looking locally for a 2.5hp 14bx is a good move imho.

Justin Rapp
11-25-2022, 8:05 AM
So, the guy with the used Laguna 14BX backed out and doesn’t want to sell it so I’m back to the drawing board. The used PM 14 doesn’t have a fence which takes away from it’s value proposition compared to the new ones. The above all said, after thinking I was going to be able to get the used 14BX, I’m still wanting something with a brake and I’d like to find something I can pick up tomorrow and not deal with shipping costs or hassle. I’m free tomorrow to make a drive, but not always free to deal with shipping deliveries.

So, I’m going to call around tomorrow to see if any of the stores within 3 hours drive have a 14BX in stock, preferably the 2.5hp version. I’m not sure if the woodcraft/rockler stores sell any other machine with foot brake or motor brake that is in this price range. So, it would mean dropping back to a 14/12 or being forced to deal with shipping. Ugh.

If you go for the 14BX you now jumped into a new price range, but I don't think you will regret the safety feature of the foot brake, I use mine all the time to make sure the blade stops. At least for me, it was a required feature when buying a saw. If you have 220v in your shop or the space in your breaker box for a double pole circuit, the 2.5 HP will help if you plan to resaw. If you are just using the saw for flat stock, while extra HP is always good, you would be fine with 1.75. (or just go a little slower).

FYI - blades matter, a lot. Laguna makes very nice blades, so do other manufactures. I've had good luck with timberwolf blades ordered direct from them. Other's will have some other great recommendations also.

Bryan Lisowski
11-25-2022, 9:55 AM
Might want to consider Harvey. I know a guy who has and is extremely happy with it, he was looking at th Rikon and Laguna.

Greg Parrish
11-25-2022, 4:11 PM
Visited Rockler and Woodcraft in Jacksonville, FL. They were super busy for the Black Friday sales. Especially Rockler. I had worried that it would be difficult to find the 14BX 2.5hp in stock but I called Rockler and they had one in stock (floor model) and they held it for me. Didn’t even call Woodcraft but went there after Rockler and turns out they had a floor model and one in the box. Who would have known since their websites both either said to call for stock or not available. Anyway, lots of driving but it was a good day. I’m tired so it may be tomorrow before I get the mobile base assembled and under the saw. Thanks for the feedback on the thread. :)

John Kananis
11-25-2022, 4:24 PM
Congrats on a great saw.

Jim Becker
11-25-2022, 4:29 PM
Congrats, Greg! That's a nice looking machine.

Justin Rapp
11-25-2022, 5:34 PM
Greg,

Good deal - you got your saw, and the 2.5hp so that is a bonus. That resaw king you bought isn't such a great blade, so just mail it to me and i'll make sure it gets properly recycled. <Joke> It's an amazing blade. One recommendation: If you are using the saw to just break down some wood and not resawing, put on a 1/2" or 5/8" blade with a 3-4 tpi (like a Laguna Shearforce 5/8" X 3-4 TPI X 115" (https://www.shop.lagunatools.com/5-8-X-3-4-TPI-X-115_11) or something similar). It's a great all around blade for say, ripping the rough edges off some 4/4 or 6/4 stock.

Since you saw is new, there are two bolts that are usually kept tight for shipping purposes for the upper wheel. When you go to install your blade, you might realize the upper wheel isn't moving when you change the adjustment. Laguna posted instructions on how to adjust these bolts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wVNliX6qgI

If you have any questions let me know, I have the same model and like any tool there is some bit of learning curve to get through to set it up.

Congratulations on your new saw!

Justin

Greg Parrish
11-25-2022, 5:41 PM
Thanks guys.

Excellent video Justin! Thank you. On the blades, I was looking for something like the 1/2” shear force but I didn’t find one on the shelf. Figured the two I grabbed would get me started with something to mount when I got it home and then I could order some more options as needed.

Justin Rapp
11-25-2022, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Excellent video Justin! Thank you. On the blades, I was looking for something like the 1/2” shear force but I didn’t find one on the shelf. Figured the two I grabbed would get me started with something to mount when I got it home and then I could order some more options as needed.

You don't need to stick with Laguna blades either. I have been using timberwolf blades recently and like them a lot, plus they are priced well if you grab them from this site:

https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Greg Parrish
11-26-2022, 11:27 AM
You don't need to stick with Laguna blades either. I have been using timberwolf blades recently and like them a lot, plus they are priced well if you grab them from this site:

https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Thanks, i used those on my prior Grizzly and Minimax saws.

Do you remember if you left the rubber feet on your 14BX when you put it in a mobile base, or did you remove them? I left them on when putting the saw in the Rockler All Terrain base this morning but am wondering if I should have removed them for more stability since I’m not sitting on the floor. Just curious.

Justin Rapp
11-26-2022, 3:39 PM
Thanks, i used those on my prior Grizzly and Minimax saws.

Do you remember if you left the rubber feet on your 14BX when you put it in a mobile base, or did you remove them? I left them on when putting the saw in the Rockler All Terrain base this morning but am wondering if I should have removed them for more stability since I’m not sitting on the floor. Just curious.

Ho
I have Laguna's mobility kit installed on mine, so mine sits on the floor and only lifts onto the wheels when I engage the mobile wheels. So yes, the rubber feet are on my saw. However if I was to install a 3rd party i'd leave the rubber feet on.

John Kananis
11-26-2022, 6:49 PM
I have mine in an HTC base and I left the rubber feet on.

Greg Parrish
11-26-2022, 7:10 PM
Perfect, thanks guys!

Jack Frederick
11-27-2022, 9:02 AM
I sold my Laguna 16 prior to us moving west. I liked that saw a lot. I bought the BX in ‘15 and have been very pleased with it. I went with an aftermarket base too. Laguna is very proud of their accessories so I don’t have those dandy lights they offer or the mobility kit. I’d like to try the Resaw King blade but can’t go the cost. I’ve had good results with Highlands Wood Slicer. Once we move to the new place in Feb I will try to adapt the electrical to handle a work light for the saw. Has anyone done this.

John Kananis
11-27-2022, 9:22 AM
"Adapt the electrical" has me stumped. Are you saying that you'd like to plug a light into the outlet provided on the saw? Its plug and play, no modification necessary.

Greg Parrish
11-27-2022, 10:26 AM
I think he is referring to the outlet being a 220v on the 14BX 2.5hp. Laguna sells both a 110 and a 220 version of the light. Many of the Amazon clones appear to advertise they work on 110 - 240 though.

On the mobile base, I read a lot indicating the factory wheel kit wasn’t as stable with only 3 wheels but given my horse stall mat floor, I wanted to try the Rockler All Terrain base anyway so given a 20% Black Friday coupon, I went with it. If my experience with it is good over the coming few days, I’ll probably order a second one to replace my 3 wheel Jet 8” jointer mobile base. The 3 wheel versions are a pain on my rubber flooring, so I’m hoping these large wheel Rockler bases prove to be good.

Alan Lightstone
11-27-2022, 10:51 AM
... Didn’t even call Woodcraft but went there after Rockler and turns out they had a floor model and one in the box. Who would have known since their websites both either said to call for stock or not available. :)

I've learned that lesson from the Clearwater Woodcraft. Always call. Their website's indication of inventory is very often wrong.

Congrats on the new saw. I had a 14SUV and really liked it, except for the fence. I especially liked the ceramic guides.

John Kananis
11-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Just get a bulb rated 'up to' 240v

Justin Rapp
11-27-2022, 1:15 PM
Just grab a few 'sewing machine' led lights off Amazon for $20 and plug them into a 110v outlet. Even if it works at 220v, not worth even the cost of changing the plug if you have 110v right next to your saw.

Greg Parrish
11-27-2022, 6:57 PM
And, like clockwork, after watching used listings for 4 months and coming up empty, there has been a 10-325 Rikon listed for $500 and a 14BX 2.5hp just now listed for $1200 with resaw king blade and mobile base, both within 3 to 4 hours of me. Ugh. Always my luck…………………………………………..

Andrew Hughes
11-27-2022, 8:42 PM
I have the same thing happen to me. It’s not bad Luck it’s the dark evil that hides in the shadows always trying to make us question our decisions.
I consider it a sign you did right.
Good Luck

Rob Luter
11-28-2022, 6:25 PM
I went with the Rikon a couple years ago and have no complaints. Once I got it all adjusted it runs like a Swiss watch. I’ve used it for a fair bit of resawing in addition to curvy cuts and it does well for both. The utility receptacle is handy for a work light.

Justin Rapp
11-28-2022, 6:33 PM
And, like clockwork, after watching used listings for 4 months and coming up empty, there has been a 10-325 Rikon listed for $500 and a 14BX 2.5hp just now listed for $1200 with resaw king blade and mobile base, both within 3 to 4 hours of me. Ugh. Always my luck…………………………………………..

That is ALWAYS the way it goes.

James Jayko
11-29-2022, 10:34 AM
I had the Grizzly GO514X2 I believe. It was my first bandsaw and I figured go big and go once. It was a constant headache; I wasn't particularly adept at getting it setup, the extruded fence was out of square, and the motor died in my home shop (was replaced for free out of warranty, so good on you Grizzly, but still).

In my frustration I got rid of the Grizzly and got the Laguna 14/12 and a Laguna Resaw King blade. COULD NOT be happier with it. Everything worked great out of the box and took a lot of the difficulty (read: my incompetence) out of the equation. YMMV, but I have to say I cannot be happier with the 14/12.

The public workshop I go to sometimes has the 14 BX or whatever its called; that is also a fantastic saw.