PDA

View Full Version : How is this cutting board made?

Wade Lippman
11-20-2022, 6:31 PM
I see it is made of 5 identical pieces, but I don't understand how those pieces are made. It is probably on the internet somewhere, but I don't find it.

I thoughI posted this a few days ago, but I don't see it.490186490186

John Kananis
11-20-2022, 6:40 PM
Laminate the thin dark piece to a thick light piece, to a thin dark piece. Cut into squares and shift every other piece 90 degrees and glue together. Take the strips and and flip every other one over and then glue up the whole board.

Rich Engelhardt
11-21-2022, 9:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I just saw a video about that.
The guy made a framework then filled in the boxes with the light and dark pieces - that's how he got the outline look.
From what I remembered, he poured liquid epoxy over it - whcih acted as an adhesive and a finish - instead of glueing the individual pieces into the framework.

I check my Youtube history and see if it's there.

I checked and rechecked my Youtube history and can't find it. That probably means it was some kind of linked video from somewhere else.

Roger Feeley
11-21-2022, 3:39 PM
Johm,
I think I see what you are saying but why does the exposed right edge show all dark? It should alternate like the edge on the left. I know that it would be easy to cut off the alternating light/dark and glue on a strip of dark. There’s something there.

I’m also trying to get my head around the ratios.
Using
Lt =light thickness
Lw = light width
Dt = dark thickness

I get this
Lt + (2xDt) = Lw

Am I close?

Myles Moran
11-21-2022, 9:02 PM
Roger,

It looks to me like there is an extra strip of the dark wood to give that edge a solid appearance. If you look closely you can just barely make out glue lines. That's because of the alignment that was chosen when the strips were glued up. Note the straight line of dark wood every other row in the long direction. In order to get that alignment, an extra strip of dark wood is needed.

As far as your math, that checks out to me.

Roger Feeley
11-22-2022, 8:59 AM
I would have left it alternating like the left side.
They say that the daily crossword puzzle wards off dementia. Maybe someone could publish a daily, “how did they do this” woodworking puzzle.

John Kananis
11-22-2022, 9:04 AM
Math is right I think and yes, looks like they glued on an extra strip of dark (should have left it as is imho).

Mike King
11-22-2022, 9:50 AM
Does this help?

Roger Feeley
11-22-2022, 9:52 AM
Does this help?

it does but you can break it down farther. It’s really a bunch of little squares.

Mike King
11-22-2022, 10:18 AM
Yep. Some folk upthread thought that the walnut on the outer length of the board was applied to the glued up assembly. I don't think that's the case and the highlight in that photo edit shows how the assemblies yields the pattern on the outside of the board.

BTW, if folk are interested in amazing 3d end grain cutting boards, this guy's videos on YouTube show how many patterns are made and assembled and you can buy plans...

https://www.youtube.com/@mtmwood

Mike

Myles Moran
11-22-2022, 10:30 AM
Mike, that top square has banding on 3 sides. In order to for a square, the bottom piece would need banding on both sides as well.

Personally I'd adjust the offset to avoid that strip (and to avoid the straight line of walnut through the board), but that's a design choice and would change the appearance of the board from the original.

Edit- I sketched it up in CAD. Sorry for a photo of my monitor instead of a screenshot, work computer. The light pieces are .75x1, the dark pieces are .125x1. You can see the effect of the extra dark strip or not having the extra dark strip.

George Yetka
11-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Did this in reverse over the weekend. 1 of my glue lines doesnt look so good hopefully it works out.

I did as stated above. Laminate the dark to light, glue those pieces together alternating, cut and flip.