PDA

View Full Version : Deco II

Bruce Jones
11-20-2022, 5:56 PM
For those who follow my builds this is my latest "Deco II" This is what I'm calling it for now. This will be my most ambitious carving project to date. After returning the piece to the lathe and undercutting the rim I hand drew my filigree pattern on the rim to be pierced and carved. To protect my work from the oils in my hands while all of the carving process is going on I seal the pencil lines and wood with the end bit of a lacquer rattle can.

Robert Hayward
11-20-2022, 6:51 PM
You hand drew the filigree pattern? To me that is almost as impressive as your workmanship on this and other projects.

Frederick Skelly
11-20-2022, 7:31 PM
Can't wait to see the development of this one!

Bruce Jones
11-21-2022, 12:45 AM
Thank you Robert and Fred, Yes I hand drew the fillgree with a reference and made some changes so not to copy exactly, and I'll be adding a few other things to this rim.

Eugene Dixon
11-21-2022, 11:05 AM
Very impressive to my unskilled mind/hand.

Bruce Jones
11-21-2022, 9:56 PM
Very impressive to my unskilled mind/hand.Thank you I started the carving on the rim today; I'll post an update in a few days.

Bruce Jones
11-24-2022, 12:00 PM
The carving on Deco II continues on to the second section of the rim.

John K Jordan
11-24-2022, 12:19 PM
The carving on Deco II continues on to the second section of the rim.

Very nice! Inspiring.

Again, I love the WIP photos, especially that you show the detail in how you lay things out before carving.

Walter Mooney
11-24-2022, 1:14 PM
I too love the way you take these fabulous works through, step by step!

Bruce Jones
11-25-2022, 9:07 AM
I too love the way you take these fabulous works through, step by step!Thank you Walter, I'm glad you like following along with the build.

Bruce Jones
11-28-2022, 12:18 AM
Deco II Section 3Moving into the third section of the rim carving, things seem to be moving along reasonably quick and smooth.

Frederick Skelly
11-28-2022, 6:30 AM
Beautiful work Bruce! Thanks for letting us follow along.

Bruce Jones
11-28-2022, 11:25 AM
Beautiful work Bruce! Thanks for letting us follow along.Thank you Fred, I'm glad your still along for the ride.

John Kananis
11-29-2022, 9:36 AM
Bruce, exemplary work, as always. I'm curious... I see the drilled starter holes in the pattern, are you cutting away the waste with a fret/coping saw or some other method? I couldn't possibly imagine managing that on a scroll saw, unless there's some really clever jig I'm unaware of.

Bruce Jones
11-29-2022, 11:05 AM
Bruce, exemplary work, as always. I'm curious... I see the drilled starter holes in the pattern, are you cutting away the waste with a fret/coping saw or some other method? I couldn't possibly imagine managing that on a scroll saw, unless there's some really clever jig I'm unaware of, Thank you John, Yes I drill holes and use the knife in the photo to remove the large sections. The Flexcut Detailing knife in the photo does 90% of the work, the rest of the details are cut in with micro gouges and palm gouges and I use a Dremel with micro burs to do the really fine lines & details.

John Kananis
11-29-2022, 11:07 AM
Wonderful, thank you. What species is the rim?

Bruce Jones
11-29-2022, 4:00 PM
Wonderful, thank you. What species is the rim? I made that from (16) pc. Segmented compound angle stave style Curly Maple.

Bruce Jones
11-30-2022, 12:23 AM
Deco II Section 4
Almost half way with the rim carving. I rough out the 4th layout and have the others in various stages so you can see the progression of the work. I have also been asked about the tools I use, the ones in the photos are the most used hand tools. The knife is used for 90% of the cutting and large details. The other gouges and a Dremel do the very fine detail work.

Bruce Jones
12-01-2022, 1:26 AM
Okay everyone I stuck with it all day and finished the 4th section. last look at this side I cover this type of carving with several layers of tape starting with frog tape (painters tape) there is less glue. This does two things helps protect from oils from my hands and after cutting away as much as I have the rim has become fragile. This makes carving the second half a challenge. I show the base in the photos so you will see the changes I'll be making there.

Bruce Jones
12-02-2022, 12:13 AM
Deco II second Half
The day was spent roughing out the outer portion of the rim, cutting to the pencil lines only. This was done to keep the rim solid while I hand carve the outer sections. After cutting as much detail as I can into the outer portion I will slowly remove the inner sections so not to make the piece snap. There are only small points where the rim contacts the main bowl and outer ring.

Bruce Jones
12-07-2022, 6:51 PM
Deco II
Almost there I've just two sections to detail carve on the rim. I have added some new details to the base section.

Jim Morgan
12-07-2022, 10:53 PM
Bruce,

Impeccable craftsmanship as always. But can you explain the name? Your piece is hardly Art Deco - did you have some other reference in mind?

Bruce Jones
12-08-2022, 12:04 AM
Bruce,

Impeccable craftsmanship as always. But can you explain the name? Your piece is hardly Art Deco - did you have some other reference in mind?Thank you James, this is not the name of this piece just one I was using while carving and making, I kept it the same after the last piece I posted DECO. This piece has more of an art nouveau influencé with my modern twist added. this is the piece I posted here a few weeks ago, it did not get much response on this site https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?300381-quot-art-deco-quot

Bruce Jones
12-11-2022, 1:26 PM
Everyone I've posted the final photos of the real name of this piece look here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?301017-Baroque

John K Jordan
12-11-2022, 3:55 PM
Everyone I've posted the final photos of the real name of this piece look here. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?301017-Baroque

Thanks!

Hey, have you considered creating a photo album here on SMC, a central place where everyone interested could easily find pictures of this and past work? I think you can have up to 24 photos per page but you can have more than one page per album (and more than one album). Each photo can have a description and people can post comments there. I think it’s a great way to show work.

For those not familiar with them jusk click on a person’s name on a message (or look up their name under Community/Member list) an if they have an album it will be accessible in the side bar at the left of the screen. (I don’t know if albums are available in the “Mobile” mode.)

JKJ

Russell Nugent
12-12-2022, 12:47 AM
Albums are accessible through the mobile version

Bruce Jones
12-12-2022, 1:54 PM
Thanks!

Hey, have you considered creating a photo album here on SMC, a central place where everyone interested could easily find pictures of this and past work? I think you can have up to 24 photos per page but you can have more than one page per album (and more than one album). Each photo can have a description and people can post comments there. I think it’s a great way to show work.

For those not familiar with them jusk click on a person’s name on a message (or look up their name under Community/Member list) an if they have an album it will be accessible in the side bar at the left of the screen. (I don’t know if albums are available in the “Mobile” mode.)

JKJ Thank you John do you have a link or can you tell me where to find this album section. I have never noticed anything like this here on SMC.

John K Jordan
12-12-2022, 3:05 PM
Thank you John do you have a link or can you tell me where to find this album section. I have never noticed anything like this here on SMC.

It's been a long time since I set up my first album but I think I went to my profile and found a "create album" button or something. Under the Community/Albums menu item I see a Create New Album but I don't know if that is only there because I already have albums. You might try those and/or I could ask someone smarter than me!

If you want to look at an existing album, you are welcome to look at mine. I have three pages of woodturning pictures starting at: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=862

If you want to see how the upper level is organized I have a few miscellaneous albums here: https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?u=32367

One hidden advantage to using albums here: if I want to display a photo or two full size in a messages instead of a thumbnail (and without first uploading it on a hosting web site), I simply click on the photo, select and copy the BB Code, and paste it into a message. Like this, for example:

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=342459&d=1471445201

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=367169&d=1504445984

JKJ

Bruce Jones
12-15-2022, 3:34 PM
Thank you John, I never seem to have luck with posting in galleries but I'll look into it.