PDA

View Full Version : General 26020 spindle removal - Solved

Mike Helt
11-18-2022, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.. If not please move it and let me know.
I've been having a heck of a time removing the spindle from my General 26020 http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=920
Proceeding from the left I removed the handwheel, the outboard bearing retainer and the spindle nut. Next I removed the inboard bearing retainer.
Next the instructions (p. 5 of manual) say to use a block of wood and a hammer to drive the spindle toward the inboard side. Only drive the spindle until there is about 1/8" play between spacer and spindle pulley. I never achieved a gap. The entire unit moved pushing the inboard bearing to the right.
It then says to use a block of wood to carefully drive the spindle pulley toward the outboard side to push out the bearing.
Alternate steps 5 & 6 (i.e. drive spindle toward inboard side then drive spindle pulley to outboard side) until the half moon woodruff key has been exposed between the spindle pulley and the spacer.
My problem is that I haven't been able to get the pulley to budge.
The spacers are sleeves which fit over the spindle. The outboard spacer does not have a woodruff key and I am able to rotate the spacer over the spindle using channel locks. When I hit the outboard end of the spindle, the outboard bearing is pushed in and the inboard bearing also moves with the spindle. When I hammer the block of wood against the pulley there is zero movement of the pulley, spacer, or bearing along the spindle. It moves as a single unit. Either the inner race of the bearing is hanging on or the pulley and woodruff key are as one with the spindle.
I have soaked it with PB Blaster for 2 weeks. It's a cast pulley and a cast head and I don't want to use too much force.
Am I misreading the instructions? Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Helt
11-19-2022, 2:34 PM
Problem solved. Heat, then cooling, then persistence. Repeat.