PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Hardy

Bruce Hardy
01-25-2006, 5:22 PM
Kinda' new to SMC, but do enjoy the posts and replies. Maybe someone can give me some sage advice regarding a Ridgid 12 inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I recently moved and am in the process of setting up my new home workshop. While the Ridgid saw seems priced right, I'd appreciate any comments - pro and, especially, con. I do a lot of picture frames for my artist wife as well as some limited furniture projects. Would also appreciate any suggestions.

Michael Ballent
01-25-2006, 5:36 PM
First, let me welcome to SMC :D

Can't comment on that saw since I do not own it... What ever saw that you end up with you will probably want to replace the stock blade that comes with saw since they are usually geared for the construction trades. Examine your need for the sliding part... Are you really going to need that capacity? The fewer moving parts the fewer things that can get out of alignment. :D

tod evans
01-25-2006, 5:49 PM
bruce, welcome! i would suggest buying tools from a tool store, a local one that services what they sell, where you can speak to somebody who might actually have used the type of tool you`re looking to purchase. ask the service department which ones are reliable...if you don`t know where the local store is stop at any cabinet shop or construction sight they should be able to point you in the right direction. i will never buy a tool at home desperate......02 tod

Joe Chritz
01-25-2006, 5:57 PM
I use a Dewalt 12 inch slider for picture frames and it does an excellent job. As Tod mention plan on purchasing a good blade for it. Im using a Freud 80 tooth (not the diablo series) and it does well on frames.

If the Ridgid does as good as the Dewalt it will serve you well and it looks like a quality unit. Also as was mentioned already, look at the need for a slider. If you do frames a lot (maybe over 100 a year as an arbitrary number) look at setting up two non sliding saws.

I would love to see some of the paintings framed. Someone like me is amazed at the talent of some artists. What do you expect when I can't even draw a stick man. :(

Joe

Steve Clardy
01-25-2006, 7:00 PM
Welcome Bruce!!
Know nothing about that saw.

Mark Rios
01-25-2006, 7:46 PM
DO...NOT...BUY...THAT...SAW...it's the junkiest piece of junk that ever looked like junk on a junk shelf!!!@

I'm just kidding. I really don't know anything about the saw. I was reading the replies and I remembered a line from a TV show and had to use it.

Welcome Bruce!!! I've got a review of some miter saws if you'd like to look at one. Send me a PM with your email and I can get it to you.