PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Experts

Warren Lake
11-17-2022, 1:02 PM
Last year I gave my 91 year old Neighbour my Maytag Dryer. It was to replace her 59 year old GE though I kind of wish I repaired that. Instal was complicated as her machine was hard wired and exhaust went into the floor. My maytag could not be cut same place in the bottom so had to fill in her floor and cut a new hole, once into her floor found joists some 6 inches apart. Argh, the marathon got done and she was happy and its still working flawless. i told her the repair has a 10 year warranty.

So now my Maytag Dryer, old stuff from my parents started making some noise. I took it apart and all is well, front glides are good. Ill order new anyway, felts are good, Rubber back wheels are good, motor is good. Cant find the source of the noise did just get louder and sounded like some scraping metal to metal then can find nothing. Dryer friend said send a video, I did and he felt something was rubbing and too loud as well.

Model is DE 208 Ser 169289 ZU.

If I read the charts correct that puts it as Sep 1977 build date If anyone knows about reading the dates can you confirm that?, my appliance dryer friend didnt know or care. Ill order new glides and clean it really well as likely its never been done.

Any other sources of noise you can think of. I dont get it all looks good.

thanks

Jim Koepke
11-17-2022, 1:08 PM
My dryer makes a similar noise when the bushing at the back of the drum gets worn. Did you take the drum out?

Is there a support at the back of the drum?

I will try to find one of the old ones and take a picture later today.

jtk

Mel Fulks
11-17-2022, 1:31 PM
Years ago there was a fad of college students ,and even the uneducated ! getting in clothes dryers to see how many spins they could take.
Signal for “I’m done,warm ,and fluffy “ was to yell …or to vomit on the glass door . Most likely your drier was used for that purpose and
some change or medicinal pills fell out of pockets.

Warren Lake
11-17-2022, 1:39 PM
Both rear rubber wheels are good, that is what is odd all is good. Drum out etc. Im surprised at the size of the drum its huge in this machine compared to the one I gave my neighbor.

Mel I used to dry my sheep dog in there. She did walk in circles for a while though.

I ordered the glides and will try that. Came apart nicely for such an old beast. Ill still be Colombo and see if I can find something that could make noise once its all clean.

Jerry Bruette
11-17-2022, 1:43 PM
Check the squirrel cage fan. I had a dryer that had a cracked hub on the squirrel cage. Temp fix was a hose clamp, but then it was crazy out of balance.

John M Wilson
11-17-2022, 1:50 PM
Check the squirrel cage fan.

I also had a Maytag where the squirrel cage fan went bad. The internal flat that kept it from spinning on the shaft somehow wore out, and the result was an odd thumping sound that was difficult to pinpoint.

The good news was that it was a fairly cheap part, and a couple of Youtube videos made the repair a fairly easy one.

Warren Lake
11-17-2022, 2:04 PM
okay that is good, I did spin it last night and it seemed fine, there was a sort of thump id say with each rotation and a sort of metal on metal sound not severe but it was just louder than it should be. I did spin that squirrel cage will give it a better look. I know a few weeks ago I put a fair bit in there but no where near overloaded. Learned past not to do that even for the reason that things will dry better. Thanks for one more thing to go over. I even wondered if the belt on the belt tensioner might be rubbing on the bracket there but don't think so but will put good glasses on and light and look for wear if I can find any.

Pulled the belt out to better lighting and can see its failing., starting to seperate one area bit missing that will explain the thump. Be nice if it was as simple as this fan is fine cant fine anything else.

See there are Amazon kits for all that wears. Not sure who makes the stuff, this place is OEM parts and a choice for lesser price if wanted as well. Happy to find something failing after taking it apart.

Bruce Wrenn
11-17-2022, 4:01 PM
If it's a thump, then rear support wheels could have a flat spot. Don't forget that some oil or high temperature grease goes a long way on their shafts. Bad spot on belt would cause a thump each time it passes over tension pulley, or drive pulley. Tensioner pulley often need some lubrication, or could have a flat spot where belt rubbed without pulley turning. Some of the newer Whirlpool products use a nylon shoe for belt to rub against. While you have it apart, stand motor up on end, and place a couple drops of oil on shaft where it enters motor. Next day repeat for other of motor. New belt, tension pulley, support wheels and a lube job should be good for the rest of your life. Then let someone else worry about it. Don't forget that the dryer is 44 years old. Other than yourself and wife, what in your house has lasted that long?

Jim Koepke
11-17-2022, 4:08 PM
I did spin it last night and it seemed fine, there was a sort of thump id say with each rotation and a sort of metal on metal sound not severe but it was just louder than it should be.

The metal on metal sound will be different when the machine is running.

Have you ever used a wooden dowel to locate the source of sound?

Place one end to your ear and the other against a stationary suspect. I've used this many times to find the source of noise from an automobile engine.

jtk

Warren Lake
11-17-2022, 5:53 PM
good thoughts there will check for a flat spot but the wheels seem good.

Parts were ordered and asked if they have a kit and no not for that machine. Ive found no metal on metal anywhere. The lst one for the neighbrour had less metal noise but inside was so severe that it cut through the bracket that holds the gliders plus another area cut into amounting bracket from something else. There was no heavy metal noise in that one, maybe a bit of something that I thought was metal on metal, minimal.

Hard to locate the noise and not tried the wood dowel thing. Ill suggest next time I get a check up, more suitable for a wood guy than a stethoscope. Ill have to see it may be that I can put it back together with the bulk head and leave the front off, then bypass the door safety switch and run it so its sort of open, even tilt the top back. Sure would make it easier to try and locate sound. how long can a wood dowel be to work?

will do the clean and lube to as much as I can. Enough on it for today. Tomorrow some more te clean and lube parts may or may or may not show up tomorrow. Ill still look over it more for any wear.

Its pretty weird system I would hive though front would also have rubber wheels for the drum to turn on and not metal sliding on plastic. Soon as there is weight in there its not ideal to have friction of some sort.

Jim Koepke
11-17-2022, 6:30 PM
how long can a wood dowel be to work?

I've used up to four foot dowels because that is the longest they usually can be found.

Drill a hole half way through a small piece of scrap to put against you ear.

Be careful, playing with one of these to listen to local noises can be addictive.

jtk

Warren Lake
11-19-2022, 11:08 PM
Jim I found a dowel is this okay ?

whats the idea with the scrap and hole im not following that.

Parts arrived, sad to see how much thinner then new glides are than what is on it. Shrinkflation. My washer dryer friend said to keep searching for something rubbing and will.

Tim Elett
11-20-2022, 6:24 AM
I remember when I replaced the belt on a cheap dryer, my girlfriend was amazed, I think the belt was less than 20.00 bucks.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2022, 10:40 AM
Warren, I tried to explain a technique mechanics and other technicians use to locate the source of a noise. A dowel or a long screwdriver will transmit sound from a point of contact to the other end of the dowel or screwdriver. A person is then able to move to different points for possible origins of an unwanted sound.

If how this works and the reason for a piece of scrap on the end is unclear to you, it may be better for you to try other methods of locating the origin of your sound.

This is one reason I do not like offering people advice from my years of experience. You could end up injuring yourself and I wouldn't want to suffer the guilt associated with such a mishap.

You may have made it clear to me why it might be better to avoid helping others with repairs over the internet.

jtk

Warren Lake
11-20-2022, 12:46 PM
Jim I was joking with you on that dowel. Not sure where you are going with that rant. I run machines with no guards and fair bit of old tooling. Im around more unsafe stuff that most people here.

Now I get the block of wood thing at the end but not the hole.

I had emailed washer guy asking if it was possible the belt could have led to so much noise so will continue to check for scraped areas, clean lube and reassemble. Its so easy to take apart it can happen again if there are any issues. Parts are here just need the time.

Jim Koepke
11-20-2022, 4:05 PM
I find it surprising you work around machines and do not know about using a solid object to bring sound from one point to your ear as a diagnostic technique.

I felt my response was rather restrained. My posting a heartfelt rant might end up with me being a former member of this or any other forum.

I think it was someone with an electrical problem to cause me to decide against giving advice on electrical problems. It seemed the person may have been headed towards an electrocution of their self.

Now I get the block of wood thing at the end but not the hole.

The hole is a mortise to hold the dowel, possibly the quickest way to attach a piece to a dowel. It creates a platform for the ear and a wider area for the sound to resonate. Kind of like the top of a screwdriver handle on which to rest one 's ear. Placing the dowel directly in one's ear can be uncomfortable.

jtk

Warren Lake
11-20-2022, 4:46 PM
I know about it at least the screw driver. Yes ive been around all kinds of machines, its never been needed, ill hand spin a shaper and tell you how the bearings are. Or listen to wind down last five seconds. Never needed it on car stuff just stick my head in the area to hear a lifter.

Never done it and this is an assembled machine with no access while running. Even apart the bulk head is still there from the front or if from above if hot wired the drum is still in the way the for any access for below or to either side so while a good suggestion on car it doesnt suit this, more so on the past one I rebuilt, the drum is huge in this machine. Old school stuff and why I like it.

Im around top people in many trades. Pick your trade people working on cars, then ill know restoration people and cars in the millions for Pebble Beach or whatever. The German tool and Die maker knew was the best. The one old guy in this trade one the top in this country. Highly respected. Im super lucky for so many people ive met and have friendships with over the years.

My friend that is a washer and dryer guy for over 40 years said to keep looking for a scrape area. Ive found non.

I get it about advice especially reading this forum id never suggest doing some of what I do. Ive done my rants about people and manufacturers who sell machines based on having a visa and no teaching. People learning what happens after its happened. It should be allowed but it is. Sawstop capitalized on the lack of logic selling people saws yet if you have a gun or a car you need license. At least someone has taught you how you will crash and burn with those.

All good thanks for explaining the hole thing. IM bent on the clean and service when time and assemble and run it. Actually once really clean maybe ill find a scrape area. The one I did for the neighbour was so simple bracket cut through then one more area. On that one the drum had been running on metal for some amount of time. If I could have posted a video I would have. At some point ill have to learn more about all that.

soooo thanks for your thoughts. im sure my humour isnt always on track. Thats not even including the ones that vaporized.

Bill George
11-20-2022, 5:36 PM
I find it surprising you work around machines and do not know about using a solid object to bring sound from one point to your ear as a diagnostic technique.

I felt my response was rather restrained. My posting a heartfelt rant might end up with me being a former member of this or any other forum.

I think it was someone with an electrical problem to cause me to decide against giving advice on electrical problems. It seemed the person may have been headed towards an electrocution of their self.

The hole is a mortise to hold the dowel, possibly the quickest way to attach a piece to a dowel. It creates a platform for the ear and a wider area for the sound to resonate. Kind of like the top of a screwdriver handle on which to rest one 's ear. Placing the dowel directly in one's ear can be uncomfortable.

jtk

I purchased a mechanics stethoscope many, many years ago. They are not expensive. Still use once in a while. This is NOT the one I have but like >
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-63691.html