PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a broken off screw

Brian Runau
11-17-2022, 10:11 AM
I was installing bed hardware on the side rails of the bed. Mark each hole a little predrill etc... One of this #6 x 3/4 screws broke in two piece well below the top of the hole. I can't move the hardware, only thing I can think to do is use a plug cutter to remove the screw, glue in a dowel, and then go forward. Open to other ideas. thanks Brian

Jamie Buxton
11-17-2022, 10:33 AM
Screw extractor. It is like a 1/4"-diameter tube with saw teeth at the ends. You drill it into the wood surrounding the broken screw, remove it, and plug. For instance https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=screw+remover&button=search

Lee Schierer
11-17-2022, 10:54 AM
Ouch that hurts. When putting wood screws into hardwood I always drag the threads across a lump of bees wax and work it into the threads a bit with my fingers. The wax will lubricate the screw without discoloring the wood, significantly reducing the chance of breakage.

The other thing I have done, is switch to Spax screws they are a lot stronger than the zinc plated screws in little bags hanging on the rack at most big box stores.

glenn bradley
11-17-2022, 10:55 AM
Agree. A screw extractor is basically a plug cutter (https://www.rockler.com/screw-extractor?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NebBhDDARIsAANiDD1mcqcGyCp0oqqbCtfE BIZ4QYedHVjA0J2ee18XEF52esJeV340Gg0aAu2tEALw_wcB)w ith the inner diameter a lot closer to your screw size. I have also used a piece of metal tubing with teeth filed into one end. You generally run the drill CCW to cut the removal hole.

Bill Dufour
11-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Make your own screw extractor from a roll pin. Just grind one tooth at the seam and relive all the rest at that end so the tooth is proud of the end. Just buy one that the body of the screw slips into for sizing.
Bill D

Edward Weber
11-17-2022, 11:20 AM
I prefer to use a cross-grain plug for repairs and holding power over an end-grain dowel. You may need a set of plug cutters, one for the screw removal and one for the plug.

Steve Demuth
11-17-2022, 11:32 AM
I prefer to use a cross-grain plug for repairs and holding power over an end-grain dowel. You may need a set of plug cutters, one for the screw removal and one for the plug.

I think cross grain is better if you drill our a fairly large plug. But for screws, I prefer to use as narrow a plug as possible (make your own, as some other posters have suggested), and then fill with epoxy mixed with wood fiber.

Cameron Wood
11-17-2022, 10:19 PM
Some other possibilities:

- leave it. For a bed rail, there must be multiple of those small screws. Glue the head on for appearance if desired.
- drill through & next to the broken one and work another screw in, probably at a slight angle.
- drill a new hole in the hardware for a new screw location.
- drill out the broken end and replace with a larger or longer screw.

Thomas McCurnin
11-18-2022, 12:44 AM
For hardwood, I use a starter screw made out of steel, and yes beeswax it, then install the real screw. This is especially important for brass screws. But I've had No. 4 and 6 screws snap off. They are prone to over heating, so I often screw them in part way and come back in a few minutes.

Brian Runau
11-18-2022, 2:52 PM
I decided to move the side rail brackets up 1/4". Got some spax #6x 3/4 screws and reinstalled the brackets. Never again on the cheap Hillman brand screws. Brian

Roger Feeley
11-18-2022, 3:00 PM
Note that if you use the tubular screw extractor, it cuts in a counter clockwise direction. I have a set of them and have only needed one a few times. But I sure was glad.

Brian Runau
11-18-2022, 4:48 PM
For hardwood, I use a starter screw made out of steel, and yes beeswax it, then install the real screw. This is especially important for brass screws. But I've had No. 4 and 6 screws snap off. They are prone to over heating, so I often screw them in part way and come back in a few minutes.

Tom, help me understand. Steel screw vs what is sold is Lowes/Home Depot?

Andrew More
11-18-2022, 4:49 PM
Also helpful: left handed drill bits.

They turn counter clockwise, instead of clockwise. You use them to drill the initial hole, and sometimes they're enough all by themselves. If that fails, then you put the screw extractor into the hole you created with the bit. Best place to find these tools is usually an autoparts store, if you're in a pinch.

Cameron Wood
11-18-2022, 10:35 PM
I think there is a tendency to make too small of pilot holes, believing that a tight fit is stronger/better.

IME, having the screw threads cut into the sides of the hole without crushing or bending the surrounding wood fibers is stronger, as well as easier to drive and less likely to break a screw.

Curt Harms
11-19-2022, 10:59 AM
I think there is a tendency to make too small of pilot holes, believing that a tight fit is stronger/better.

IME, having the screw threads cut into the sides of the hole without crushing or bending the surrounding wood fibers is stronger, as well as easier to drive and less likely to break a screw.

I think that's true. AFAIK the pilot hole size should be the same as the 'center' of the screw, the solid core inside the threads. I know I had a tendency to drill undersized holes until I read about how screws actually hold.

Thomas McCurnin
11-21-2022, 3:04 AM
Brian

Yeah, anything sold at Home Depot or Lowes will work for a starter screw. I use them even when the finished screw is also steel. Ideally, the two screws are nearly identical with the same thread size and slope. My problems increase when the screws are Nos. 4 or 6 and I use a driver drill to install them, as they really heat up, get weak, and snap. That's why I use a starter screw sink it, back it out, and use another one for the finished screw.

George Yetka
11-21-2022, 7:18 AM
How many screws hold this piece? Can you upgrade the other to a #10x say 2" and let the other screws carry? 6x3/4 is a small screw