PDA

View Full Version : Girzzly tale of Woe

Rich Torino
01-25-2006, 4:30 PM
In December of I ordered an a couple new Griz tools.. A G0555 and a G9586. When I ordered them the 0555 was in stock and the 5086 on back order for 4-6 weeks. No problem, I could live with that. The band saw and some misc suff arrived to the door in about 10 day. The fellow from the trucking service helped me unload and wheeled it into the shop with his dolly. Now I figure all I have to do is wait for the jointer...
Well I got a post card in the mail the other day from Grizzly saying that at that time they had no delivery date on the G0586 and that if I wanted to cancel let them know otherwise do nothing....

I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel the order and start to look at different models... I really like Grizzly product and already own a1023Z.
Has anyone else recieved a "dear john" from them lately????

Rich

Frank Pellow
01-25-2006, 5:14 PM
Please forgive me for saying so, but that does not sound like a "tale of woe" to me; rather it sounds like something that can happen with any distributor.

Michael Ballent
01-25-2006, 5:26 PM
I would say it would depend on how badly you need it... At least they were nice enough to let you know that they are having a problem. They could have just let you hanging and waiting the 4-6 weeks...

Ed Breen
01-25-2006, 6:03 PM
I see it as good business. Nothing worse than not being notified of a backorder. Twer me i'd stay with my original order.
Ed:cool:

Shiraz Balolia
01-25-2006, 6:03 PM
In December of I ordered an a couple new Griz tools.. A G0555 and a G9586. When I ordered them the 0555 was in stock and the 5086 on back order for 4-6 weeks. No problem, I could live with that. The band saw and some misc suff arrived to the door in about 10 day. The fellow from the trucking service helped me unload and wheeled it into the shop with his dolly. Now I figure all I have to do is wait for the jointer...
Well I got a post card in the mail the other day from Grizzly saying that at that time they had no delivery date on the G0586 and that if I wanted to cancel let them know otherwise do nothing....

I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel the order and start to look at different models... I really like Grizzly product and already own a1023Z.
Has anyone else recieved a "dear john" from them lately????

Rich

Hi Rich,
I just checked the status of these jointers. They are coming in at our different warehouses across the country and yours is scheduled to be shipped on/around February 15 (about 3 weeks from now). That shipment is sold out, but we are are shipping them by date order was placed and you are on the list.
We are required by law to send out those notices and we try to err on the later dates to avoid problems.
Thank you for the business.

Michael Ballent
01-25-2006, 6:43 PM
Hi Rich,
I just checked the status of these jointers. They are coming in at our different warehouses across the country and yours is scheduled to be shipped on/around February 15 (about 3 weeks from now). That shipment is sold out, but we are are shipping them by date order was placed and you are on the list.
We are required by law to send out those notices and we try to err on the later dates to avoid problems.

Well there is nothing like getting info from the top of the Griz food chain :) Now on to scraping up a few dollars for one of the Griz mini mills and I can join all the rest of the Griz fanatics on the site :) (Dev and Bruce Page, you have really got me thinking of machining uhg not another tool addiction :eek: :p)

Rich Torino
01-25-2006, 6:56 PM
Thanks Shiraz,
I appreicate the heads up on the delivery date........

I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post..I have no problem with Grizzly at all, never did .... my point was if the delivery time was unknown do I look at another Grizzly model and what I was looking for was your opnions on what model would be a good close in price Grizzly replacement... sorry for the confusion..

Chris Dodge
01-25-2006, 7:28 PM
Rich, wait for the G0586. I bought one in December and absolutely love it! The cuts are crisp and clean.The wait will be worth it!

Mark Rios
01-25-2006, 7:35 PM
Mr. Balolia says that your shipment is in the works but you could always go with the G0490. It's actually only $45 more delivered (The saw costs more but it's cheaper shipping but I still can't figure out why). It's a pretty nice DJ-20 clone from what I hear. You get the longer bed and the parallelogram feature.....oooooooohhhhhhhh nice. Only $45 more.

Tom Pritchard
01-25-2006, 7:44 PM
Rich, I would recommend hanging in and waiting for the jointer. I got one of those cards and cancelled my order with Griz, and haven't gotten the money together since then to reorder. Since you now have a date from Shiraz, you can spend the time finding a bunch of rough saw lumber to use on it when it comes in!:D

scott spencer
01-25-2006, 8:47 PM
Regardless of which way you go....don't ya just love having Papa Griz on your team?! :) Can't get that from Sears! (or Jet, or PM, or Delta, or Ryobi, or Ridgid.....)

Rich Torino
01-26-2006, 9:41 AM
I'm gonna wait for the 5086...Feb 15'ish is just fine with me...
As I mentioned this is not my first Grizzly purchase and I am extremely satisfied with all the Grizz products I own from the 1023z table saw to the router bits I've purchased and Scott your right about having the "boss man" in our team...
Rich

Tim Marks
01-26-2006, 9:45 AM
besides which, chances are that if you switch your order to the G0490, it will DEFINITELY be on backorder, since it is a brand new machine at a promotioal price. You want to wait until April for your jointer?

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2006, 9:54 AM
I believe the shipping charge differences are because the G0490 is a short-term intro offer. I suspect in the months after it is released you will see the shipping charges bump up to the G0586. Shipping on it was lower last year, and gas ain't getting any cheaper since the oil companies want to continue with record profits. Grizzly is just doing what others have done and pasing alone the expenses to the consumer.

Since I can not see these in person yet, I would really like to know some specific measurements. How big is the base on the G0490 and how far does the outfeed table extend from the base (I know how long the tables are themselves)? The WWing show is in KC next week, if all else fails I will just measure the DJ20. I would prefer the D0490, but my shop space may drive me to the G0586. I know that sounds strange, but my set up is pretty tight and the base dimensions may create some flow issues as I have hard piped my DC connection to the jointer and plan to do the same with the 8" jointer. The G0586 seems to be more uniform, I really like the G0490 the best though.

Brian Triplett
01-26-2006, 1:07 PM
Scott, you bring up a question I had with Grizzly. With all the advertising grizzly does in maganizes I would have thought that they would bring a few machines on these woodworking shows especially down south were some of us who don't live near a showroom could get a look at them. Just wondering.

Scott Coffelt
01-26-2006, 1:25 PM
Them shows are pretty expensive to show in, I suppose it may be too expensive for them in the long run. The challenge for many folks is they just aren't close enough to see one in the wild and then they go with something they can get local. I guess papa griz would have to provide details of percentage of first time buyers and those that have never seen one in the wild before ordering. I personally think they would see a large increase in new buyers from having a few tools at the show for folks to touch and feel the quality. From there people can make the association with other products. For me it is still a 3-4 hour drive one one to visit the show room, at least I know the quality I am getting ahead of time when I do make a purchase.

Richard Niemiec
01-26-2006, 1:43 PM
You gotta hand it to Shiraz, he's on top of this, and his welcome participation here is creating more goodwill for Griz every day, which is well deserved.

Hi Rich,

Dave Harker
01-26-2006, 6:31 PM
Scott, you wrote:

"I would really like to know some specific measurements. How big is the base on the G0490 and how far does the outfeed table extend from the base (I know how long the tables are themselves)?"

I have had good luck emailing Grizzly technical support. I was considering one of their air compressors, and wanted to know detailed info about what PSI value caused the tank to start refilling again, and was that adjustable, etc. I got answers to every question by the next day. I'm sure some took some research, I got pretty detailed, and also asked followup questions to their original answers.

I didn't like the content of the answers (PSI got too low prior to refill) but I was very impressed with the fact that I GOT some answers, and in a prompt friendly fashion.

Good luck.