PDA

View Full Version : Stickers

Jack Frederick
11-16-2022, 9:25 AM
I’m going to put this walnut I just cut down in my daughters barn for a couple years. It will be a good ventilated space. I’m going to spray it with Timbor as it comes off the mill. I have a lot of cedar stickers but worry about staining the walnut. Is that a valid concern? Rather then cutting up a bunch of walnut for stickers I’m thinking that some 3/4 or 1” pvc pipe might work well and I have lot of it laying around. The pile won’t. Be so high that I have to worry about crushing the pipe.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-16-2022, 9:41 AM
I would worry the pipe might have a tendency to let the stack roll around. I don't know what the cedar will do but it does make stains that come through paint. I like to make stickers from off cuts of the same wood.

Patrick Varley
11-16-2022, 10:22 AM
No input on the staining issue. But if you use the PVC, the trick (as you may know) is ripping it in half to form a U-shape. No rolling that way.

Jim Becker
11-16-2022, 10:22 AM
A sawyer I follow on the 'Tube (Out Of The Woods) buys bundles of the pine furring strips from the 'borg and halves them to 4'. They are KD (which is why he uses them over cutting his own from scrap) and pretty darn cheap, especially when they are preserved and reused over time. My stack does use cut up salvaged T&G siding I was gifted years ago, but if I didn't have that, I would have likely used the furring strip material for simplicity.

Patrick Kane
11-16-2022, 10:49 AM
I dried a bunch of walnut a couple years ago, and i used oak/hemlock stickers. I havent noticed any sticker stain from either wood species. I dont think walnut is as susceptible to sticker staining as other species. For whatever reason, i had sticker stain in Cherry that simply would not go away no matter how much material i removed. I also noticed that before in sapele.

John TenEyck
11-16-2022, 11:43 AM
My advise is to avoid green wood stickers. Use AD or KD material, like the furring strips Jim mentioned. PVC is fine if you can keep it from rolling. I use 3/4" x 1" PVC stickers that I get from a guy who uses a lot of that material in his business.

John

Justin Rapp
11-16-2022, 11:44 AM
I have used stickers from many types of wood when I air dry. I just had a fair amount of poplar cut-offs that I sent through the planer and they are 3/4 x 3/4. I've used pine also. I've used even MDF on occasion but that wasn't a good choice, even though it worked.

if you do get any surface stains they should clear up when you surface your boards.

Cameron Wood
11-16-2022, 12:51 PM
I don't think dry cedar would have issues, especially if the stacks are out of the weather. Better than green walnut stickers.

Presumably 1/16"+ will be removed in surfacing anyway.

Rich Engelhardt
11-16-2022, 12:52 PM
Can you get old pallets?

Around me, they stack pallets out by the road with a "FREE" sign on them.
All they ask in return is to not make a mess removing them.