PDA

View Full Version : Central Pneumatic Harbor Freight blow gun?

Brian Runau
11-15-2022, 1:19 PM
I bought this to help me clean out my dust collector filter. It has a through hole at the end of the handle the allows constant air flow. What am I missing?

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-with-2-ft-extension-68257.html

(https://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-with-2-ft-extension-68257.html)

Dan Friedrichs
11-15-2022, 1:26 PM
Two things:
1) High pressure air can cause an air embolism if directed at people, so the holes are an OSHA requirement to limit the pressure you can deliver at the tip.
2) The holes also function as a venturi, using the flow to recruit additional air volume through the side holes. I suspect this requires more design work than is present in the HF version, however :)

Ronald Blue
11-15-2022, 1:31 PM
There's always this.

https://www.airfilterblaster.com/

Brian Runau
11-15-2022, 2:01 PM
Two things:
1) High pressure air can cause an air embolism if directed at people, so the holes are an OSHA requirement to limit the pressure you can deliver at the tip.
2) The holes also function as a venturi, using the flow to recruit additional air volume through the side holes. I suspect this requires more design work than is present in the HF version, however :)

thanks. Using it with a pancake so don't think I can over do it, but I understand now. Brian

Richard Coers
11-15-2022, 2:11 PM
The valve on the gun doesn't stop the flow? Take it back, the valve is defective.

Cary Falk
11-15-2022, 2:58 PM
I have a HF blow gun that leaks air also. I only keep it around in case I can't locate my good one.

Mel Fulks
11-15-2022, 3:41 PM
Lot of blow guns start to leak , some brands are better than others . And the some of the stems fit better than others .

Tom M King
11-15-2022, 3:46 PM
I've had this one, and gotten Really good use out of it for many things, for over 20 years. Mine doesn't have the idiot blow hole. I see they now include it separately.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665751_200665751?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%2 0Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Accessories%20%3E%20Air%20Blo w%20Guns&utm_campaign=Ironton&utm_content=45972&gclid=CjwKCAiAjs2bBhACEiwALTBWZU3Zo0bkPqwpF999xME0 GeaTSGtC6a142-6nshaTKWRuDzvXItYj5BoCXRQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited to add: I also see that it is "does not meet OSHA standards ", but ain't skeered.

Brian Runau
11-15-2022, 5:02 PM
I have a HF blow gun that leaks air also. I only keep it around in case I can't locate my good one.

It's not a leak there is a designed through hole shown in the picture. Dan's explanation is valid. brian

Mel Fulks
11-15-2022, 5:12 PM
Two things:

And guys have had to have operations , or burials from someone - comedian than good workman blowing a hole into a body usually belonging to someone else.

Bruce Page
11-15-2022, 7:12 PM
Two things:

Yes, OSHA requires a 30 PSI limit at the nozzle. I was working at LANL when the reg came out in the late 70’s. They threw out literally hundreds of non complying blow guns.

Greg Quenneville
11-16-2022, 4:52 AM
If you want to have a gun with unlimited delivery pressure you may have to shop online from overseas. If so, Air Boy is an excellent brand, made in Denmark. Mine deliver the full 120 psi.

Cary Falk
11-16-2022, 5:32 AM
It's not a leak there is a designed through hole shown in the picture. Dan's explanation is valid. brian
No, it sprays air whether I hold down on the trigger or not. I might as well put an open end fitting on it and let the air flow. Same effect.

Jim Becker
11-16-2022, 10:24 AM
No, it sprays air whether I hold down on the trigger or not. I might as well put an open end fitting on it and let the air flow. Same effect.

That would not be a usable product for me for sure. Limiting pressure while actually triggered makes sense for safety, but an "open gun" would not be acceptable.