PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider the phase of the moon in your projects?

Cameron Wood
11-14-2022, 11:06 PM
Eric Sloane, in "American Barns & Covered Bridges" recounts,

"In the days when our country was young, the farmer was carpenter and builder, a man who knew his wood.... He went by the sayings his father knew: 'If you'd have your timbers lay, hewe them out in March and May; When the moon is new to full, timber fibers warp and pull'"

Lamar Keeney
11-15-2022, 8:24 AM
I recall in my youth my grandfather commenting on the repair of a cabin saying "It won't last cause they cut the timber in the wrong season and signs." He said "if cut during the right time it would peal easier, be lighter, and more resistant to insects" Well time proved him right. He consulted the Alminac for many things from planting to hog killings.

If I were to have wood dropped and milled I would definitely do it under these signs.

Keegan Shields
11-15-2022, 8:45 AM
Our caveman brain is drawn to superstition, ritual, and stories. It's also prone to errors in logic and rife with a whole host of biases - some of which were probably useful when living with your close family tribe of 20 people in a cave.

That's why we saw an explosion in technology and science once we came up with the scientific method in the late 1500's (thanks Galileo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_scientific_method)).

In the last 400ish years, we've gone from thinking the Earth was the center of the universe to looking across the universe back in time to just before the Big Bang (James Webb Telescope (https://webb.nasa.gov/)) using an incredible telescope floating in space!

That said, I'd be happy to buy any wood not dropped and milled under the correct sign for 1/2 price. :)

Andrew Hughes
11-15-2022, 9:11 AM
I think it’s important to consider the environment around you and inside you. What I’m looking to gain is confidence and knowledge.
If you bake a bread with indifference or intolerance you bake a bread that feed only half of mans hunger.

Mark Gibney
11-15-2022, 10:15 AM
I might steal that quote Andrew!

Keegan that made me laugh.

John TenEyck
11-15-2022, 10:33 AM
The pealing easier part is true. Trees cut in Summer peal much easier than those cut in the Winter because the sap is up in the trunk. But trees cut in the Winter will be lighter because the sap is down in the roots.

My grandfather would never plant peas unless it was "in the dark of the moon". I always remember that when I'm planting peas but never pay attention to the moon.

John