PDA

View Full Version : A few tool questions

Bob Noles
01-25-2006, 2:20 PM
Okay..... trying to bring some things together in my head from research and watching the pros. I have a few questions I would like to throw out and see how y'all do things.

1. The skew chisel..... I know a 70* angle is recommended, but which bevel do y'all prefer on the larger skew.... a radial or straight? What are the advantages of either? Is a one inch large skew enough or is a 1 1/4 preferable?

2. I have both a 3/8" and a 5/8" bowl gouge based on recommendations made to me early in my turning explorations. It appears that the 1/2" is somewhat the single universal size to have from what I am seeing now. Which size(s) are you finding most useful?

3. In an Alan Lacer video, he lays out 7 good tools for a biginner. If you kept your 7 most used tools handy to the lathe, which would they be? I know 7 is not enough and neither is 70 :D , but if only 7 kept near, I am looking for the most used tools.

4. Roughing gouge... what size(s) is best to have?

Just wanting to get some ideas and survey what day to day turners use. Thanks for any input you have to offer.

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 3:01 PM
1. The skew chisel..... I know a 70* angle is recommended, but which bevel do y'all prefer on the larger skew.... a radial or straight? What are the advantages of either? Is a one inch large skew enough or is a 1 1/4 preferable?
I avoid the skew like the plague... ;) ...and the skew is happy about it.

2. I have both a 3/8" and a 5/8" bowl gouge based on recommendations made to me early in my turning explorations. It appears that the 1/2" is somewhat the single universal size to have from what I am seeing now. Which size(s) are you finding most useful?
The 1/2" and 5/8" may actually be the same size, depending on which side of the pond the measurements were done. My 5/8" Ellsworth gouges are identical in size to my 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge. (which I also put the Ellsworth side-grind on) I use these 1/2"/5/8" gouges for 85% of my work, no matter what the size of the piece.

3. In an Alan Lacer video, he lays out 7 good tools for a biginner. If you kept your 7 most used tools handy to the lathe, which would they be? I know 7 is not enough and neither is 70 :D , but if only 7 kept near, I am looking for the most used tools.
My 3 Ellsworth grind gouges, my 1/8" parting tool, my 3/4" roughing gouge (spindle work only), a specially ground 1/4" spindle gouge that I use for parting off and finishing bottoms and my Jamison captive hollowing system.

What size spindle work do you generally do? I find my 3/4" roughing gouge to be quite useful. If I did much larger work (columns, etc.) I'd want a bigger one for the mass and increased "working edge" to reduce time between sharpenings.[/quote]

Andy Hoyt
01-25-2006, 3:05 PM
Bob - I'll throw my two cents in.

1. The skew chisel..... Started with 1/2" and failed. Borrowed a 1.25" and all went well and the thing clicked. Worked my way back down to a 1/4". Love it, but still troublesome. No idea as to angle - it's whatever the OW skew jig creates. Never tried a curve, want to, just haven't gotten around to it.

2. Bowl Gouge...3/8". It's a mastercut with an irish grind on a homemade handle. I love it. Use the 1/2" only for ugly roughing.

3. In an Alan Lacer video... Never seen the video. All my tools are within one step of the lathe. But the answer has to lie in the piece being turned. Face or center?

4. Roughing gouge...Only one I have is 3/4". Never found a need to go bigger, and I can get some pretty tight curves going with the 3/4".

Cecil Arnold
01-25-2006, 3:08 PM
Pretty much what Jim said. I've got a 1/4" bowl gouge that I use for smaller work and two or three scrapers I'm especally fond of.

Andy Howard
01-25-2006, 3:16 PM
1. One inch skew is nice, im sure 1 1/4" would be better. I currently use a straight gring, but want to start the radius grind when I get a lacer skew eventually. I definately do not like the oval skews.....rectangular skew is good for me, just break the sharp corners on the grinder.

2. I use a 3/8" bowl gouge, I like it ok, definately wouldnt go smaller, think I am going to get a 1/2" also.

3. 1" skew.
10mm (3/8") spindle gouge.
1" roughing gouge.
Parting Tool.
3/8" Bowl Gouge - side grind.
Round nose scraper.
Square nose scraper.

4. I use a 1" roughing gouge, also have a 3/4", but like the 1" a little better.

And I am not a day to day turner.....just a hack of a beginner.

Andy Howard

Raymond Overman
01-25-2006, 3:18 PM
My seven tools would be:

5/8" bowl gouge (P&N)

1" Oval Skew (Crown, for pens)

3/8" Spindle Gouge (Crown, for pens)

Straight boring bar (Home made)

Curved boring bar (John Jordan)

1/16" Parting tool (Home made)

Scraper (Home made)

98% of everything I turn is done with one or a combination of the above tools. I've got a 1" roughing gouge but have only used it a couple of times. It's so aggressive that I have a hard time with stalling unless the piece is spinning at the speed of light. I usually cut rounds with the bandsaw and rough with the bowl gouge anyway.

Bob Noles
01-25-2006, 3:49 PM
I want to thank y'all for the fast and detailed replies so far. This information coupled with other research will really help me in paving a path armed with informed decisions rather than stabs in the dark.

Thanks and I hope these replies will help others as well.

Bill Stevener
01-25-2006, 4:15 PM
Just a quick note.

A radius on a skew makes it easier to learn with, as well as, to use. It can be ground on any skew.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Carole Valentine
01-25-2006, 4:49 PM
1" roughing
3/8" bowl (my own grind)
1/8" diamond parting
1" radiused skew
3 Kelton Hollowing tools

That's 7 but I MUST have my tear drop scraper on the multitip or the hollowmaster, my other 3/8" gouge with a different grind, my 5/8" gouge and my detail gouge. There are others that I would not give up.

Dennis Peacock
01-25-2006, 5:34 PM
1/2" Bowl Gouge
1/2" Bowl Gouge
5/8" Bowl Gouge
1" Heavy Duty Bowl Scraper
1/2" Radius Scraper
1/2" Skew
1" Oval Skew

There.....that's 7 of them.....and yes....I have TWO 1/2" Bowl Gouges. A lot of my tools are Crown brand, but I've quickly learned and am now using a LOT of P&N from Lee Valley. I get to make my own handles for those. cheaper too.!!! :D

Brad Schmid
01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Bob,

1. I like to use a Henry Taylor 1/2" radiused oval skew, but that's just me... but if I were going to turn some large posts or something, then I'd go bigger.

2. I use a 5/8" Ellsworth Crown PM the most out of all of them.

3. These aren't necessarily the ones I use the most, but they are the ones I wouldn't want to do without - 5/8" and 1/2" Ellsworth bowl gouges, Jamison Hollowing rig, 1/2" radiused oval skew, 1/8" parting tool, Raffan Spearpoint, and sorby texturing tool.

4. I use a 3/4" size roughing gouge most, but most of my spindle turnings are under 4" dia...

Corey Hallagan
01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Ok Bob, this is from a beginner that has done only spindle turning. I have done no bowl spinning. I have the 6 piece set of tools that I received from you and a set of Midi sized HSS chisels which include a 3/8 inch spindle gouge, 1/2 oval skew and 1/8 parting tool.

I have found out that I like the long handled tools, even for pen turning. For me I get more control. The large set has a 1 inch oval skew, 3/8 spindle gouge, 7/8 inch roughing gouge, 3/8 bowl gouge, 3/4 inch round scraper. Never used the scraper or bowl gouge yet as I haven't done that kind of turning.

I find even for the little pen blanks, I like to use the 7/8 roughing gouge until it get round, then I switch to the 3/8 gouge. I like the oval skews much better than the straight skew... at least for bead work, seems easier. I like the 1 inch that came in the large set, the 1/2 oval in the pen set is ok, but not long enough handle, so I ordred a 3/4 inch oval skew, right in the middle but haven't received it. Also ordered a 1/2 inch spindle gouge. I guess overall I tend to use the large ones, even for small stuff. I expect this will continue to evolve.
Corey

gerald sievers
01-26-2006, 2:27 AM
Okay..... trying to bring some things together in my head from research and watching the pros. I have a few questions I would like to throw out and see how y'all do things.

Just wanting to get some ideas and survey what day to day turners use. Thanks for any input you have to offer.
ok time to get out of the background and put my 2 cents worth in. I have the alan lacer skews(5/8 and 1 1/4). I like both of them. I use them for roughing spindle blanks , truing up the ends of bowl blanks. My other tool of choice is the 5/8 ellsworth crown pm gouge . yes, you can turn the bowl with just that tool and start sanding with 150 grit paper if you use it right. I also like to make my own tools when I can't find what I need or the price is too high.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 6:40 AM
Gerald,

Welcome to SMC. Hope you will stay and enjoy the fun with us.

I had looked at the Lacer Skew Chisel and even as much as I admire him, I cannot justify the price they get for one of those.

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 6:43 AM
Ok Bob, this is from a beginner that has done only spindle turning. I have done no bowl spinning. I have the 6 piece set of tools that I received from you and a set of Midi sized HSS chisels which include a 3/8 inch spindle gouge, 1/2 oval skew and 1/8 parting tool.

I have found out that I like the long handled tools, even for pen turning. For me I get more control. The large set has a 1 inch oval skew, 3/8 spindle gouge, 7/8 inch roughing gouge, 3/8 bowl gouge, 3/4 inch round scraper. Never used the scraper or bowl gouge yet as I haven't done that kind of turning.

I find even for the little pen blanks, I like to use the 7/8 roughing gouge until it get round, then I switch to the 3/8 gouge. I like the oval skews much better than the straight skew... at least for bead work, seems easier. I like the 1 inch that came in the large set, the 1/2 oval in the pen set is ok, but not long enough handle, so I ordred a 3/4 inch oval skew, right in the middle but haven't received it. Also ordered a 1/2 inch spindle gouge. I guess overall I tend to use the large ones, even for small stuff. I expect this will continue to evolve.
Corey

Corey,

I have found that the longer chisels have been my friend as well. Seems like you have more control with the length than with the shorter ones.

John Hart
01-26-2006, 7:09 AM
1" Roughing Gouge
1" Skew
1/2" Round nose Scraper
Ugly Stick (scraper)
Big Bertha (scraper)
Hollowmaster (scraper)
Sandpaper

There...that's 7 :)

Bob Noles
01-26-2006, 7:19 AM
1" Roughing Gouge
1" Skew
1/2" Round nose Scraper
Ugly Stick (scraper)
Big Bertha (scraper)
Hollowmaster (scraper)
Sandpaper

There...that's 7 :)

Sandpaper???? :D :D :D :p

Jim Becker
01-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Sandpaper????

Ah, yes...'kinda like the 19th hole in Golf. Always there and quite necessary sometimes. The proverbial 60 grit gouge... :D

Jim Dunn
01-26-2006, 9:12 PM
Bandaids
Coffee (to settle my nerves, oh and a cig too)
Harbor freight tools (that's why I need the above)
Newwwwwwww Sorby scraper whatchamacallit thingamabob (gloat)

The above is seven as the cuts usually need 4 bandaids:)

gerald sievers
01-27-2006, 12:03 AM
thanks Bob. It was a hard decision. The lacer skews are 3/8 inch thick and are beefer than the cheaper ones. A good second choice is the skews from packard. They work just as good.
I just spent the afternoon in a friends wood pile cutting out some tree forks , oak, apple,etc.

John Hart
01-27-2006, 6:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek Gerald!!!