PDA

View Full Version : 1/4hp power feeders?

Jared Sankovich
11-12-2022, 8:49 AM
The post on baby feeders reminded me that I have a 1/4hp feeder a friend gave me. It's still new in the box, but I don't really know what their good for if anything. To be clear I already have a bunch 1hp feeders, just wondering if this would work somewhere or on something i'm not thinking of.

Jim Becker
11-12-2022, 11:00 AM
Ask yourself, "what operation in your shop that's not already assisted could benefit from an extra set of "hands" and stability to improve the process and quality of the end result? " Given it's not a beefy feeder, it's got to be something more modest. Router table. Table saw for released rip cuts, etc. Smaller operations where controlled, constant speed of feed could improve things.

J.R. Rutter
11-15-2022, 9:11 PM
Long ago, I had a 1/4 hp feeder mounted to an 8" jointer that we used for edging. I used a cast slotted 90 degree angle plate bolted to the back side of the machine, and it had just enough reach to be able to work the jointer fence forward all the way to be able to use up the full width of the blades over time. It was a good little feeder.

Bobby Robbinett
11-16-2022, 6:46 AM
Long ago, I had a 1/4 hp feeder mounted to an 8" jointer that we used for edging. I used a cast slotted 90 degree angle plate bolted to the back side of the machine, and it had just enough reach to be able to work the jointer fence forward all the way to be able to use up the full width of the blades over time. It was a good little feeder.

I have a 1/2HP feeder on my long bed jointer that I use solely for edge jointing on face frame stock in our cabinet shop. We converted the feeder to have a track instead of wheels and it works quite well. We built a large base to mount the feeder on behind the jointer.

Bobby Robbinett
11-16-2022, 6:47 AM
You can use a 1/4hp feeder for running the sticking on cabinet doors or ripping or dado’d on the table saw.