PDA

View Full Version : LaserPro/Pinnacle laser & AutoCad 2005?

James Fillmore
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
New here. Been reading alot. Great info. I tried calling the resident Pinnacle tech, Kevin, but he is outta the office on a business trip.

JUST getting my new ZX/Exploerer laser going. I installed the driveres and tried to do a test cut thru AutoCad 2005 and AutoCad locked up. Reinstalled an old version of AutoCad (14) and the software didn't lock up.
Tried Corel 12 and the software didn't lock up.

Does the Explorer driver (V3.51 - the latest) NOT work with AutoCad2005?

Oh and it didn't work with AutoCad 2004 either.

Would hate to have to dxf my cad files then plot them with another software package. UGH. I have been using a ULS laser for 5 years plotting right from AutoCad. Even 2004 and 2005.

Jim A. Walters
01-25-2006, 3:27 PM
I read in the M-Series manual that you can print from AutoCAD directly to the laser using HPGL plotter language and bypass the windows driver. The colors and power levels are manually set on the laser's control panel.

I usually work with small CAD files to cut legends or control panels. I always bring the CAD file into Corel to print. I end up redrawing the CAD in Corel a lot! Let's hope X3 works better with CAD files than previous versions.

You can also call Eddie LaRue at Signwarehouse at extension 2756.

James Fillmore
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jim.

Pinnacle called back this AM and said AutoCad 2005 DOESN'T work with thier engravers. Said only up to 2002. UGH. I asked if they were working on a 2005 drvers and he said he hoped they were cause others have been asking also.

I DID get the USB driver setup and working. AutoCad 2005 WILL send a file to the ZX (Pinnacle)/Explorer (GCC/LaserPro) engraver BUT it just moves the X axis all the way to the right then beeps. "Flakes out", just like the Pinnacle tech said.

Don't have a 2002 or 2000 like the Pinnacle tech suggested. And even though I use AutoCad 2005 I save all my drawings as "2000/2000LT". So maybe I can find a distributor selling an OLD copy.

Abdul Baseer Hai
01-26-2006, 3:51 PM
This is very right.
I do work for a hitech manufacturer and they do all their drawings in CAD 2005. I had a major problem importing those drawings into corel12.

Then we figured it out.

They do thier work in CAD2005 but save it in version 2000 as a .DXF file.
I have no problem importing these files and sending them to my Explorer.
The files are fairly complex ,(one had 96 quarter inch perfectly aligned holes in it) but the panels come out beautifully.
I make front and back control panels and it pays exceptionally well.
They accept any estimate i give them as fast turnaround is of essence to them and they save a lot of money on my prototypes.

This is a very good business and I urge all of to visit hardware manufacturers in your area.
If anyone needs more guidance, i will be glad to help.

abdul

James Fillmore
01-27-2006, 9:31 AM
Who was that customer Abdul? :)

So I loaded AutoCad 2000 this AM and tried cutting some plastic. I only had an hour befor work to play. It worked.

1) At the end of the cut the laser head goes all the way to the right. Kinda odd. But when I downloaded the next file it came over and cut in the same spot. Seems odd that the head goes to the right. Is it to clear the 0,0 location for load and unload? Is there a setup parameter to move the head BACK to 0,0 at the end of the cut?

2) I LOVE how it displays the red pointer all the time! My Universal Laser doesn't do this.

3) MAN IS IT FAST compared to my 5 year old Universal Laser machine!

4) For some reason the engraving is starting about 3" over from the origin. I have used a Universal laser for 5-6 years (and large mechanical engravers for 5 years before that) so I'm familiar with this type of equipment. Is there something I'm missing in the setup or config?

Abdul Baseer Hai
01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Who was that customer Abdul?
the customer is a high tech equipment manufacturer. they have an international presence and manufacture equipment destined for delivery to customers all over the globe. I make the front and back control panels for them. :)

So I loaded AutoCad 2000 this AM and tried cutting some plastic. I only had an hour befor work to play. It worked.
even if you work with autocad 2005, as long as you save your work in 2000 format, it should work.

1) At the end of the cut the laser head goes all the way to the right. Kinda odd. But when I downloaded the next file it came over and cut in the same spot. Seems odd that the head goes to the right. Is it to clear the 0,0 location for load and unload? Is there a setup parameter to move the head BACK to 0,0 at the end of the cut?
In the driver if you specify "HOME" from the four options available, the head is supposed to park at the far right corner after the cut but starts from the home position the minute the next file is sent. If you specify Relative in the driver then the head comes back to the exact same position where it started.Center with have the head start from the exact center of the graphic and fan out but the head will come back to the same position on completion. No Home with have the head stop at the position the last graphic ends and the next one will continue from that point.All these settings give you a mountain of versitality. Go ahead and experiment

2) I LOVE how it displays the red pointer all the time! My Universal Laser doesn't do this.

3) MAN IS IT FAST compared to my 5 year old Universal Laser machine!

4) For some reason the engraving is starting about 3" over from the origin. I have used a Universal laser for 5-6 years (and large mechanical engravers for 5 years before that) so I'm familiar with this type of equipment. Is there something I'm missing in the setup or config?
This is true only when you use the honeycomb table. The rulers on the honeycomb and the engraving table do not line up, thus the 3" difference. I figured out a way around this. If you use the honeycomb table a lot, specially for a repetitive job, then you are better of re-setting the home position to the top left corner of the ruler on the honey comb. This way when you specify HOME in the driver and are using the honeycomb, the head starts the next job from the top left corner of the honeycomb.dont forget to reset the home when you remove the honeycomb.

I hope all this helps.
feel free to ask anything else.

Abdul

Kevin Huffman
01-27-2006, 2:32 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,
Sorry I haven't been on in a couple of days, I was out on a trip.
If you would like the "How to setup AutoCad 2004 with a Pinnacle/Laserpro laser" just shoot me an email to kevin.huffman@signwarehouse.com.
The file is 2.0mb it is to large to post on here.

It should work with Auto2005 also.

James Fillmore
01-27-2006, 4:13 PM
You have mail Kevin :)

Frank Ross
01-27-2006, 5:56 PM
I have an Explorer, but maybe it is the same driver. If you use "home" it will go to top right on completion. On "relative" it will return to the starting position.

The 3" offset is due to the vector table being longer than the flat table.
I use a 3" spacer (cut from acrylic) when I use the vector table. You can also click on "extend" in the driver.

James Fillmore
01-31-2006, 6:46 PM
Actually the flat/bare table is longer; 38" The Vector table is only 32" BUT your suggestion to select the "Extend" feature in the driver WORKED and puts start of the engraving/cutting at 0,0!!!

Problem now is the default "paper size" built into the Explorer (ZX) diver is 32" x 20". this is the size it tells AutoCad. So even with the "Extend" feature selected in the driver, AutoCad will only recognize and cut a 32" long part. So much for having a 38" table.

So what do others do? Import the DXF into Corel?

Is anyone using that EngraverLab. I HATE that key dongle. UGH Can i import a DXF into it?

David Barron
02-01-2006, 12:15 PM
James,

Let me see if I'm following you correctly, as I'm not an AutoCad user. You enable Extend and you have a design that is greater than 32 inches in length and it cuts it off?

You can import DXFs into EngraveLab, but you're probably going to have to scale it to the right size. I always seem to have scaling issues when I import them there. Corel works better for that.

Dave

Kevin Huffman
02-01-2006, 1:49 PM
Actually the flat/bare table is longer; 38" The Vector table is only 32" BUT your suggestion to select the "Extend" feature in the driver WORKED and puts start of the engraving/cutting at 0,0!!!

Problem now is the default "paper size" built into the Explorer (ZX) diver is 32" x 20". this is the size it tells AutoCad. So even with the "Extend" feature selected in the driver, AutoCad will only recognize and cut a 32" long part. So much for having a 38" table.

So what do others do? Import the DXF into Corel?

Is anyone using that EngraverLab. I HATE that key dongle. UGH Can i import a DXF into it?
Hello James,
Are you putting your table in Autocad up to 38 in by 20 in when you use the extend feature? If not that is why it is only allowing you to engrave on 32x20.

James Fillmore
02-02-2006, 8:46 AM
Hello James,
Are you putting your table in Autocad up to 38 in by 20 in when you use the extend feature? If not that is why it is only allowing you to engrave on 32x20.
Autocad only allows you to use the paper size given by the laser driver. Its given as a blank default description with a 32x20 size. The dont allow any changes to the size. Do you guys have any contacts back to GCC to ask them about this?

Rodne Gold
02-02-2006, 10:24 AM
You need to set the limits in the acad drawing , its a command called Limits , if the graphic extends beyond the limits then that part wont plot

Kevin Huffman
02-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Right now, If I remember correctly, is the week long new year celebration. I have emailed them in the last couple of days but I haven't recieved anything back from them. That or they are ignoring me LoL (highly dobubt that though). They would never do that.

Since AutoCad sets the page size from the driver. Have you tried setting up the page, act like you are going to send something to the laser, enable the extended feature. Then cancel the print and go back into Auto Cad and reset up the page.
That is what I had to do to get Corel Draw to notice the extended feature. Corel has "Set from Printer" feature but I had to set the extended, then hit cancel right before I clicked ok to send it to the laser, then when I was back in Corel Draw I had reclick the set from printer button, which changed the plate size. It went from 32x20 to 37.803x20.

Let me know,

James Fillmore
02-02-2006, 5:42 PM
Rodne, yep I set the limits to 38x20 but it "clipped" the engraving at 32"

Kevin, I'll try that (think I have).

I'll just use it at 32x20 for now. Better than the 24x18 ULS I had BUT if I could get the extra 6" using AutoCad..... that'd be cool!

Last item; can settings (power, speed, PPI) be saved/named for different materials?

David Barron
02-02-2006, 5:53 PM
Kevin,

If you emailed GCC America, it will be a while before you get a response. Most of them are away at a show.

Dave

Kevin Huffman
02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes James,
On the options tab, there is a save/load/delete option. This saves every setting in the driver at that time and you can give it different named like 8th in plastic or quarter inch hardwood or whatever material name you want to call it. Just remember it doesn't automatically link these settings to the job in Autocad/corel/engravelab, you will have to open it up when you want to use those settings.