PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Accurate Angle Finder?

Derek Arita
11-11-2022, 10:28 AM
I want use a digital angle indicator for setting my saw blade, however the ones I have only indicate to 10ths of a degree. I'd like something more accurate than that. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

John TenEyck
11-11-2022, 10:39 AM
I think you will need a mechanical solution. For common 30 and 45 degree angles quality plastic drafting triangles are hard to beat. For other angles you can make a triangle using your miter saw, Dubby sled, etc. I made an indicator from plastic using my CNC for common angles.

John

Mark Hennebury
11-11-2022, 11:40 AM
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/TLL-90S-Super-High-Precision-Angle_751775428.html

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc01/kf/HTB1xDieNVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXd/200475631/HTB1xDieNVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg?quality=close
Features:
High accuracy ±0.005°, high resolution 0.001°.
Li-lon battery rechargeable, durable.
High resolution, professional measurement.
Laser module installed for alignment.
Dual and single axis with user friendly LCD display angle.
V shape aluminum metal case for easy to fit at the corner or pipe.
2 side magnetic base with milled surface.
Audible alarming at settable angle range.
Any angle measurement with gyro.
USB to pc connection need adapter.
PLC Modbus RS485 connection with 6P6C socket, connect up to 255 unit in one network.

Specifications:
Color: Black
Gravity Measurement Accuracy: 0 to 20°: ± (0.005°)
20 to 70°: ± (0.01°)
70 to 90°: ± (0.005°)
Measuring range: Single axis: 360°, Dual axis: ±40°
Resolution: 0.001°
Gyro Measurement Accuracy: 0.5°
Gyro Measurement Resolution: 0.1°
Gyro Rotation Speed: <50°/s
Laser Output: 5MW
Display Response time: <0.6 second
Audio Sound: 60dB @ 30cm
Zero Offset Drift Angle Per °C: 0.002° (typical)
Operating temperature: 0 to 50°C (32 to 122℉)
Storage temperature: -10 to 60°C (14 to 140℉)
User Interface: Mono-color LCD with backlight
Supply Power: Rechargeable Li-Polymer 3.7V
Charger port: 5V 500mA Mini type-B USB port
Item Size: Approx 9.4 * 6.5 * 2.8cm / 3.7 * 2.6 * 1.1in
Item Weight: Approx 182.5g / 6.4oz
Package Size: Approx 17 * 13 * 4.5cm / 6.7 * 5.1 * 1.8in
Package Weight: Approx 355g / 12.5oz

Dennis Jarchow
11-11-2022, 11:58 AM
The accuracy of most of the digital ones I have tried are only plus or minus .2 degrees. So having a resolution higher than .1 degree is useless. Even the really expensive ones ($600+) that are NIST certified only have an accuracy of plus or minus .05 deg from 0-10 degrees and at angles greater than that you are back to plus or minus .2 degrees. I am sure you can find something that is more accurate than that but it will likely be even more expensive and given you are cutting wood on a tablesaw, seems like overkill.

Brian Holcombe
11-11-2022, 12:41 PM
I have a mitutoyo digital one that is very acccurate but more often than not I take a test cut and compare it to a precision ground angle block.

Mel Fulks
11-11-2022, 1:44 PM
I have a mitutoyo digital one that is very acccurate but more often than not I take a test cut and compare it to a precision ground angle block.

I’ve got a mitutoyo non digital . No More watching a pointer bounce around for me , Jerry !!

Bruce Page
11-11-2022, 1:54 PM
Vernier Bevel Protractor

Derek, these are old school but will reliably get you within 5’. There are several on the Bay.
Mine is a Brown & Sharp model. It has many miles on it, lol.

Derek Arita
11-11-2022, 6:07 PM
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/TLL-90S-Super-High-Precision-Angle_751775428.html

https://s.alicdn.com/@sc01/kf/HTB1xDieNVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXd/200475631/HTB1xDieNVXXXXXuXXXXq6xXFXXXd.jpg?quality=close
Features:
High accuracy ±0.005°, high resolution 0.001°.
Li-lon battery rechargeable, durable.
High resolution, professional measurement.
Laser module installed for alignment.
Dual and single axis with user friendly LCD display angle.
V shape aluminum metal case for easy to fit at the corner or pipe.
2 side magnetic base with milled surface.
Audible alarming at settable angle range.
Any angle measurement with gyro.
USB to pc connection need adapter.
PLC Modbus RS485 connection with 6P6C socket, connect up to 255 unit in one network.

Specifications:
Color: Black
Gravity Measurement Accuracy: 0 to 20°: ± (0.005°)
20 to 70°: ± (0.01°)
70 to 90°: ± (0.005°)
Measuring range: Single axis: 360°, Dual axis: ±40°
Resolution: 0.001°
Gyro Measurement Accuracy: 0.5°
Gyro Measurement Resolution: 0.1°
Gyro Rotation Speed: <50°/s
Laser Output: 5MW
Display Response time: <0.6 second
Audio Sound: 60dB @ 30cm
Zero Offset Drift Angle Per °C: 0.002° (typical)
Operating temperature: 0 to 50°C (32 to 122℉)
Storage temperature: -10 to 60°C (14 to 140℉)
User Interface: Mono-color LCD with backlight
Supply Power: Rechargeable Li-Polymer 3.7V
Charger port: 5V 500mA Mini type-B USB port
Item Size: Approx 9.4 * 6.5 * 2.8cm / 3.7 * 2.6 * 1.1in
Item Weight: Approx 182.5g / 6.4oz
Package Size: Approx 17 * 13 * 4.5cm / 6.7 * 5.1 * 1.8in
Package Weight: Approx 355g / 12.5oz

Trying to find out how to buy this. I guess I have to ask for a quote, then wait for replies? I could never figure out how to buy on this site.

Paul F Franklin
11-11-2022, 8:07 PM
Trying to find out how to buy this. I guess I have to ask for a quote, then wait for replies? I could never figure out how to buy on this site.

https://startupbros.com/buying-from-alibaba/

Easiest for quan 1 is to buy from Aliexpress.. Search for TLL-90S

Paul F Franklin
12-17-2022, 8:32 PM
Did anyone end up buying one of the tll-90s ? Wondering how it worked out.

glenn bradley
12-17-2022, 9:05 PM
I've had a few. All have been returned except the Beall (https://www.bealltool.com/products/measuring/tiltbox.php). I have two of those. One of the heavy originals and one of the current version due to receiving it as a gift. Both do great; tablesaw, drill press, chisel sharpening, etc.

Edwin Santos
12-17-2022, 9:33 PM
What are you doing if I may ask, that 1/10th of a degree accuracy is not good enough?

You're making me feel primitive. I use a bevel boss and a shinwa sliding bevel to set all my angles. Sometimes I don't even know what the angle is, I'm taking it off a drawing or mock-up.

Alex Zeller
12-18-2022, 12:45 AM
Did anyone end up buying one of the tll-90s ? Wondering how it worked out.

There's a review on Amazon that sounds in depth. It got 3 stars. It sounds like it could work ok but was a little fussy. he called it an "expensive toy". Things he didn't like were the magnets were weak and the surfaces weren't machined so it didn't sit flat. I wouldn't mind getting a first hand review by someone here. For 90, 60, 45, and 30 I use machinist squares but for other angles it would be nice to have something precise.

Mel Fulks
12-18-2022, 2:11 AM
Vernier Bevel Protractor

Derek, these are old school but will reliably get you within 5’. There are several on the Bay.
Mine is a Brown & Sharp model. It has many miles on it, lol.

Bruce , I’ve got one similar to yours , don’t remember the brand. Had it a long time ! Laid out my sundial with it and it still works well.
I don't replace anything that works well with something digital. The 5 hundred , and 55 foot and 5” Washington Monument is straight !
But some like the Leaning Tower Of Pisa better ! And that’s OK

Patty Hann
12-18-2022, 3:43 AM
Bruce , I’ve got one similar to yours , don’t remember the brand. Had it a long time ! Laid out my sundial with it and it still works well.
I don't replace anything that works well with something digital. The 5 hundred , and 55 foot and 5” Washington Monument is straight !
But some like the Leaning Tower Of Pisa better ! And that’s OK

Angles on the Pyramids look pretty good too.

Rob Luter
12-18-2022, 7:34 AM
I started my career as an Engineer in a tool and die shop, so I'm a sucker for precision. That said, no electronic solution will give you anything more accurate than a 10th of a degree. You'd need a sine plate. I don't care what they claim or how many decimals the display goes to. The reality is that 99% of the time you'll never notice a 1/10 degree error anyway. When I make frames, mitered boxes, and the like I use a Wixey to set my saw blade angle. I always make a test cut and check it with a Starrett protractor. It's always exactly what the Wixey says it is. I follow up with four cuts and make a test frame to amplify any error. If there is any I correct it and lock everything down.

Derek Arita
12-18-2022, 9:21 AM
Well, I ended up getting the TLL 90S and it's pretty good. Yes the magnets are weak and they are only on one surface, but that surface is flat. What I don't like about my Wixey and others like it, is that I can move the tilt far enough to see lite along a square, but the Wixey never changes its reading until I remove, then replace it in position. Only then do I see an angle change. Along with the increased accuracy of the TLL 90S, the digital readout shows even the slightest move of the tilt adjustment. That's what I was looking for. To my eye, its accuracy seems to be consistent with my Starrett square. Conveniently, there's a channel that runs the length of the bottom of the TLL and that channel fits right over a blade tooth, allowing the flat edge to sit flat on the blade. Although it took a while to get it, I'm happy with the purchase and it does what I was looking for.

Paul F Franklin
12-18-2022, 11:26 AM
Well, I ended up getting the TLL 90S and it's pretty good. Yes the magnets are weak and they are only on one surface, but that surface is flat. What I don't like about my Wixey and others like it, is that I can move the tilt far enough to see lite along a square, but the Wixey never changes its reading until I remove, then replace it in position. Only then do I see an angle change. Along with the increased accuracy of the TLL 90S, the digital readout shows even the slightest move of the tilt adjustment. That's what I was looking for. To my eye, its accuracy seems to be consistent with my Starrett square. Conveniently, there's a channel that runs the length of the bottom of the TLL and that channel fits right over a blade tooth, allowing the flat edge to sit flat on the blade. Although it took a while to get it, I'm happy with the purchase and it does what I was looking for.

Derek, thanks! That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.