PDA

View Full Version : Stupid skirted toilet

Bill Dufour
11-09-2022, 8:37 PM
I went to replace the toilet seat on our fancy skirted toilet. One well nut fell off. Only way to get it out is to pull the toilet so I can reach behind the skirt. It clogs up sometimes so I will just replace the whole thing with one that works.
Not sure what holds it down. Some buried screw or bolt from the side. A sledge may be needed for that bit. if it is rusty under the cover.
Bill D.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-09-2022, 8:45 PM
I too have struggled with that type of toilet. I have an interesting collection of wrenches cut in half with an angle grinder out of desperation trying to get an install done. Where is Thomas Crapper when we need him?

Bill Dufour
11-09-2022, 8:59 PM
For a elongated bowl like this I would normally take the tank off first to lighten the load. Not possible, since I can not even feel the nuts holding the tank down. Neither can I feel the supply line nut. It would be impossible to fix a leak without pulling the toilet. More reason to replace it. It is flopro sold by ferguson. I guess I am glad they do not sell to individuals.
Bill D.

PS : $375 at Lowes for a toilet, rubber wax ring and a water hammer arrestor.

Jamie Buxton
11-10-2022, 1:12 PM
What is a skirted toilet? Never heard of it. Looked up Flopro by Ferguson, found many many conventional toilets.

Bill George
11-10-2022, 1:25 PM
We replaced all three of ours with American Standard, the non clogging ones, zero issues for years. About $300 or so each.

Stan Calow
11-10-2022, 2:02 PM
Skirted toilets are popular because they are easier to keep clean because of the straight sides. We have Fergusons here that will sell retail. I know because I had to go there to buy a weird proprietary flapper valve for the FloPro the remodelers installed. It was such a costly thing to replace and would fail rapidly, that I eventually replaced the whole toilet, vowing never to buy another toilet that did not use the standard-type flapper valve and float.

Bruce Wrenn
11-10-2022, 6:33 PM
We replaced all three of ours with American Standard, the non clogging ones, zero issues for years. About $300 or so each.

Been installing American Standard units for years, both professionally and for home use. I don't see a better choice. The American Standards come COMPLETE, except for water line. This even includes little tool to tighten tank and flange bolts. Beware of the Lowes in house brand, as they stock no parts. DAMHIK!

Maurice Mcmurry
11-10-2022, 7:02 PM
BRASS bolts for the tank and flange were included on American Standard toilets last I knew. Kohler's tank bolts that are non in the tank seem OK. We will see if they come apart in a few years. Steel tank bolts and steel flange bolts have never been acceptable to me.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-10-2022, 7:07 PM
BRASS bolts for the tank and flange were included on American Standard toilets last I knew. Kohler's tank bolts that are not in the tank seem OK. We will see if they come apart in a few years. Steel tank bolts and steel flange bolts have never been acceptable to me. Please Ask Me how I Know!

Bill Dufour
11-10-2022, 7:19 PM
Yes, I got another American Standard from Lowes. The elongated bowl was about $29 less. This will be the forth one I have installed. Good flush action and little noise. I like the little raised ledge the tank sits on. It means the tank bottom does not get flooded by splashed liquids.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
11-10-2022, 7:22 PM
What is a skirted toilet? Never heard of it. Looked up Flopro by Ferguson, found many many conventional toilets.
Standard toilet but all the exposed plumbing and fasteners are covered by a extra cast in skirt so the rear half is double walled. To touch any fastener to tighten it you have to reach around and then forward. Easy enough before installing.
Bill D

Jack Frederick
11-10-2022, 11:18 PM
We replaced our Toto with an Icera toilet. It is a one piece which I prefer, looks good and makes the boss happy. My SIL/daughters home has a one piece in a little alcove and it drove me nuts getting that thing right. I had to pull it twice and had to wait for SIL to lift it. I still prefer one piece to two as there is less chance of problems…if they are right.

Cameron Wood
11-18-2022, 12:58 AM
I hate those things & always counsel my clients to avoid them.

I've settled on basic Kohler (now Highline). Decent flush, decent water spot. Decent price.

Two piece toilets are more efficient than one piece, because the water falls further, increasing flush power.

For a simpler, less troubled life: no skirted toilets, no one piece toilets, no colored toilets, no off-brand toilets, no over priced or exotic toilets.

Jack Frederick
11-18-2022, 9:46 AM
In a remodel I will always go with a wall hung toilet. Mount the carrier correctly and they are excellent. Easier to clean under/around.

Jim Becker
11-18-2022, 9:57 AM
In a remodel I will always go with a wall hung toilet. Mount the carrier correctly and they are excellent. Easier to clean under/around.
Even better, the in-wall units are getting a lot more attention in mid to high end designs.

Stan Calow
11-18-2022, 2:01 PM
It's one of my pet peeves that residential bathrooms are not designed for low maintenance to begin with.

Mel Fulks
11-18-2022, 4:58 PM
It's one of my pet peeves that residential bathrooms are not designed for low maintenance to begin with.

Our old upstairs terlet , 1980s , the worst era ever. Over flowed twice , had to replace the floor . So I lowered the floor of the tiny terlet
room , aka “booth” about 1/2” ,or maybe 5/8ths . ‘Course after we bought new terlets they never over-flowed again . But I’m NOT gonna
raise the floor back up. When we are too old to live here the real estate agent will want it level , well that ain’t gonna happen …BUT I WILL
make a nice “ WATCH YOUR STEP” cardboard sign to tack on the door.

Brian Elfert
11-18-2022, 5:18 PM

Most homeowners wouldn't want the sterile look of a commercial bathroom designed for easy cleaning. They are also going to be unlikely to clean their bathroom every day like a commercial bathroom.

Cameron Wood
11-19-2022, 1:06 PM

Easy to clean, but I would add that to my 'no' list- expensive, complicated installation, and not very replaceable. The last one I did like that was not even wall hung, but rear outlet, & it was a huge PIA to find something that would fit.

Down the road, replacing the toilet could be not a $500 job, but a $5,000 job- and that's in today $.