PDA

View Full Version : Buying new Jointer

Joe Cowan
11-09-2022, 2:42 PM
I am going to purchase a new 8" jointer with helical cutterhead. Powermatic (model PJ882HH) is $1000 more than the Grizzley (model G0495X) of the same basic specs. Any thoughts on if the Powermatic is worth the difference? I have had Grizzley products before, but never any Powermatic.

Alex Zeller
11-09-2022, 5:32 PM
I have several Grizzly tools and the PJ882HH (with the US made mobile base). I bought it used. So far it's worked great. It was easy to set up and both the tables and the fence are very flat. Is it worth the extra money for a new one? That's not an easy question. My Grizzly oscillating spindle sander needed nothing. My Grizzly lathe had a magnet fall out of a pully used to display the speed. My Grizzly 19" bandsaw vibrated like crazy but once I replaced the urethane tires with Blue Max brand tires I can balance a dime on edge, start it up, and stop it without it falling over. My 1033X planer has worked great from day one. My Grizzly Chinese made mortiser is just everything that China gets it's bad reputation from. If you have a problem with a Grizzly tool you have a 1 year warranty and you fix it yourself (or deal with sending it back). Over all I've found the Taiwanese Grizzly stuff has been better than the Chinese made stuff. I don't know if it's in stock but I think I would go with the South Bend version for the extra warranty.

Paul J Kelly
11-09-2022, 6:19 PM
Joe,

Powermatic tools seem to have a built in resale value that would be better than that of Grizzly. I think that both will do the job but if you ever wish to move up to a 12" jointer some day then the Powermatic will sell for more.

PK

Joe Cowan
11-09-2022, 6:26 PM
Joe,

Powermatic tools seem to have a built in resale value that would be better than that of Grizzly. I think that both will do the job but if you ever wish to move up to a 12" jointer some day then the Powermatic will sell for more.

PK

Sold my Grizzley 15" planer and 8" jointer last year and moved up to the Hammer A3-31 which is the combo 12" planer/jointer. I loved the 12" jointer but did not like the planer and did not like having to change the machine around to use either. Now back to two stand alone machines. I covet a 12" jointer but it is hard to justify in my hobby shop for the few time I would ever need that much.

Tom Bain
11-09-2022, 7:01 PM
Why not keep the Hammer and just use it as a jointer, and purchase a separate planer?

Joe Cowan
11-09-2022, 7:58 PM
Why not keep the Hammer and just use it as a jointer, and purchase a separate planer?

I thought about that, but decided to sell it at a price and if I did not get that price, keep it as a jointer. It sold and I am now without a jointer.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-10-2022, 7:23 PM
It used to be easy to find out what factory machines were made in. Powermatic has been made in Taiwan, Grizzly is generally made in China.