PDA

View Full Version : Backer board for tool storage

Brian Deakin
11-09-2022, 4:56 AM
At my woodturning club they are planning to mount a 8 x 4 mdf board to which tools will be attached with screws and brackets

I thought plywood or OSB would be a better option

Comments please

Tim Elett
11-09-2022, 6:22 AM
Have you considered peg board. You can then move things as needed and lots of options for hangers.

Maurice Mcmurry
11-09-2022, 7:22 AM
I recently installed a few hundred square feet of Slat Wall for a lady's tack room, (AKA Equestrian Museum). It is an interesting product. It looks good and functions well. I have a spot that I am going to use Slat Wall with real wood veneer to hang a few things.

tom lucas
11-09-2022, 7:34 AM
Anything flat and strong surface should suffice. If it were me, I'd consider a French cleat system. Easily reconfigured without reworking the backer board. Groups of tools can come down on a convenient caddies. So many ways to use it. My next shop is going to have it everywhere.

John K Jordan
11-09-2022, 8:11 AM
My strong choice would be plywood. Second would be MDF and last, OSB.

I covered my interior shop walls (and ceilings) with 1/2” Radiata pine plywood. I bought a bundle and both sides were smooth, no warped sheets, cracks or bulges, no voids visible on the edges or anywhere I made cuts. Takes paint nicely with no prep.

I use screws to mount tools, brackets, shelves, cabinets, and light fixtures anywhere.

Compared to some other options at the time this plywood was relatively inexpensive from a building supply company when I built the shop, 6-7 years ago. For interior use only, this stuff was far, far better than what I found at the big box stores. I’m so glad I bought extra - I still have a dozen or so sheets of 1/2 and 3/4 I use for lots of things.

JKJ

At my woodturning club they are planning to mount a 8 x 4 mdf board to which tools will be attached with screws and brackets

I thought plywood or OSB would be a better option

Comments please

Brian Deakin
11-12-2022, 10:32 AM
Thank you for your posts When I was working as a pharmacist manager I had almost infinite access to both slat wall and some peg board
If you visited the companys regional fitting pool you would see skips filled with various forms of shelving I can even remember seeing metal peg board put in a skip which had never been taken out of the maufactureers packing

I would think this is a pattern many member will recognise Items being avaiable for free but not having a use for them at that piont in time

I have decided to go with Johns suggestion of plywood