PDA

View Full Version : This May Make Electric Motors and EV's Cheaper

Andrew Joiner
11-08-2022, 3:07 PM
Now there may be one more reason to wait to get an electric car. Exciting discovery if it works out.
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2022/11/08/1134461777/they-made-a-material-that-doesnt-exist-on-earth-thats-only-the-start-of-the-stor

Roger Feeley
11-09-2022, 11:45 AM
This could be a very good thing. I particularly like the part where it is iron and nickel.

Ive been watching two thing in the rare earth side.

1. It turns out that there are a lot of fare earths in coal fly ash, the stuff that would go up the smokestack but is filtered. A scientist at Purdue named Linda Wang has come up with a way to economically extract rare earths.

2. Recycling the magnets is very difficult to automate because magnets stick to things. A scientist discovered that rare earth magnets crumble into non-magnetic dust when exposed to hydrogen gas. He cut up some disk drives and put them in a fancy clothes dryer and he can recover the dust.

now I’ll have another thing to follow.

Bradley Gray
11-11-2022, 7:07 AM
We have a house on the Ohio River. For months we have been seeing barges of fly ash headed down river. I would love to think it was being mined.

Roger Feeley
11-11-2022, 11:09 AM
We have a house on the Ohio River. For months we have been seeing barges of fly ash headed down river. I would love to think it was being mined.
As far as I know, it’s not and that’s a shame. An energy company around here (Duke?) they are basically moving the waste from one pond to another. Why not extract the good stuff on the way?