PDA

View Full Version : Pool cues...

Tom Conger
01-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Just curious if anyone has turned any of these.

Getting a new mini with a bed extension, and was thinking it may be another item that can be made.

Anthony Anderson
01-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Tom, this is something that I have wondered about as well. Although I don't have a lathe, this would certainly bump it up on my wish list. Have you researched where to buy the connecting joints? Good Thread. Sorry I couldn't help, but I am very interested in the replies. Thanks, Bill

Bob Noles
01-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Tom,

My first take on this would be the consideration of having to make the cue in 2 pieces as it would exceed the limit of about 40 inches on the lathe. It can be done, but I believe you would have to consider a 2 piece turn and then connected by any number of available means.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Pool cues would be very tough on the lathe. Many people on here have the talent for it, but I sure don't! Pool cues must be very balanced and absolutely straight. Some cues are perfectly straight and just don't feel right...

Tom Conger
01-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Was looking thru some pool cues on line last night. Some of the prices exceed $2k. They seem to be an artform unto themselves.

Would be pretty fun to have some hand made ones, providing they were straight, balanced, and didn't shatter on the break. :)

Chris Lee
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I looked into making a cue and it is not really something you want to try turning by hand. I think most people use CNC machines or a duplicator at best.

I am an avid pool player and there is so much more that goes into a cue than being a round stick. As mentioned the balance as well as weight and strength. You can buy the hardware at several online sources. Pool Cues are definitely art. Some of the more expensive cues are covered in inlay of any exotic you can think of and then some.

Good Luck if you decide to take this on. I have wanted to try but with the tip, ferrel, joints, weight issue, it just seemed like alot of variables.

Chris

Keel McDonald
01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Jeff

I think some of the pool cue manufacturers need to read this about being "very balanced and absolutely straight." Some of the cues I've used over the years are anything but. LOL

Pool cues would be very tough on the lathe. Many people on here have the talent for it, but I sure don't! Pool cues must be very balanced and absolutely straight. Some cues are perfectly straight and just don't feel right...

Tyler Howell
01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
We have a SMC member that is a full time PCM and repair guy. Search the files and I'll see if I can find his web.
Some pretty interesting and heavy duty equipment he has to turn out the good stuff.
Maybe he'll chime in.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Jeff

I think some of the pool cue manufacturers need to read this about being "very balanced and absolutely straight." Some of the cues I've used over the years are anything but. LOL

That's for sure! I have given up on public cues, they all suck :) Also I don't take my own cues anymore because it never fails that some idiot picks it up and starts abusing it! :)

Chris Lee
01-25-2006, 1:18 PM
A good friend owns an upscale pool hall and offers Mucci Cues as a house cue, but your typical pool hall/bar offering sneaky pete's or a 1 piece cue will most likely be warped. I think we all know wood moves and that is without the help of a few drunks who want to show off.

I play a Russ Espiritu that is curly maple with ebony points and mother of pearl inlay. Needless to say I won't take this to a normal pool hall. Too many idiots.

Chris

Jason Wulff
01-25-2006, 4:09 PM
Tom,

You might want to check this site out. I've thought about this as well and found this site a few months ago. I'm waiting for their DVD to be completed which was to be mid January but now has been pushed back to May.

http://www.cuecomponents.com/cuebuvi.html

Jason

John Hart
01-26-2006, 6:54 AM
Mike Glazer and I were talking about this a few weeks ago, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that you would need a lot more patience than I have....and it would take a very good eye. Get yourself a good Steady Rest! You're a better man than I. ;) Good luck!

Tom Conger
01-26-2006, 12:26 PM
Read thru a bit of that site.

Looks to me like turning pool cues on a PSI Turncrafter Pro is not an option. :)