PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for a Cedar shower bench

Daniel Bejarano
11-07-2022, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I am building a shower bench with white cedar and some of the joints are bridle joints. I know there is the option of using Titebond for water proof applications or polyurethane Gorilla glue, which can be a bit messy if you are not careful

Has anyone done a similar project requiring a water proof adhesive, who can provide some advice?

Most of the parts for the bench are 1-1/2” thick, and according to the drawing require to be joint with a bridle joint. I know mortise and tenon would seem more ideal but the client wants to see the corners with a bridle joint.

On top of that the bench has handles that have a curve to it. My stock is 2” thick so for the curves I am planning to join the wood and make it thick enough to create the curves

I will appreciate any insight or advice as to how to go about this project

Jim Morgan
11-07-2022, 2:44 PM
Epoxy. (Extra characters)

Cameron Wood
11-07-2022, 5:46 PM
I've had good results with tightbond III and polyurethane glue both. A trivet type thing in the sink has been in not-quite standing water for over 5 years and is doing fine, and a gate portico with laminated curved rafters is at least 15 years old, for a couple of examples (TBIII). Mostly use polyurethane for smaller, specialty things these days as TBIII has proven itself, and has a longer shelf life. The only problem was when trying to glue up in 40 degree temps- that didn't work.

andy bessette
11-08-2022, 12:54 AM
Epoxy...

WEST epoxy.

Bradley Gray
11-08-2022, 4:37 AM
Stainless fasteners and no glue.

Daniel Bejarano
11-08-2022, 6:56 AM
Stainless fasteners for a brittle joint ??? Maybe you didn’t read correctly

Bradley Gray
11-08-2022, 8:29 AM
Brittle joint?

I wouldn't use glue on anything that stayed wet.

Its your project.

andy bessette
11-08-2022, 8:33 AM
Brittle joint?

I wouldn't use glue on anything that stayed wet.

Its your project.

You'd have a tough time with boat building then. :)

Anyway, a shower seat should not stay wet.

Rich Engelhardt
11-08-2022, 8:47 AM
20 plus years ago I made my wife a wishing well. I used treated lumber and Gorilla (the foaming one that makes everything brown)
Just the Summer we tore it down.
All the joints were still tight.

Phillip Mitchell
11-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Showing the design, joinery details, how it will take on and shed water, and what type, if any, of finish you intend to use will all have a bearing on recommendations.

Seems like good epoxy, TB III or polyurethane glue could all be options but kinda depends on some of the details, IMO.

andrew whicker
11-08-2022, 10:43 AM
epoxy the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lFoUAKkYWU&t=1s