PDA

View Full Version : WoodRiver Moxon Vise HW Kit

Mark Godlesky
11-06-2022, 9:13 PM
Has anyone made a vise with this kit? It's on sale for $80 this month at Woodcraft. I am thinking it's not much more expensive than collecting the hardware myself from Grainger, MCS, etc.so maybe I'll just buy it. I see Rob Cosman is selling a "Cosmanized" version so I'm guessing the quality is at least decent.

Tom Bussey
11-08-2022, 8:16 AM
If you factor in all the work you will be doing after you get the supplies, Woodcraft is cheaper. A lot of you know I make vise kits every once in a while to sell. My wheels aren't as polished as Bench Crafted but in terms of quality just as functional. Derek uses a set of my hardware. I usually ask $115 which also covers shipping. At $80 I can't compete. If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage. Not complaining just stating fact. Not wort my time.

I can't speak for the quality of their parts but $80 dollars plus shipping I think it is worth try. If you are going to use it every day then maybe it isn't such a good deal.

Jim Koepke
11-08-2022, 11:59 AM
If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage.

People in China, along with many other countries, probably do not have a minimum wage.

jtk

John Keeton
11-08-2022, 8:09 PM
The old rule of “one gets what one pays for” rarely has an exception.

Frederick Skelly
11-09-2022, 5:13 PM
Another alternative is at Tools For Working Wood. It is $75 and a couple of us here have it and use it for our moxons. LINK (https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-MOX.XX?searchterm=mox)

(But Mr. Bussey makes a mighty fine set for only a little more money.)

Mark Godlesky
11-10-2022, 1:45 AM
Thanks all for the input. I have a local Woodcraft so I'll probably go check it out.

Derek Cohen
11-10-2022, 7:18 AM
If you factor in all the work you will be doing after you get the supplies, Woodcraft is cheaper. A lot of you know I make vise kits every once in a while to sell. My wheels aren't as polished as Bench Crafted but in terms of quality just as functional. Derek uses a set of my hardware. I usually ask $115 which also covers shipping. At $80 I can't compete. If I tried to compete at that price I would make less than minimum wage. Not complaining just stating fact. Not wort my time.

I can't speak for the quality of their parts but $80 dollars plus shipping I think it is worth try. If you are going to use it every day then maybe it isn't such a good deal.

Tom, this is off topic, but I think you would like to know (as might others here): Look at the latest FWW Tools & Shops magazine (page 78), and you will see your hardware there :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tom Bussey
11-10-2022, 9:41 AM
I am sorry if I came off badly, I didn't mean to. I know Mark wants to build a Moxon vise, And from a price point I do not blame him for considering the one Woodcraft has for sale. I know that I have done the same thing. For the average woodworker, the moxon vise is not a daily user and from a price point, hard to pas up. I built my moxon vise into my bench but to be truthful I haven't set it up in over a year. It just seems to me that if the wood working catalogs thinks it can sell something, they go for it, and China is the place to have it produced.

Again I do not know how to write about what I am feeling. I read about there being nothing is manufactured here anymore, and here is a prime example. On the other hand there are a lot pf products being manufactured here that are way overpriced to the point of gouging. I do not have the answers.

Thomas Crawford
11-10-2022, 3:18 PM
If you are looking for a cheaper route I just bought 2 acme threaded screws and 2 nuts and epoxied a wood handle on it. Maybe $30? But that was probably 7-8 years ago.