PDA

View Full Version : Performax

Anthony Anderson
01-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi All, I am ready to buy a Performax 22-44 sander, but have a couple of questions before doing so. I have read the threads from the archives, therefore I know a lot of people on this site have them, and most are happy, and so the decision to get one is made (unlike the Sawstop, just can't drop that $3k+ yet, but I have been very conscious about safety as a result, upgraded the fence of my current saw and an overarm blade guard, and going to add a splitter).
The questions
How many people who have the Performax bought the infeed/outfeed tables? If so, do you feel you really need them? If not, is using the sander a pain without them? Has anyone built the infeed/outfeed tables?

Also has anyone built a rolling cabinet stand for their sander? My shop is small and has reached the limit on machinery that I can fit into it, so I have to use every square inch of space. I was thinking of a rolling base with drawers for storage. Good idea, or just buy the open stand (seems like a waste of space to me)?

Thanks for any and all help, Regards, Bill

Dave Tinley
01-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Since you have done your research you know the pros and cons. My only advice is to spend a good amount of time leveling the drum to the conveyor belt/table.

I had a 16/32 with the open stand and infeed/outfeed tables, Now I have the 22/44 without the infeed/outfeed tables, cant say as I miss them. Of course the longest stock I feed thru is about 40 inches.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Dan Owen
01-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Bill

I have the Performax 22-44 and after a little adjusting works very well. I have never felt the need for the infeed/outfeed tables. The max length stock I run through is generally around 8 feet. The feed is slow enough that I can comfortably feed the stock while stepping aroud to the other side and support it on the outfeed.

I have the rolling open stand which came with the sander. It rolls nice and provides instant set up for the sander. It also has practical storage space underneath. A shop built rolling cabinet would work great for the sander so I think it depends on how you want to utilize shop space and storage. I don't use the sander alot, so I like the manuverabilty and weight of the stand as far as rolling in and out of the way and to the nearest dust collection hose.

Sincerely,
Dan Owen

Dan Owen

Jason Tuinstra
01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Anthony, while I don't have the in/out table, I think that they would be helpful and wish that I had purchased them initially. On the longer stock it would come in handy, but I've managed to use other things in the shop to help (table saw, shop tables, etc.). Necessary, no. But I think that they would be helpful in preventing the snipe that can happen on longer pieces.

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
I bought the infeed/outfeed tables and wouldn't do it again, simply because of their "fixed" nature. That makes storage in the "tool corral" a little harder. If I had made them, I would have done a folding design for more compact parking. But you really do need the support, whether you buy or build unless you only run very short pieces. As to the cabinet...I have a thread here at SMC detailing the same.

Tyler Howell
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
22/44 No Tables Don't miss them

Keith Barkhau
01-25-2006, 3:40 PM
I just picked up a 22-44 for Christmas, but have put several hours of use into it already. I did not get the infeed-outfeed tables mostly due to their fixed nature and the space they take up. I haven't had any issue so far, however I do see where they would be useful, especially on the outfeed side. I am considering making a small work table at the correct height so it can double as an outfeed tabe when needed.

On the subject of a cart, I just use the Performax open stand with a set of casters, although I did go with a $30 set of Rockler casters instead of the $100+ Performax set. Has worked great for me so far.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase--I certainly do!

Anthony Anderson
01-25-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ordered the Performax 22-44 today. No outfeed tables and no stand. I will build a mobile base with drawers.

Jim Becker do you know about what month/year you posted the thread on the stand you built? You don't know what its like to search for a thread started by someone who has 15,000 posts:D. Also what paper does everyone use? Do you go with the stock performax paper, Klingspor or something else? Again, Thanks. I really appreciate the help. Regards, Bill

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Bill, get to know the "Advanced Search" function which is much easier to find something that looks like a needle in a hay-stack. ;) Especially from someone who has a rather prodigious tendency to open his trap... :o

An advanced search on "Threads started by Jim Becker in the General Woodworking Forum with the keyword Performax" (my wording...fill in the fields) brings up 6 threads...here is the one you want:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=581353