PDA

View Full Version : moisture meters

Jack Frederick
11-06-2022, 12:49 AM
Mine has decided it has had enough an no longer does its thing. I don’t want to spend a fortune, but what is a decent meter?

Lee Schierer
11-06-2022, 7:18 AM
I have an older mini ligno with leds that light up to show the moisture level. It works well for my needs.

Gary Petersen
11-06-2022, 8:58 AM
Same as Lee for me. I bought one at an estate sale a few years back and it works well for my needs. Mine has the pins you drive or push into the wood, which I prefer to the surface meters, but that's perhaps personal preference.

Warren Lake
11-06-2022, 11:20 AM
I have a Delmorst with over 30 years on it. Pro unit been great. Last year something acted up and smelled a burned part. My view the battery compartment is so tight it puts pressure on other stuff and makes me wonder if it caused an issue. Thinking I will try and find an electronic wizard who can tell me if it can be repaired rather than buy new.

Jonathan Jung
11-06-2022, 12:05 PM
Bought a lightly used Lignomat SD pinless on ebay for about $120 and don't regret it at all. Pinless is the way to go specially for slabs.

Ed Aumiller
11-06-2022, 12:12 PM
I have a Delmhorst J3 pin-type, a General pin-type and a Wagner MMC-220 pinless... The General bought at Lowes for $15 (on clearance) and it compares very close to both the others...

Lowes now sells a pinless General for $50 and several others in that price range.. expect any of them would work for home / hobby use and be close....

I prefer the Wagner pinless for general use and the Delmhorst for when I sell lumber (rarely any more)...

The General looks just like the two Calculated Industries models, so probably same unit, different name.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=moisture%20meter