PDA

View Full Version : Work shoes

andrew whicker
11-05-2022, 1:01 PM
Hi,

I usually use old running shoes for working, but now that I'm full time I'm wearing out my already worn out running shoes to the point of ridiculous-ness.

I might as well become a proper professional and have an actual pair of work shoes. Not to mention, I have zero cushion left on my running shoes. I also generally like having my toe box and heel at either the same height or close ("zero drop"). Basically, I'm just looking for comfort, not much heel rise (if any), and a beefy exterior. Pretty simple.

Happy to do my own research obviously, but thought I would ask around see what people like.

Thanks much and cheers!

David Bassett
11-05-2022, 1:49 PM
I think it's more about fit than anything else, so recommendations often aren't that helpful.

My foot is very wide across the ball of the foot and narrow in the heel, so unusual and very hard to fit.

Some things I've learned. Keen has a range that can be more than wide enough for me, but is often loose in the heel. They also have low-top and "sneaker-style" safety-toe shoes. Hytest has a few wider models and seem to be good quality, sorta' OK fit on me. Redwing seemed really good quality and the staff in their local store was helpful, but they couldn't come close to fitting me.

Good luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-05-2022, 1:53 PM
I prefer walking shoes with flat soles for working in my shop. When working in the yard or garden I prefer boots or shoes with just a plain sole and heel without all the safety lugs so popular today.

Cameron Wood
11-05-2022, 2:00 PM
Depends on what you're doing. I've worn Redwing boots for many years- the safety toes make a good place to rest heavy items.

A key requirement for me is minimal tread as I go in & out of clients houses a lot. Heavy Vibram soles leave a trail of debris and unhappiness.

Bill Dufour
11-05-2022, 3:28 PM
5.11, high tec, and royal robbins, are all inter related and have some boots that would work in a shop.
Bill D

Bryan Hall
11-05-2022, 4:49 PM
I've been wearing the 8" danner quarry boots for years. They need more cushy inserts for working on concrete but for everything else they are great. I just tried a pair of keens for the first time, way softer on my joints, but they rub my ankles pretty bad, will need some breaking in.

Phillip Mitchell
11-05-2022, 6:12 PM
I have had good luck with Danner shoes / boots. The Vicious boot with composite toe has really impressed me when I worked as a carpenter, etc, on site. I got about 5 years out of 2 pair back to back. Before that I went through several pairs of Keens. Never got more than 9 months or so out of any Keens, though they are comfortable.

I have been able to find the Vicious boot for 50% off both times I bought them which was very nice.

I like other Danner shoes as well and have worn a few other lighter duty models for shop work.

Paul Haus
11-05-2022, 7:59 PM
Depends on what you're doing. I've worn Redwing boots for many years- the safety toes make a good place to rest heavy items.

A key requirement for me is minimal tread as I go in & out of clients houses a lot. Heavy Vibram soles leave a trail of debris and unhappiness.

I've bought and used a lot of different brands of shoes over the years. The ones I think I like the most are a pair of Caterpillar brand high tops with steel toes in them. They protect well and they have thick soles that help a lot with walking on concrete floors.

Tom Bain
11-05-2022, 9:20 PM
Keens are my go-to … they even have some models that are actually made in the USA

Christopher Herzog
11-05-2022, 9:27 PM
Red Wing for me. Just like my dad only I take safety toe, he hated them.

Bryan Hall
11-06-2022, 1:52 AM
Keens are my go-to … they even have some models that are actually made in the USA

The USA made ones are nice and light compared to my danners!

John Kananis
11-06-2022, 9:42 AM
I've had some back issues lately (bad ones) so I went on a search and settled on the "crocs on the clock" (not the normal crocs) for use in the shop and I'm really liking them. Very well supportive, comfortable and bouncy even. They have a rubber insole that fits inside the rubber shoe and even walking on concrete isn't bad with them. Idk if I'd wear them on a work site but awesome for the shop so far.

Tom M King
11-06-2022, 9:45 AM
Wearing boots makes me tire easily. I move a Lot, and have to live in running shoes that are a good fit. I wear boots when I have to, like when running a chainsaw to keep the chips out of my shoes. Feet are so individual that I don't see how any one person can make a good recommendation to anyone else.

Jack Frederick
11-06-2022, 9:58 AM
As you have gotten by with sneakers and upgrade would be the Merrill, Oboz, etc hiking shoe. It’s largely what fits you best and that is just trying them on. For a “real” work boot, I’ve worn Red Wings for over 50 yrs. Still a good boot and i understand they are pulling their manuf back from off shore. A US made, and excellent boot/shoe line is Chippewa. I bought a boot from LL Bean about 20 yrs ago called the Engineer boot. It was made by Chippewa and about the best fitting shoe I’ve ever worn. But that is my feet.

Scott T Smith
11-06-2022, 11:01 AM

Me too. I've worn Keen's for close to 10 years now - every day - in the shop and on concrete. Safety toe boots are a must for me.

Rich Markiewicz
11-06-2022, 1:18 PM
I would recommend going to a good work boot store, and try on lots of pairs. It took me a lot of trial-&-error to find the Danners that I like. Also, ask which Last the shoe/boot is built on. Any boot built on the same Last will have a very similar fit. I can now order my boots online, knowing which Last and size fits my (odd) feet. Good luck, good boots are well worth it.

Justin Rapp
11-06-2022, 2:47 PM
Flip Flops (like you see on videos of wood mills and work shops in Asia and South America). ::) JOKE. Wear what is comfortable on your feet but also protective and depends on what you build. If you are moving heavy boards or slabs around, a more protective shoe might me a good idea, vs just something light and comfortable for sanding a cutting board.

Jim Becker
11-06-2022, 5:14 PM
I honestly have tried a number of "work shoes" over the years; the latest being Keen's, and I still go back to my beloved Sketchers Go-Walk Max with "fitted" Dr. Scholl's insoles spec'd out by a machine in the local Bed Bath and Beyond store. I can't stand the weight of "work shoes" and find them to be uncomfortable to stand in for a long period of time. It has nothing to do with the quality of the various shoes I've tried (some sent back and some not, but donated when they were not returnable); rather, it's about my feet.

Bill Dufour
11-06-2022, 5:52 PM
I find I can buy almost new boots from the bay for less the 1/3 the price of new. I take size 14 or 15 so not much in brick and mortar stores for me anyway.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
11-06-2022, 8:54 PM
Andrew, it really makes a difference in what you do. If you are always on the go but not in need of safety shoes, you might try Chippewa. A medical tech told me the nurses and other medical workers who were on their feet most of the day swore by them.

For me, Sketchers are a comfortable shoe. My main problem is I am prone to building up static and the Sketchers seem to exacerbate the condition. My Vans shoes seem to not create static charge.

It might be a good idea to ask your coworkers what shoes they wear.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
11-06-2022, 9:42 PM
Been wearing the same pair of New Balance shoes, fitted by my foot doctor's office, seven days a week for the last four years. Because I am a type II diabetic, my insurance pays 80%, which means I still pay out around eighty bucks. It's almost time for a new pair before the end of the year.

Paul Saffold
11-07-2022, 8:50 AM
My last 2 pairs of work, more like casual, shoes are OrthoFeet. I have hammertoes and haven't worn safety shoes since I retired in 2005. They have a wide and tall toe box which are more comfortable for me. They have a very generous return policy and pay return shipping.

Roman Polishchuk
02-11-2024, 3:45 PM
If this is still relevant for you (or someone else), then here is a wonderful article with a review of zero-drop boots https://b-shoes.com/best-zero-drop-work-boots/
I discovered barefoot shoes about a year ago. My legs have changed since then. They became healthier and stronger